Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. switching over from oven to press
    By bycandlelight27 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-06-2014, 09:59 PM
  2. Press or Oven
    By Dave271069 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 05:14 PM
  3. mug press, jml oven, or both?
    By jimsters in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27-02-2011, 11:45 AM
  4. press V oven
    By candleman6500 in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
  5. Press vs. oven
    By chocitiger in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17-08-2010, 12:35 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to dye sub - oven or mug press?

Hello! I’ve just joined the forum a few days ago and have been reading lots of your really helpful posts to help me get started printing my own mugs. I’m a designer and have until now been outsourcing my mug manufacture but would like to start printing my own mugs now.

So, I was initially thinking it would be a simple mug press I would get, but after some reading, I’m wondering if a small oven might be better? And am I right in thinking, this can be a simple table top halogen oven you can get somewhere like Argos etc?? What ovens do you guys use?

I would like to print dog bowls too you see, so thinking an oven might be best for my business? Can you use an oven to print other items too?

Any advice you can give me on starting out would be much appreciated! Thanks so much.

Laura.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hi Laura and welcome to the forum :-)

We use both presses and an oven depending on the job size. It really comes down to how many you're printing, if it's 1 or 2 here and there go for a single head press, if you're printing say 20 a day upwards you could justify an oven. We cook 12 at a time but can get more in if needs be.

With the correct dog bowls and wraps you could do these as well. Some members use the small halogen ovens but we have one of the Blizzard commercial ovens which works perfectly.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Justin for your quick reply.

I looked at the Blizzard ovens but they seem to be a full size regular oven, right? I would need one that fits on a table as I work from home. Or, could I just use my house oven??

The quantity I will be printing will vary, which is part of the reason I want to start printing my own mugs so I don’t need to order large quantities of one design from a manufacturer. Some days I will print 10-20 mugs, others just one bespoke design.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, welcome to the forums Laura.

I wouldn't recommend the house oven if you are cooking food in it. Inks are chemicals after all.

If you're doing small quantity bespoke mugs, go for an ordinary mug press.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s a fair point about using the home oven! Hadn’t even considered that. Thank you!

Argh, I just don’t know what to do now. Read so much on both options I’m totally stumped which to choose! Are either of these mug presses decent to start with?

https://www.thetransferpress.co.uk/s...gs-c2x30591376

https://signzworld.co.uk/shop/uk-pre...tion-printing/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I did decide to try the oven option, do folk just use a table top oven you can buy on Amazon, Argos etc? Like this one;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Coo...7&sr=8-15&th=1

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just want to initially start out one standard mugs and have limited space then a press would be straight forward. It where most start out and probably simpler option. If you want more complex shaped/sized mugs then probably an oven. Even when it comes to volume production of hundreds or higher every day, presses can work just fine. We have both ovens and many presses. We only use the ovens for the less standard mugs such as Jumbo/Latte etc. The presses do most of the bulk work but have the benefit of switching on and having a single mug printed within 5 minutes which includes heating up from cold.

Further down the line and if things are going well for you then you will likely have both options running and then horses for courses. So neither would really be a waste with which ever you prefer on starting out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraMargaret View Post
    If I did decide to try the oven option, do folk just use a table top oven you can buy on Amazon, Argos etc? Like this one;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Coo...7&sr=8-15&th=1
    Hi Laura,
    When using the mug wraps, I just use a halogen oven similar to this, and it works a treat.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-17-...g/141766755863
    - Just make sure you go for one with an extender ring for the extra height.
    As with most ovens, the temps can be a bit out so I strongly recommend buying an oven thermometer to stick inside.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura, printwear and promotion show is next sun mon tues and there will be suppliers of sublimation supplies there you can visit. If your starting out then a mug press is probably the way to go and progress from there, the mug press will always be useful too, some have multiple jackets to do a variety of mug shapes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk