Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Insta heat press broken
    By Digital Designs in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-01-2019, 12:41 PM
  2. ST-3042 broken temp gauge?
    By spartagates in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2016, 04:49 PM
  3. Is my Signzworld cutter broken?
    By muckyducky in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2015, 09:04 PM
  4. broken eventually ;-(
    By bigj2552 in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 09:58 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My heatpress has broken down Grrrr!

Yesterday my Adkins Beta maxi's main switches green light went out, annoying but not terminal. Today however on turning it on I got an electrical zizzling noise (you'll all have heard it on something somewhere) and off it went into I'm not working today mode. Bit annoying really but ive enough on not to panic and well it's Friday.

I replaced the switch about 7 months ago, so i spoke with Adkins today and engineer Steve said the power going through the switches requires tip top connector condition with a good firm connection as they take a lot of current so might need to replace the wiring or at least the connectors but wont know until it's opened up for a look to see how things are. Fair enough.

So I've opened it and yup the switch is toast (again) with the connectors all charred and pretty much fubar. Decision now is do I order the bits on Monday and just repair myself which I'm capable of doing (switch is about a fiver and new wiring I'd guess at no more than £20) or do I send it off for an Adkins makeover - full refurbishment for the princely sum of about £250 (probably plus vat but that's not an issue) it covers everything except circuit boards heat plate and the chassis, everything else is reviewed and replaced as necessary.

Decisions decisions, the quick fix is get the bits here for Tuesday and spend an hour or two fixing it up but do I owe the old girl a refurb, she's 2012 but not in bad shape all told. No real wear on it. I think they lend you one in the meantime too but I do have an auto open sefa tucked away somewhere,,,, however if i pull that out and start using it I reckon the Adkins would be out into retirement anyway! Space is the issue at the moment though it's soon to be doubled when the workshop extension is complete so I'll have the room for two presses.

So guys do you all just send yours off and bite the bullet (but save yourself the hassle and time) or take the diy route? Humour me, it's Friday and I'm a bit bored!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apologies for answering with point of view rather than having done this but if our maxi press died we would certainly send off. I presume its use is for business rather than hobby so why play with fire. Send it off for a spa day rather than buying it a foot spa from argos :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No apologies needed Mr mugs, any response or points of view welcome, as said it was a lazy Friday afternoon, felt a bit bored (so nothing was pressing,, oh excuse the pun there) so poked the fire as it were with my post. Yes it's business use and yes time is money and so often it's better time spent doing your business. I'm quite a hands on and enjoy, on finding problems dealing with the solutions so if I can fix them then I'm a bit like well I can do that myself but equally sometimes I think sod it I know I could but I wont and someone else can (for a fee)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would consider the power switch on an adkins a 5 year consumable.
    You can get 3 for about £10 and a spade crimping tool for about the same.
    Switching 15 amps is a big deal, so really need great contacts or will generate heat and fail.
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    its use is for business rather than hobby so why play with fire. Send it off for a spa day rather than buying it a foot spa from argos

spot on....
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was at P&P show yesterday (Monday) but phoned engineer back after lunch and discussed the findings. He arranged necessary components, new switch, fuse to switch leads, spare crimp connectors and I decided to add couple fuseholders, just in case together with couple spare fuses. Arrived in the post about 10am this morning (Tuesday). Installed and reassembled in about half an hour, new crimps fitted nice and tight. Time is money so sensible and much quicker route given the overall good condition of the press. Even gave it a wipe over and greased the moving parts for good measure. Maybe I should have added a spare switch for next time Logobear as it's not an uncommon occurrence but quite easily remedied, hardest part being drifting out the pressure knob retaining pin. I would say however to anyone else in a similar situation, do not attempt these types of undertakings if you are inexperienced with the repair of electrical items.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mr-gobby For This Useful Post:

GermanDyeSub (21-01-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mr Gobby,
    the trick with the drift pin, - is a 4 inch nail with the point cut off.
    I also make a cardboard collar for around the neck so the pin doesn't fall in/down when putting it back in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

9. The Following User Says Thank You to logobear For This Useful Post:

mr-gobby (22-01-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    and you can get the 15amp 2 pole switch from RS componants, or similar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I used a 4mm drill bit taped up and taped some 1mm window packers around the top as protection as I drifted it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk