Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express, Signzworld and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

  1. help opening and converting Melco File please
    By logodigitizing in forum Embroidery
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 24-10-2017, 12:14 PM
  2. cap embroidery
    By ssp in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2016, 03:38 PM
  3. embroidery
    By calvinabc in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2016, 10:41 PM
  4. How much to get into embroidery?
    By Dave271069 in forum Embroidery
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 29-10-2012, 04:34 PM
  5. Im looking to get into embroidery...
    By chongsta in forum Embroidery
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    574
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Looking to get in to Embroidery Melco

    Hi Guys as we have moved to a new shop we get a lot of small business guys turn up and wanting T shirts done , lot of ppl asking for embroidery which we don't do right now . So decided to add a machine as it can open up lot of new paths . I was looking to buy a used machine but don't really find any good deals , contacted Amaya for Melco and they offered a one @10900 (Free Cap attachments and hoops etc ) . What do you guys think , what do you think about Melco machines (I like the fact that they work as a modular system so you can add more heads any time ). They dont offer a digitising software ( Cost £1750).Please share your ideas guys .Thanks in advance .

  2. #2
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    dorchester
    Posts
    926
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for used equipment then Ralawise run a site called the Print Exchange for used equipment. Worth checking, but remember that you are buying from the seller, so usually sold as seen.
    https://www.theprintexchange.com/

    Embroidery has never appealed to me - I have enough 'slow' one at a time processes as it is. I occasionally sub embroidery out to a local supplier.
    The consensus among a lot of smaller embroiderers is find an outside digitiser. There is a learning curve to doing it yourself, and until you know what you are doing it can be time consuming to get it right.

    Personally, for £10k+ before making a decision I would also be considering either a DTF printer (much faster than embroidery) or a solvent printer ( opens up even more avenues).

  3. #3
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    574
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pw66 View Post
    If you are looking for used equipment then Ralawise run a site called the Print Exchange for used equipment. Worth checking, but remember that you are buying from the seller, so usually sold as seen.
    https://www.theprintexchange.com/

    Embroidery has never appealed to me - I have enough 'slow' one at a time processes as it is. I occasionally sub embroidery out to a local supplier.
    The consensus among a lot of smaller embroiderers is find an outside digitiser. There is a learning curve to doing it yourself, and until you know what you are doing it can be time consuming to get it right.



    Personally, for £10k+ before making a decision I would also be considering either a DTF printer (much faster than embroidery) or a solvent printer ( opens up even more avenues).
    Thanks for the input . Ive tried Ralawise print exchange , no one ever replied to me in there , tried to message ppl many times !! . I have a eco Sol Printer Cutter and also a DTG and Embroidery is the one missing .Embroidery is different to all the others and I thought having it on offer we can build up other sales too .I know its a lot of Money and this is why I was looking for s used machine and for nearly 6 months I couldn't get a good deal .

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    camberly
    Posts
    8,469
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I own Brother but if I was buying it again now, I would go for Melco.
    Regarding modular, everytime you would like to expand, it would cost you not as a new head. It's a new machine. So cost is much higher then buying 2 head machine.
    Last edited by Paul; 19-08-2021 at 08:22 PM.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Germany-NRW
    Posts
    1,257
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Melco are good machines but I was put off by their thread tension system which is different to other embroidery machines. Support will be very important too. No support then its a waste of time. The Melco was also the most expensive machine to buy.
    All single heads are modular and can be added to so dont be tricked by that.
    And 10,000 plus is expensive. I was just offered a single head Barudan for 7K.
    You will never get rich from a single embroidery machine. In one hour you can embroider 3 to 4 front logos at 10 pounds each if you are lucky. In the same time you can print at least 10 t-shirts, front and back with a win of around 5pounds each.
    But if you go with it you will not be disappointed provided you find the customers. After a year you could be buying your second single head and then a few years later a 4 head. And thats when you can start making money.
    Digitising software is needed too. I went with Wilcom and upgraded every few years to keep up to the latest version. Really not sure you need a full , all singing and dancing software to start with as a basic version that can be upgraded when you get more customers could be the way to go.
    What embroidery will give you is an advantage over other print shops. Once the customer is with you they will stay with you as you will have their design in your computer.
    Other advice I can give you is dont offer cheap prices. Customers dont know embroidery prices. If they say the guy down the road offers to do it at half your price then tell them to go to the other shop.
    Anything else you want to know then please ask. I run Barudan and Tajima machines.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl Smith For This Useful Post:

    Ravisteam (19-08-2021)

  7. #6
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    574
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Smith View Post
    Melco are good machines but I was put off by their thread tension system which is different to other embroidery machines. Support will be very important too. No support then its a waste of time. The Melco was also the most expensive machine to buy.
    All single heads are modular and can be added to so dont be tricked by that.
    And 10,000 plus is expensive. I was just offered a single head Barudan for 7K.
    You will never get rich from a single embroidery machine. In one hour you can embroider 3 to 4 front logos at 10 pounds each if you are lucky. In the same time you can print at least 10 t-shirts, front and back with a win of around 5pounds each.
    But if you go with it you will not be disappointed provided you find the customers. After a year you could be buying your second single head and then a few years later a 4 head. And thats when you can start making money.
    Digitising software is needed too. I went with Wilcom and upgraded every few years to keep up to the latest version. Really not sure you need a full , all singing and dancing software to start with as a basic version that can be upgraded when you get more customers could be the way to go.
    What embroidery will give you is an advantage over other print shops. Once the customer is with you they will stay with you as you will have their design in your computer.
    Other advice I can give you is dont offer cheap prices. Customers dont know embroidery prices. If they say the guy down the road offers to do it at half your price then tell them to go to the other shop.
    Anything else you want to know then please ask. I run Barudan and Tajima machines.
    Thank you very much for your detailsed explanation .

    I was just about to buy a Melco but had a chat with a Ricoma sales guy and he kind a changed my mind about these Modular machines , he said the samething as you , e offered me a Ricoma 15 needle at 8500 and a SWF for 9k .Also Ive got a offer for a Tajima Sai 8 needle machine nearly new used about 2 hrs max for £4200.
    What do you think I should go for ??. How about the Tajima Sai ??.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Germany-NRW
    Posts
    1,257
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi . Dont know the Tajima Sai. They have so many models but this looks like a "starter" or hobby machine. A bit like the Brother PR machines. As its a Tajima it will be very good Im sure. https://sai.tajima.com/en/ At 4,200 that seems to me like a good price. You will be limited with the size of sewing field If you are planning on doing backs of Polos for example you will need to be able to do 25cm wide. Ive recently run some Jkt backs at 41cm wide on my Barudans so you will eventually be asked to do that size.
    Ricoma, Ive not heard good reviews and SWF I believe its hard to find replacement parts if it goes wrong.
    If I was you I would get in touch directly with the UK Tajima and Barudan people. If Ive been offered a Barudan single head at 7K in Germany then Im sure you will find something similar over there.
    There is one other very good machine you have not mentioned and that is the ZSK. Made in Germany, just down the road from me.
    Feel free to PM me if you want and I will do my best to help.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    larbert
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, we supply DTG trade printing service, no minimum order quantity or setup charge with good margins. Is that an option for you, Bernard

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    larbert
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have added we have Kornit Avalanche great results on dark garments.

  11. #10
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    574
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Smith View Post
    Hi . Dont know the Tajima Sai. They have so many models but this looks like a "starter" or hobby machine. A bit like the Brother PR machines. As its a Tajima it will be very good Im sure. https://sai.tajima.com/en/ At 4,200 that seems to me like a good price. You will be limited with the size of sewing field If you are planning on doing backs of Polos for example you will need to be able to do 25cm wide. Ive recently run some Jkt backs at 41cm wide on my Barudans so you will eventually be asked to do that size.
    Ricoma, Ive not heard good reviews and SWF I believe its hard to find replacement parts if it goes wrong.
    If I was you I would get in touch directly with the UK Tajima and Barudan people. If Ive been offered a Barudan single head at 7K in Germany then Im sure you will find something similar over there.
    There is one other very good machine you have not mentioned and that is the ZSK. Made in Germany, just down the road from me.
    Feel free to PM me if you want and I will do my best to help.
    Great Thanks for your reply and ill defo pm you if I need to .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •