Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Smash Proof Boxes, Really???
    By Designandgift in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 27-11-2015, 06:48 AM
  2. Acetate and smash proof mug boxes.
    By galerion in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-06-2014, 12:54 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheapest smash proof boxes and mailers.

I currently buy the polystyrene mug mailers from mdp then wrap them with brown paper and stick a label on.

But the polystyrene mug mailers are £39 +vat for 100
    which adds a fair whack to each mug.
    The cardboard smashproof mailers I have just had a ball ache with, arriving smashed to bits which defeats the object surely?
    but I still use the card mailers if I send 2 or more as they then go into a larger double wall box.

Is there a cheap supplier for the two?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had lots of problems with smashed mugs in cardboard mailers. I tried bubble wrap inside, and when the problem continued, adding a layer of big bubble wrap outside the box. This took far too much time, and I still suffered broken mugs. I reluctantly changed to polystyrene, and haven't had a smashed mug since (touch wood!!). I bought mine from Custompac, and they were a little cheaper than the price you quoted.

I would have preferred to keep using cardboard, as it is recyclable, but each broken mug costs too much money, as the courier company won't provide cover for breakable items like mugs, and it is poor customer service to have to send the item to a customer more than once. I don't know what the courier companies do with small boxes - maybe they are a convenient football when it is quiet in the depot!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulH For This Useful Post:

Mrteajunkie (30-01-2020)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stock the smashproof boxes from SB's, and have sent thousands, including international orders and yes, we've had breakages in the past especially around the festive period but not as many as you would think.

We put the mug, bottom down straight into the boxes, I know a few others put them on their side.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbleimages For This Useful Post:

Mrteajunkie (30-01-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have even tried using 6”x6”x6” boxes and wrapped the mugs in bubble wrap and void filled the rest of the box with bubble wrap to the point it’s just stupid and yet still broken.

As PaulH stated replacing mugs is not only expensive it’s just embarrassing.
    when I ship mugs I don’t describe them as mugs otherwise you can’t claim when they go missing or get smashed.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If bubble wrapping, use bubble wrap bags - BB3 size is a good fit for a 10/11 oz mug. BB4 if you want a bag around the box - self seal - all in much quicker than cutting/ripping from a roll of wrap, and looks neater too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pisquee View Post
    If bubble wrapping, use bubble wrap bags - BB3 size is a good fit for a 10/11 oz mug. BB4 if you want a bag around the box - self seal - all in much quicker than cutting/ripping from a roll of wrap, and looks neater too.
    I don’t bother bubble wrapping anymore as I only use smash proof boxes when I send more than two mugs which are then put into a larger box and void filled.

When I send single mugs I only use polystyrene mailers now due to the amount of breakages :(

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to hear how others are tackling this problem!
    For orders of 4 or more we use the cardboard mailers for each mug, then use 2 of those inner cardboard trays from the wholesale boxes as an outer surrounding layer of packaging (6 mug mailers fit nicely, for 4 we cut down to suit), followed by brown paper around the lot.

We tried the polystyrene ones early on for single mug deliveries, but like you we found it added too much to the cost and then there's the landfill issue.

For single mug orders or pairs of mugs we just put each mug in its own cardboard mailer (we always put mugs in the mailers base down as bubbleimages described) and then wrap them in brown paper.

We've only had 2 breakages in 4 years (sent out several thousand!) but when a single mug parcel went missing in our courier system recently we switched to posting single mug orders via Royal Mail.

We buy our mailers from Xpres - if you buy 4 x 25pks they work out at 30p each (there are more price breaks if you buy bigger quantities) and of course if you deploy the DSF discount that shaves a bit more off the price!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting post.
    For single or even 2 mugs I use the standard cardboard boxes they come in wrapped in 3 layers of bubble wrap, then put in a grey bag and add fragile stickers. I only post these via Royal Mail now as they cover breakages. Compared to you lot I doubt we do many but I hate mugs unless big orders. However December just gone we sent out about 50 mugs and only had 2 break, which were the only ones that year. Which Royal mail refunded fine and I resent so all good.

Anything more still goes in cardboard boxes just in another box to, just using a local delivery company and they have been fine so far.
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good tip......

To avoid breakages avoid HERMES like a rash. (I still use them though)
    sadly no one comes close to HERMES prices for small parcel under 1kg.
    our local courier is great he collects them when I text him and I still only book them as parcel shop drop off.

Everything I send is recorded delivery or tracked as there have been so many people claim not received and ask for a refund instead of replacement. (Seems a little suspicious to me) anyway I can’t afford the loss so HERMES or recorded is the only way for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteajunkie View Post
    A good tip......

To avoid breakages avoid HERMES like a rash. (I still use them though)
    Yes indeed. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!

I worked as a courier for them for 11 years and I wouldn't trust them with any of my deliveries. The couriers are ok (well, most of them), underpaid and victimised, as is the case with the new Gig Economy.

However the management and depots are an utter shambles. Here's a recent picture ...

To be honest, I've seen far, far worse. The night shift play football with parcels (no kidding!). Many are damaged, lost or stolen and good luck if you can get a refund, or even find anyone to contact.