Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 11:19 PM
  2. Can you help to choose right printer
    By alsusart in forum Printers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-02-2015, 06:40 PM
  3. Help to choose a mug press
    By tangocreations in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 12:23 PM
  4. Dont know which to choose!
    By joyid in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 01:42 AM
  5. How to choose/where to begin...
    By justme in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me choose a printer please!

Hi all, so, the choice of printers for sublimation printing is kinda overwhelming for someone just starting out!

I’ve been looking at the Epson L805 and wondering if I really need 6 colours or if 4 will be more than sufficient for my needs. I’m going to printing mugs and my designs are fairly simple but use large areas of block colour.

Can you recommend any other decent reliable starter Epson printers I should be looking at? Budget no more than £300 really.

Also, is borderless printing important??

Thanks for your help!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

have a look on here https://www.inkexperts.co.uk/product...tion-printers/
    they have starter packages for printer inks and paper.

to be honest I had a few different Epson printers all great but the refillable cartridges just kept failing.
    so just bought myself an eco tank model.

for simple designs you wouldn’t need a 6 colour system unless your printing artwork ;)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I've just added the L805 to my printers. It's basically the older P50 with ecotanks attached. The P50 was always a superb 6 colour printer so the 805 extends this.

To me at least 6 colour is essential (our main printer is 8) it depends what you're printing, many folk get by perfectly well on 4 colour. Block colours can be challenging to print at times.

Borderless is irrelevant for sublimation so don't worry about that.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

chongsta (12-02-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, definitely looking at the eco tank models. Justin - how are you finding the L805 then?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    It's a great quality printer, a little faster than our 1500 which is basically the A3 version. I'm struggling a little with pizza wheel marks right now but I do print onto film, paper should be fine.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask how much ink I should expect to get through printing mugs? I have no idea what to expect in terms of how often I will have to replace the inks!

Are the Sublinova inks good/safe for printing mugs? (you don't need a special 'food-grade' ink or anything?? Sorry, just totally new to dye sub! I'm a screen printer normally and use eco-friendly inks!)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The inks will last a lot longer than you expect! it's hard to say exactly how many mugs you'll get but from experience I'm always surprised how far these go when using bulk tanks rather than carts, you won't be disappointed there.

Yes the Sublinova are fine for use on mugs, no issues.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

chongsta (12-02-2020)

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraMargaret View Post
    Can I ask how much ink I should expect to get through printing mugs? I have no idea what to expect in terms of how often I will have to replace the inks!

Are the Sublinova inks good/safe for printing mugs? (you don't need a special 'food-grade' ink or anything?? Sorry, just totally new to dye sub! I'm a screen printer normally and use eco-friendly inks!)
    Hi, we have calculated that 700 full coverage A4 pages can be produced using a set of 100ml of each ink (some colours still had ink left, whilst a couple of the colours had depleted) turn that into mugs you'd get 3 mug designs per A4 sheets so 2100 in total.

Based on the L805 using 6 inks, the cost of a set of Sublinova 100ml x 6 is around £48.00 meaning a single mug size print equates to just under £0.03 in ink cost.

The Sublinova inks are safe for mug printing they are not food safe as such but the ink is sealed in the polymer coating on the mug so its not really relevant as the coating makes it safe. They are also Oek Tex certified which means they are safe for use with baby and children's clothing.

I hope this helps.

Alex
    Ink Experts ltd.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    | 01902 213533 |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    .uk

10% discount on Sublimation Supplies for Dye Sub Forum Premium Members

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraMargaret View Post

I am in the same boat as you with the difference that i already bought the printer and ink and all i can tell you so far is that setup of the ecotank was really easy. Its easy to fill in the ink into the tanks with syringes. I filled in 30ml from every color because i wont use all the ink in 18 months since it has a shelf life of about 18 months. So it is possible to fill in only 30ml in the beginning when you setup the printer for the first time.

After you filled in the ink it wants you to select a special program in the menu to pump the ink to the print heads, it goes automatically and the printer need 10 minutes for that. Since that day i printed a nozzle check everyday to be on the safe side. The only thing i didnt made was a firmware update because i wasnt sure if i could do that but i guess its no problem. So the FW update message is popping up everytime i switch it on and the message that i selected the wrong paper type, i have to look into it how i can disable that paper message. Others than that its nice so far.

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daninho View Post
    I am in the same boat as you with the difference that i already bought the printer and ink and all i can tell you so far is that setup of the ecotank was really easy. Its easy to fill in the ink into the tanks with syringes. I filled in 30ml from every color because i wont use all the ink in 18 months since it has a shelf life of about 18 months. So it is possible to fill in only 30ml in the beginning when you setup the printer for the first time.

After you filled in the ink it wants you to select a special program in the menu to pump the ink to the print heads, it goes automatically and the printer need 10 minutes for that. Since that day i printed a nozzle check everyday to be on the safe side. The only thing i didnt made was a firmware update because i wasn't sure if i could do that but i guess its no problem. So the FW update message is popping up every time i switch it on and the message that i selected the wrong paper type, i have to look into it how i can disable that paper message. Others than that its nice so far.
    Firmware updates are ok to use on Ecotank models, they are typically used to stop 3rd party ink cartridges being used in printers. As ecotank printer use no ink cartridges, they have no ill effects on the printer :)

The paper type message can often be solved if the printer allows you to set the Paper Setup directly from the printer (via the screen) match the paper type and size to what you are using / using in the printer preferences and this will resolve the pop up message.

I hope this helps! Alex
    Ink Experts ltd.
    | 01902 213533 |
    .uk

10% discount on Sublimation Supplies for Dye Sub Forum Premium Members

13. The Following User Says Thank You to InkExperts For This Useful Post:

logodigitizing (13-02-2020)