Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Black print coming out brown on mugs
    By jojohales in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-11-2016, 08:35 PM
  2. Sawgrass print problem.
    By msub in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-07-2016, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-09-2014, 09:18 PM
  4. Mug print problem
    By nigelt in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 12:12 AM
  5. Big problem when i print in Greyscale
    By olleolle in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

problem with mug print coming off in places

Hi all,
    I bought a mug press and mugs and started doing a few mugs for friends and family and word of mouth sales. But the print on the mugs are coming off in places as shown in the photos.
    I know this could be a whole host of causes especially as I've bought the cheapest of anything to begin with. I'll start with the press, its a pixmax one which came with a lot of mugs. I noticed this problem and so tried another lot of mugs this time from ebay this time from signzworld the 11oz orca double coated ones. I have the same problem with these.
    I'm guessing the problem lies with the printer or the ink. I'm using an epsom wf-2750 with srace paper. The inks I'm using are bought off ebay and are probably cheap chinese rubbish. I've attached a photo of the inks.
    The mugs look great when first printed but after a few washes the print comes off in random places. I'm thinking off just starting afresh with a new printer and new inks but would like to keep the costs down while I'm just starting off so I would welcome any help from you experienced guys with 1, your thoughts on the causes of the problems and 2, recommendations for a new printer and inks that are tried an tested.
    Also any thoughts on the mugs I'm using would be welcomed. sorry for the photos being sideways I couldn't see how to rotate them. Thanks in advance
    inks.jpgIMG_6220[1].jpgIMG_7087[1].jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There's absolutely no way sublimation ink should produce results like that. I'd certainly ditch the inks you are using, flush out yor printer and use inks from a reputable supplier such as @InkExperts, who advertise in this forum.

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'd be inclined to point the finger at the mug to start with. The photo looks like the coating has chipped away taking the ink with it. Poor quality coating by the looks of it. Although you say you had Signzworld mugs, I have never had an issue with their mugs, they aren't the best out there but they are certainly not rubbish so its an odd one.

Like you said, your issues are complex because you've purchased lots of cheap products from different sellers so its hard to track down the route of the problem.

If the print is good to begin with then the ink / paper / printer etc are arguably ok. The issue occurs after washing, so I would naturally look to the coating of the mug being the issue as a starting point.

Weird one though, never seen that before. Perhaps a faulty batch of coating on a batch of mugs?

Alex
    Ink Experts ltd.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    | 01902 213533 |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    .uk

10% discount on Sublimation Supplies for Dye Sub Forum Premium Members

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am guessing they are hand wash and not dishwasher? That is a mug coating issue. Seen it before and generally happens due to the coating being a bit soft when heated during washing and another hard item scrapes against it. Try out some mug options as a starting point. Wouldn't just scrap everything. If they are actually AA Orca that shouldn't happen so I would have my doubts on actual coating standard ( I have previously queried whether it is an actual Orca coating and had my doubts).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply. I know it looks like the mug is chipped but it isn't. It's the ink that has come away. Its happened on the mugs I got with the press from pixmax as well so I'm thinking two lots of different mugs with the same problem would point to the problem being somewhere else. I think I'll just buy a new printer and inks from ink experts and see how that comes out. Any suggestion on printer and inks? thank you

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gavham View Post
    thanks for the reply. I know it looks like the mug is chipped but it isn't. It's the ink that has come away. Its happened on the mugs I got with the press from pixmax as well so I'm thinking two lots of different mugs with the same problem would point to the problem being somewhere else. I think I'll just buy a new printer and inks from ink experts and see how that comes out. Any suggestion on printer and inks? thank you
    Ahh very strange, it does look like a chip or scrape in the photo. Perhaps the ink is poor quality and isn't bonding with the polymer coating on the mugs? If you are in the market for a new printer we have a number of sublimation converted packages on our website. The WF2630 is very similar to the WF2750 you currently use. We are starting to push more Ecotank printers as they are easier to use / convert to sublimation, so if budget allows consider the ET2711 or ET2650 as well. All work well producing excellent quality results and offer excellent value for money.

Alex
    Ink Experts ltd.
    | 01902 213533 |
    .uk

10% discount on Sublimation Supplies for Dye Sub Forum Premium Members

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than likely still scrapes with mug against mug type of scenario but done at source. During coating they were probably moved to early and not having hardened sufficiently. Not a common thing these days. Would imagine/hope SW just had bad luck with a few boxes. Contact them to let them know as it will always help a supplier if there are possible issue's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you got the listing where you bought the ink?
    this to me looks like you have standard ink not dye sub ink.
    if you get a knife and scrape it does the ink come away?

That would indicate the ink is just sat on the surface rather than gassed into the coating which dye sub ink does.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteajunkie View Post
    Have you got the listing where you bought the ink?
    this to me looks like you have standard ink not dye sub ink.
    if you get a knife and scrape it does the ink come away?

That would indicate the ink is just sat on the surface rather than gassed into the coating which dye sub ink does.
    Standard ink would not transfer at all. You can use standard paper which will result in a rubbish print but not standard ink which results in zero transfer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Andrew and mrteajunkie for the replies. the link for the ink bought on ebay is here..
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sublimati...72.m2749.l2649
    it says sublimation ink but maybe it's a poor quality ink. I think it must be an ink or printer problem as it has happened with 2 different types of mug, the signzworld ones and the pixmax ones. I think I'm going to buy a new printer and inks from ink experts and as they will be known good quality then I can eliminate those as the problem then. If it still happens then it must be down to the mugs I guess. Which mugs do you guys use or recommend? Thanks