Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express, Signzworld and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

  1. Affinity Photo - Any opinions/users?
    By Justin in forum Software
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-05-2019, 11:36 AM
  2. Mug designer / product designer for customers
    By jimmy oldskool in forum Websites/OSCommerce/OpenCart etc.
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-02-2018, 10:37 PM
  3. Affinity photo
    By Mugshots in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-04-2017, 03:53 PM
  4. Opencart Custom Product Designer VS Fancy Product Designer plugins
    By Ravisteam in forum Websites/OSCommerce/OpenCart etc.
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,712
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Affinity Designer... Good!

    Having just gone to windows 10 my Coreldraw X6 works (ish) so I looked at Affinity a few weeks back, looked alright.

    Well its £25 at the moment which appeared to be an absolute bargain, and it is. I am very impressed with it. It's rather PS in it's layout and so far I have found transferring from Coreldraw very easy.

    There is 3 months free trial available at the moment, so might be worth having a play for nothing.

    Cheers all.

    Janners

  2. #2
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    dorchester
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am finding it a pain at the moment, mainly because it isn't yet a direct replacement for Drawplus.
    Although Affinity has the potential to be far better than DP, it lacks a lot of the user friendly aspects. That is sort of understandable - DP was developed over a 25 year period.

  3. #3
    Administrator Mini KickUps Champion Justin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Shetland
    Posts
    9,209
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    1
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I posted about this recently, it's a cracking bit of software for the price. Problem is people expect it to replace Photoshop and as I've found it doesn't. The only feature it lacked was smart object editing but they have rectified this in the latest version somewhat.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,712
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pw66 View Post
    I am finding it a pain at the moment, mainly because it isn't yet a direct replacement for Drawplus.
    Although Affinity has the potential to be far better than DP, it lacks a lot of the user friendly aspects. That is sort of understandable - DP was developed over a 25 year period.
    Not used Drawplus. I wonder of I'm finding the switch quite easy as I also use PS and Affinity Designer sort of sits between Coreldraw and PS in it's layout and the way it works...hmmm.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,712
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I posted about this recently, it's a cracking bit of software for the price. Problem is people expect it to replace Photoshop and as I've found it doesn't. The only feature it lacked was smart object editing but they have rectified this in the latest version somewhat.
    I haven't tried Affinity Photo yet. I'll get to grips fully with Affinity Designer first. I'm a simple lad.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to JMugs For This Useful Post:

    Justin (1 Week Ago)

  7. #6
    Administrator Mini KickUps Champion Justin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Shetland
    Posts
    9,209
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    1
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Apologies, I read this as Photo not Draw!
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,712
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Apologies, I read this as Photo not Draw!
    Snigger...too much sunshine.
    Down here in Devon we haven't seen a cloud for 3 days!

  9. #8
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    dorchester
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMugs View Post
    Not used Drawplus. I wonder of I'm finding the switch quite easy as I also use PS and Affinity Designer sort of sits between Coreldraw and PS in it's layout and the way it works...hmmm.
    Possibly.
    I think Affinity is probably better than DrawPlus, but there are some elements missing.

    DP has all of the photo adjustment tools under one 'studio' that allows good workflow. Affinity has the same tools but they need to be accessed individually and separately through the drop down menu.
    Same with the 'cut out studio' and 'auto trace' features.
    No undo/redo arrows on the tool bar is a major pain, as is the lack of a permanently visable zoom control.

    Not having micro-adjustment arrows on most slider controls - rgb values, size/position adjustments etc - is annoying and time consuming.

    One thing that Affinity does have over DP is full control over icc profiles when printing.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,712
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pw66 View Post
    Possibly.
    I think Affinity is probably better than DrawPlus, but there are some elements missing.

    DP has all of the photo adjustment tools under one 'studio' that allows good workflow. Affinity has the same tools but they need to be accessed individually and separately through the drop down menu.
    Same with the 'cut out studio' and 'auto trace' features.
    No undo/redo arrows on the tool bar is a major pain, as is the lack of a permanently visable zoom control.

    Not having micro-adjustment arrows on most slider controls - rgb values, size/position adjustments etc - is annoying and time consuming.

    One thing that Affinity does have over DP is full control over icc profiles when printing.
    Ahh I see. Undo and redo I automatically used CNTRL Z and Y

    Micro adjustments do you mean Individual RGB values eg R=55 G=27 B=34 etc if so They are there and the individual sliders, although I may have misunderstood (Also available in all other color formats)

    Micro adjustments for size and position eg X and Y cordinates, complete with Width and height, rotation and sheer are all displayed by default in the bottom left hand corner titled "Transform".

    Control "J" for duplicate threw me! I assume it was a spelling problem "Juplicate"....

    I am using verison 1.8.623 so these could well have been recent additions.

    I really must learn about brushes. It is something I have never got involved with as I don't think I have ever needed. However I suspect it could be one of those things that once I use, I'll wonder how I ever managed without. I'll put that as a rainy day job!

    Cheers Janners

  11. #10
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    dorchester
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the slidders, it is the micro adjustment arrows alongside the slidders that are missing. For me that is surprisingly annoying.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •