Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Memorial Plaque for outside use?
    By Warrior in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2017, 02:46 PM
  2. Cross plaque
    By twinsgran in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-03-2013, 07:57 AM
  3. Secure paper to Plaque
    By MattP in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 08:01 PM
  4. Plaque mounts
    By TonyM in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 09:52 PM
  5. Printed wall decals (wall coverings)
    By chongsta in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 12:38 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Wall plaque mockup ...

Bored again!

So i've made a 3D model of an acrylic wall/house number plaque, the A5-sized, 5mm thick type with the 4 stand-off's. I'm wanting to try a few designs on these before I order any. I've had one on my house for a couple of years now with my house number, street name and postcode on and it's holding up well. I use black sign vinyl for it.
    [User Deleted]

[User Deleted]

[User Deleted]

[User Deleted]

[User Deleted]

I modelled it in Rhino and rendered it in keyshot. In one example you can see I have attempted to add some frosted vinyl as a backing to see what that would look like too.

I find that mockups such as these save a lot of wastage and trial & error when it comes to making the real thing, as well as being fun to play around with and useful as online product mockups. Well worth the time making the model (less than an hour) and the render time (about 20 to 30 mins for a decent rendering).
    Last edited by webtrekker; 04-07-2021 at 04:23 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to webtrekker For This Useful Post:

Mrteajunkie (05-05-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good fella you have done a cracking job.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteajunkie For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (06-05-2020)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very impressive, well done.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbleimages For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (06-05-2020)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful work ...Look real ..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravisteam For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (12-05-2020)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    Bored again!

I find that mockups such as these save a lot of wastage and trial & error when it comes to making the real thing, as well as being fun to play around with and useful as online product mockups. Well worth the time making the model (less than an hour) and the render time (about 20 to 30 mins for a decent rendering).
    I love to learn how you did this ..Never tried 3D stuff ..do you any where to learn this skill ?. ..Really impressive ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravisteam For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (12-05-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @Ravisteam - Hi. Thanks for the kind comment. When it comes to 3D modelling, such as this, I'm entirely self-taught. A lot of it is trial and error, you just have to start with something basic and take it from there. In fact, this wall plaque, impressive as it may appear, is a simple rectangular shape with filleted corners. The 4 metal stand-off's are just various sized cylinders joined together and copied and pasted another 3 times. The brick wall is only a flat plane which will be rendered with a brick texture map (image) that I downloaded from Google Images. Really simple stuff, believe me!

I made the model in Rhino 5, but any 3D modellers would do the job. There are many excellent free modellers to download, including the powerful Autodesk Fusion, which is free for personal and limited commercial use.

Once you've designed and exported your model you then need to render it in rendering (raytracing) software to produce a final image. I use Keyshot 6 for this but, again, some decent free renderers exist which will produce the same end results. You can set up multiple scenarios in the rendering software, including lighting, environment, materials, texture maps etc which you can tweak to your heart's desire until you have something that looks good.

So, as the saying goes, 'Google is your friend' here, not forgetting youtube and other ways to learn, such as books and ebooks. It may seem confusing at the beginning but my advice is to stick with one modeller and one renderer and learn all the basic commands. You can see from these wall plaques how even the simplest of models can look great when rendered.

Hope that helps! Like all things in life you just have to devote some (a lot of!) time to it for best results.
    Last edited by webtrekker; 12-05-2020 at 10:58 AM.