Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Etsy Shop Suspended!
    By Justin in forum Websites/OSCommerce/OpenCart etc.
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 16-09-2021, 03:46 PM
  2. Etsy selling
    By paul 44 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 16-03-2018, 08:17 PM
  3. Etsy Store
    By Mikejohno1 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 21-08-2017, 09:25 PM
  4. Etsy Folksy NOTHS
    By GoonerGary in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-10-2014, 09:18 PM
  5. Etsy the new Ebay ?
    By GoldRapt in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Selling on Etsy, Algorithms, SEO etc.

Interested to talk to anyone else selling on Etsy. Most of our online business used to come via Etsy with a small percentage via NOTHS. This has recently shifted and now majority is coming through NOTHS with little through Etsy.

I appreciate there are many factors that can affect sales etc. We used to make product pages with tag words in the titles and were then told that Etsy had 'changed their algorithm' which apprantly they do every now and then? No longer did it search the title as much but product pages needed more info. in the description. I've heard conflicting views on this over the years and would like to know if anyone has experience of this?

At one stage we hired a couple of staff to work on our SEO as they 'seemed' to know what they were talking about. I just wonder if changing all of our titles has led to the lack of business.

Also told searches in UK & US work differently?
    Last edited by Justin; 16-05-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that Etsy moved to towards Google type SEO because they've linked up with them for ads. Before, Etsy sellers would repeat keywords many times in the title. Whereas Google frowns upon spammy titles.

I had a best seller and decided to update the image slightly to comply with policies, but as soon as I changed the image, the sales died. So wherever it was being promoted, the algorithm decided that this image is longer there and it lost its placing. I don't think changing things around is good. Search engines like history, to build up a pattern to see what is useful content and what is not click worthy.

At the end of the day, use titles which your customer is going to use to find you. Repeat those keywords in the description without going over board and build up reviews for that title. I don't think much has changed in the last 5 -15 years with SEO...I'm sure there are lots of marketing companies who will insist that only 'they' know the secret code. Reviews and social media links are the only noteworthy changes to SEO. The rest is was it always was. Oh and if they can make money from your title, you will reach the very top of SEO.
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 16-05-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Cheers for that. That's pretty much what we're doing. I follow a similar Etsy shop which seems to be doing well and noticed that they seem to have gone back to the repetative word in title format which we moved away from.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Member Mini KickUps Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When google crawls your site, it looks for a H1 heading to describe what you are selling, then under that it looks for sub headings under h2 h3 h4 tags

So you can start by structuring your headings so that they flow well for example:

H1 - Printed photos mugs upload your own design (this is the main heading and description of your product)
    H2 - How to Design your mug
    H3- Ordering from us
    H4 Our contact Details

The headings reduce in relevance and importance the higher the h number

Then the main body of your text would be filled with a useful description of your product, that relates to your title, not just printed mug repeated over and over 20 times.

Every image should have an alt tag so that google can read what the image is as it cant see them.

Google loves useful information and will try to tie your heading to your post so a few key words will help, but don't go too mad. Just use good descriptive content. Try to type at least 2 or 3 paragraphs if possible, as google doesn't like small word counts as it sees them as not very descriptive.

Also the loading time of your listing will factor in how high you rank, so try to use smaller image sizes where possible. jpeg in stead of png, there are online tools you can use to compress images without losing quality.

A few tips I have picked up along the way! Hope it helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to billy8581 For This Useful Post:

Justin (17-05-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I prefer png and don't mind big images. But the biggest upgrade to my own site to massively increase load times (which help with rankings), was updating the PHP in cpanel to the latest version. I hadn't changed mine for about 6 years! It's lightning quick now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoonerGary For This Useful Post:

Justin (17-05-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    ... Also the loading time of your listing will factor in how high you rank, so try to use smaller image sizes where possible. jpeg in stead of png, there are online tools you can use to compress images without losing quality.
    A good way to check page loading times is to use the browser Developer options (I use Firefox, press F12 on your page to display the Developer panel).

Click on the 'Network' tab in the Developer and you can see the loading times of all items on the page and it's dead easy to spot any bottlenecks.

dev_ops.jpg

Member Mini KickUps Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Managed to get our website down to 702ms load time which is a B rating for speed, don't have time to investigate further at the moment.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Print On Demand model has messed with things a bit. It has diluted the choice of products as someone from India can now sell into the UK using a UK-based PoD but being happy with a quid or two profit per sale, whereas British sellers want £5, £8, £10.
    Also, some people are importing cheap Chinese imported mugs and tees and are passing them off as UK-printed. they are selling them cheaply.

I'd prefer a more nationalistic approach, but the PoD companies are going to take the business where they find it, and until we have a government which isn't owned by China, we're going to keep getting the cheap Chinese printed stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubOnCotton View Post
    The Print On Demand model has messed with things a bit. It has diluted the choice of products as someone from India can now sell into the UK using a UK-based PoD but being happy with a quid or two profit per sale, whereas British sellers want £5, £8, £10.
    Also, some people are importing cheap Chinese imported mugs and tees and are passing them off as UK-printed. they are selling them cheaply.

I'd prefer a more nationalistic approach, but the PoD companies are going to take the business where they find it, and until we have a government which isn't owned by China, we're going to keep getting the cheap Chinese printed stuff.
    This is why I now stick only to items I manufacture myself, so they are unique to me and command higher profits. I don't need loads of sales to make the same money.

Anyone and their long-lost Chinese Granny can now print mugs and t-shirts, so it's not surprising the bottom is dropping out of the market for people doing this as a genuine business. You have people selling mountains of stuff and aren't even registered with HMRC, probably also claiming all the benefits they can whilst doing so.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    This is why I now stick only to items I manufacture myself
    I'm doing the same.
    People *will* pay for what they perceive as uniqueness and especially, quality.
    The Americans are especially good at buying British handmade goods, and they are my main market.