Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Forum Update, upgrades, new sections etc.
    By Justin in forum Forum Information/Updates etc.
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2020, 10:40 PM
  2. Wasatch RIP
    By Alistscott in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-03-2019, 07:01 PM
  3. Wasatch RIP - Anyone Using?
    By Justin in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-09-2017, 07:30 PM
  4. Wasatch RIP - Importing Custom profiles HPZ 2100
    By Justin in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-02-2017, 09:05 PM
  5. Grainy Background On Epson SC F6000 Using Wasatch Rip
    By Alistscott in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Wasatch RIP - Upgrades etc.

I'm using the Wasatch SoftRIP with my VJ628 printer. I bought the software a few years back with the printer, cost around £1000 just for the RIP but well worth it.

I then got a new profile to test and had to upgrade from version 7.3 to 7.6 to enable me to do this. Wasatch wanted about £800 at the time for the upgrade which seemed ridiculous. Eventually Sawgrass helped me and arranged for the upgrade to be given FOC.

Now, I want to move the software, version 7.6 to another drive within my PC or better still to a different PC. Wasatch no longer had downloads available for older versions as they're on v8 but luckily i found I still had the install files. I started installing on my machine, put in required dongle etc. then you have to register with Wasatch but, v7.6 no longer supported.

Longer story short, they are now asking for £50 a month or £600 for a new licence that I don't need!! So if my PC crashes and I have to re-install I can't without paying out all over again. i've cloned my drive so I do have a backup but can't move the install.

My point is that I purchased a perfectly good copy v7.3, the only difference to v7.6 is I can use the newer profile! I don't need v8 for any other reason. I do feel held to ransom over this and don't think this is right at all.

Comparison, I own CorelDraw v4 which still works fine and I can use my serial number whenever I re-install. I didn't have to upgrade to v8 but did and can now run both, my choice and there is a big difference in features.

Sawgrass have just emailed saying Wasatch don't support and I have to upgrade. I've stuck with Sawgrass on this printer as it's very good, I pay Sawgrass prices for the inks. I'm just about to replace all the inks at a cost of £400 (which is actually decent enough value) but if I have to find another £600 for software I amy as well go back to looking at alternatives!
    Last edited by Justin; 27-05-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Anyone following this.....I've worked out how to transfer everything across. No response from Sawgrass or Wasatch yet. Least they could do is email and tell me the transfer is possible but we'll wait and see how helpful they are.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Further update for anyone following. Still no update from Sawgrass on this.

Since moving my VJ628 printer I have nozzles blocked. Never had this before on this printer, always been superb. I followed the longstore process which flushes inks out and uses cleaning carts. Bought all new carts which are around £500 and also had to buy cleaning carts,. £21.50+vat each. Gone through initial charging and 2 channels have nozzles blocked. All cleaning processes done, head soaked several times and still nozzle check is there. Xpres support great as always but have to now deal with SG again.

SG sent me a copy and paste email from their support page telling me to clean the heads! I was told SG would compensate for ink lossed during this procedure but only if printer is under warranty.....and SG don't do extended warranties! If I carry out another initial charge I will have lost over 50% of the ink :-(

Awaiting another response from SG but thought it was important to members that I document this support.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    This is disgusting customer service in my opinion.
    I remember I emailed SG once but never had a reply.
    When I decided to give them a call, it was different story there. Lovely lady on other side. not much knowledgable but send me brand new cartridges.
    Since then, I changed my printer and never, ever looked in to sawgrass again.
    I am buying 24" epson sure-colour soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    It is indeed Paul. At a time when folk don't have to keep supporting SG as there are viable alternatives you'd think they'd try a bit harder....or maybe try a little at least.

Just reading comments on Facebook, SG getting a hard time over Creative software.

interested to hear how you get on with then SureColour.
    Last edited by Justin; 31-07-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I have come across this post. Been considering the Vj, with flourescent inks for sportswear, but a bit worried now.
    Not much else at this size available. The Epson is only four colours, and I resent the price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    ...and the saga continues. SG have told me I need to put into Longstore again and also do another Initial Charge. This will now have depleted over 50% of the inks! I also have to buy 8 new cleaning carts at £21.50+vat each for a one time use. They have stated that this may still not cure the problem and are quite happy to quote for a replacement head which is looking more and more likely.

I stress that I followed the Longstore procedure they outline to the letter and also the Initial Charge so the head has blocked whilst in Longstore by the looks of it.

They have offered 3 inks carts as compensation. Ink cost me best part of £500. Cleaning carts another £200 and it's likely this won't fix the issue. by the time you factor in a new head I'm sure it won't be econimically viable so I will start to look at alternatives. I have stayed loyal to SG with this VJ printer and still recommend to members of the forum but in view of my recent support experience and other feedback from elsewhere I think maybe the time has come to stop this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Right,
    so there is nothing to loose now.
    have you tried to hand clean your head with lint free blue towel and cleaning solution?
    no?
    soak blue paper towel in solution and give it a gentle rub for few minutes?
    than unplug your printer and pour some solution on capping station.
    Once full of solution, park your head on it for an hour. After one hour put the cable back in and turn it on.
    this redirected my ROLAND printer just before Enginer was about to come in and fit new head.
    btw, how bad is your nozzle test?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul, noxxle check isn't too bad, very slight block in black and slightly more in magenta. I've tried all cleaning procedures including parking the head for extended times with hot water and cleaning fluid as recommended, nothing is clearing it. I've done what you advise with my 1500 before and it worked a treat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I had to chase SG yet again. Finally got a quote for a new print head to be fitted, over £3000!!!! yes, this is more than a new printer pretty much! lol.

I've just secured another VJ628 in pwo for £1000. As I mentioned this printer has always been superb right up until the Longstore/Initial Charge process and this is obviosuly what has caused the issue. It would have been better off left with the carts in place.

I will of course be pursuing this with SG to a satisfactory conclusion but in the meantime, I've sourced refill carts for the printer and will be testing it with non SG inks. I'll report back on how quickly and well SG deal with the situation......don't expect a quick solution lol!

Paul, I'll be a little more 'aggressive' with my cleaning now as it can't do any further damage but it'll be interesting to see how the printer works with 'other' inks.