Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Magic Mugs / Heat Sensitive Mugs
    By yellowplanet in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-01-2018, 01:15 PM
  2. i need mugs.....lots of mugs...at least a quote for lots of mugs !!
    By giftsne in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-01-2016, 06:35 PM
  3. latte mugs & bone china mugs
    By hakuna in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Thread: Blury mugs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blury mugs

Hey, I'm having problem with mugs for a long time. Have a lot of wasted mug because don't know actually what makes my printings blurred, and sometimes not crisp. Problem is that is quite random, some mugs are fine, and few is more or less blurred. So mostly from 1 to 5 mugs are not right.

I'm cooking in standard kitchen oven in my workhouse, fit 12 mugs (11oz) and my temperature is 180c (with fan) for around 16 minutes.
    I've use silicone wraps, and the only one moment when actually all mugs are crisp is when I change silicone for a new ones, till few days after.
    In terms of taping, I've been taping as my coworker before me have been doing it. He was taping from two sides, before wraping around he pulled off one tape and then closing it. So only one tape on center was holding paper. I heard that reason behind that was that tape was slightly going under paper and makes print blurry. Well, I've been doing same as he does and as I described above, looks variously. After some research I found that everyone recommend to leave both tapes, and tried that - results are simillar, a little bit better, but again - at least one is messy. And peeling paper from mug takes more time. Paper shifts and make printing blurry. Want to notice that paper is taped tight. I don't dip them in water, and don't seeing much difference between peeling right after they are 'cooked', and peeling paper after they are cooled down. Results if mug is blurred are visible actually right after peeling on hot, so dipping in water shouldn't help.
    Not sure what to blame, is the paper what we order is wrong? I guess no, because I've made thousands of mugs on it and they were fine.

How am tape:
    IMG_20200526_134233.jpg

That's my sillicone wrap:
    IMG_20200526_135211.jpg

That's failed mug after taken out from oven. Second image shows that it shifts position, tape going under paper (when i stretched by thumb an paper) in related to pic number one.
    IMG_20200526_142601.jpgIMG_20200526_142613.jpgIMG_20200526_142643.jpg

Does any of u has that kind of problem? Would appreciate an answers, regards!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive heard someone say once that they put the tape on in the other direction - along the line of the paper, if you see what I mean. I am not sure if they do it to stop the paper moving, but maybe worth a try. (so instead of horizontal like you do now - stick the tape on vertically along the edge of the paper wrap)
    Last edited by SweetPea; 27-05-2020 at 01:14 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPea For This Useful Post:

confileus (02-06-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put tape top to bottom on each side paper tight and taped. this way it can’t move.
    I would imagine your wraps aren’t tight enough.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteajunkie For This Useful Post:

confileus (02-06-2020)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's the movement because that probably happens when you put the wrap on so before it goes in the oven. Once it's in the oven it probably stays where it is.

Your comment "I've use silicone wraps, and the only one moment when actually all mugs are crisp is when I change silicone for a new ones, till few days after." suggests that even after one use the wrap is getting ink on and causing the blurring on subsequent presses. I use 2 sheets of plain white paper between my printed sheet and silicone to soak up the stray ink from getting on the silicone every time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smiley_mug For This Useful Post:

confileus (02-06-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I've use silicone wraps, and the only one moment when actually all mugs are crisp is when I change silicone for a new ones, till few days after."

Could your silicone wraps either be stretching or slipping slightly out of the metal clamping device and becoming looser?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BadZebedee For This Useful Post:

confileus (02-06-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for answers, but I found the solution.
    It's might be specific for my type of wrap that I didn't saw anywhere else but the way that I wrap them was the problem.
    After closing them I need to pull up this part of metal from both sides for a second, one side of wrap rise up and when i release everything goes back as it was. And that's all. Not sure why it does work but now every mug is crisp!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic that you found the solution! You will sleep well tonight!!