Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Mug problems (black faded/burnt?)
    By lauradt in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2018, 12:53 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-01-2016, 03:19 PM
  3. football shirt settings
    By MUZZ in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-06-2014, 10:56 AM
  4. T-shirt and polo shirt templates ........free
    By Lornem in forum Graphics & Artwork
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 09:54 PM
  5. what settings for a DF-180
    By Philspectrum in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-03-2010, 10:06 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burnt t-shirt settings?

I have Microtec Heat Press Swing Away - came with no manual, so been looking everything up online and managed to get going and work out how to do the settings.
    Using 85% polyester and 15% cotton t-shirts.
    Inktec Sublinova Smart Dye in printer.
    Inkexperts subli paper.

Tried recommendation of 180c and 90 seconds (t-shirt suppliers suggestion) nothing, no ink transfer - tried it twice, not so much as a smudge.

Looked around online and ended up trying 225c for 50 seconds. Well it worked...lol apart from where the subli paper was, was white, it went a pale brown everywhere else the heat press had touched and even gave the outline of the heat tape!
    Clearly burnt it.

Had another look online for answers and again tried 180c for 90 seconds - worked but... stupid me didn't use protective paper the first time so it got a smudge of ink where it shouldn't be from the heat press.
    (I will know next time now...) I right away pressed a bit of scrap material under it, twice that's hopefully got it off.

Now, I had read about cutting a slither off all the way around your design to ensure no ink was on the edge of the paper which I did but...it's not ink, but I can deff see a line all the way around where my design/subli paper was on the t-shirt while being pressed. I can basically see the subli paper outline by two different whites

The questions I have are:
    Does anyone think the heat press didn't heat up on first try maybe because it was new and first time turned on, as the same setting worked 15 mins later? Or????
    Why have I got a faint colour difference between the paper covered design area and the rest which almost look like an outline of the paper? Was it a slight scorch, should I try taking the t-shirt out after 80 seconds not 90 or could I have done something else wrong?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like you initially pressed without letting the temp get up.

225c is far too hot for anything containing cotton, hence the scortching.
    Try 180C or 360F for bang on 60 seconds, much more than that will not get any extra transfer to the polyester. (You may still find that is still 5C too hot or a few seconds too long and still get scortching but with a little luck and washing on a 60c heat it might be salvageable)

You could always try 100% poly too, xpres do removable label ones that have a bit of weightto them and dont look seethrough like most sub tops.

I dont tape on to fabrics, if you are using parchment simply put some pressure on the overhanging parchment when releasing the press gently, you wont get any lift or movement causing a shadow..

Depending on if you are doing full paper prints or have some room, try feathering the paper, rip it so the high release layer peels back, it could help with reducing the impression, if that still doesnt work, take the pressure down a bit.

I use always pre press the top to remove moisture (avoid bleed or blow through from steam) and use a fresh bit of cheap baking parchment, under and on the top of the fabric for every press, if your model has a slide tray youll fit the tshirt over it and only have a single layer exposed to heat, if not then you need to protect the other side of the shirt from blow through by putting parchment inside too. You can shred the waste paper to use for protective packing for mugs or something.

As for why the press didnt heat up.. my initial reaction would be 'user error' if youve got it working now, don't sweat it but maybe check some youtube videos about your specific model number, there are some great resources.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jonpersonalprints For This Useful Post:

Tiamegz (16-07-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I press at 205c for 40 seconds.

The off white outline is probably because you are printing from photo software, or a Jpeg or similar. Your printer is trying to print the white background, which prints as an off white/cream colour. You need to print in some format with a transparent background.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am .png so can't be that but thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What t-shirts are you using?
    What pressing paper are you using - sometimes that can bleed some colour into the shirt at high temperatures, depending on the paper.
    Has the press been used for any dark coloured polyester garments? The residue ink can stain the heat platen and this can transfer to the shirt. (same happens with hi vis fabric) Use a pressing paper that completely covers the platen.

Cotton will scorch at 225c, but should be ok at 180c (although 90 secs is a long time).