Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. For Sale Established business seeks new owner
    By Postcard in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-06-2019, 06:38 PM
  2. Car pics etc
    By Ewan in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-02-2014, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-05-2013, 11:50 AM
  4. legal pics
    By bigj2552 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM
  5. customers uploading pics
    By bigj2552 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MDP mug press. Read here owner review and pics.

So seeing as so many questions are asked about this press I think it’s best I put as many answers here as possible.

How much is the press:
    At the time it cost me £125 plus vat from mdp supplies.
    thanks to olly @ukprintedmugs I have discovered signzworld sell the same press for £89 sometimes reduced to £85 on their eBay store.
    It’s exactly the same press!
    https://signzworld.co.uk/shop/mug-he...tion-printing/

Does it work:
    Yes very well if used right.

What times and temps should I use:

For mugs: I have it set to 185 *c and 185 sec
    For travel mugs and water bottles: 185*c and 45 sec

When it reaches temp I put in mug and close.
    Remove mug from press after the 180 sec and remove print straight away.
    (If making another mug just add mug to press now and close)

Update:
    I now dunk my mugs into warm (from the hot tap) water leaving the print on the mug and shaking until the paper falls away. Using cool or cold water may give issues with cracking of the mug or coating.
    (as i had an issue with blurring on images)

Can it do a full mug print:
    Yes technically I do full mug prints allowing a gap for the handle Of course. (See image)

Will it cater for other items e.g. water bottles etc:
    Yes But as all presses you will need a different element for each different size item.

How much pressure should I use:
    Personally I use quite a bit of pressure to ensure a nice snug fit around the mug and paper.
    When the handle reaches the half way point it’s starting to get a little tension so when fully closed it’s clamped in. This is down to personal preference though.

What paper and inks do you use:
    I use truepix paper and sublinova inks in an epson et2711.
    UPDATE: I have now switched to ink experts mug paper (can't remember which one though style lite I think)

What mugs do you use:
    I only use Durham 10oz mugs from mdp. I have been through lots of different types of mugs from lots of different sources but the mdp mugs are consistent and good quality.
    Not to mention dishwasher safe even on high heat.

Do you pre heat your mugs:
    I have started to warm my mugs in hot water and drying before applying the print and pressing.
    I had been making some designs where the image ends around 3mm from the base and found some fading around the base.
    using hot water got the base of the mug up to around 50oc and worked very well. Although all my other designs do not require warming of the mug.

Have you had problems with this press:
    I have had little to no issues with this press apart from a few heating elements that went pop or bubbled as they were heating.
    Mdp were or are fantastic with warranty and are more than happy to resolve issues with customers.

Spares:
    Elements are very cheap at only £18 +vat from mdp and I always keep two spares as I make a lot of mugs and you can never be to careful.

Taping the design:

I see so many people absolutely plastering their mugs and tumblers with kapton tape (heat tape) that it makes me think there goes your profit.
    I add a small strip to each side of the mug and the pressure of the press itself holds the design in place so there is really no need for all that tape people.

IMG_3461_Original.jpg

I will update this post as and if needed.
    I keep meaning to make a video of setup and use but just haven’t had a chance yet. I will get to it I promise.

44935FED-A731-41C7-8166-55B81A368EE3.jpg A3831839-A0FC-4252-842D-98C027B77108.jpg A88FA9E3-DA6C-447A-8722-AB85C3726EE0.jpg

If this post has helped please feel free to click the thanks button or post your question and I will do my best to answer them.
    Last edited by Mrteajunkie; 2 Days Ago at 12:03 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mrteajunkie For This Useful Post:

AGS (30-06-2023), Belmontie (23-06-2021), Benjamin (18-05-2023), CraftSewGeek (25-09-2021), Fletcher (26-08-2020), kit2020 (05-09-2020), logodigitizing (22-01-2022), nffcbaz (21-11-2023), Paul (24-08-2020), pcwizme (22-05-2023), Pembroke (26-11-2022), Tony4415 (01-06-2021), tonycarr (18-11-2021), UK Printed Mugs (26-08-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little update on this press.

Last week I had a blanket bubble at the edge which travelled all the way into the centre of the element. It didn’t affect the pressing but I changed it anyway to ensure a good result of my mugs.

Today a second blanket went the same way.
    Now I’m thinking is there a way to remove the Teflon and re seat it back into the element?

Luckily I have two more spare blankets as I keep a few in stock.
    The first blanket has pressed around 250 mugs so it’s had a good run but the second has only done around 120-150 so not so good but they are cheap enough to replace.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteajunkie For This Useful Post:

Deeree (30-12-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small update ;)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteajunkie For This Useful Post:

Jabman (13-05-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably far too cautious as to when is the right time to put the second mug in, and in the process i'm probably doing damage to the element. First mug goes in when at room temp. Switch the press on and set it to 175 degrees for 180 secs. Mug heats up in the press. When mug is done, i turn the machine off and remove the mug. I wait maybe 5 mins or more to allow the blanket to cool to around 80 degrees or so. Then i put second mug in and switch the machine back on. Rinse and repeat!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blimey that is not right. We now have four of these presses (note that it is exactly the same mug press that signzworld sell for around £85+vat so after spending £149+vat with mdp we jumped ship quick) and as Paul said you put in another mug virtually straight away. There does need to be a few seconds delay otherwise we find timer does not countdown but flashes instead but already done 200 mugs this way. Would lose all profit if we turned each one off for 5 minutes per mug. For the life of me cannot get enamel mugs right so back to adkins press for these.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Printed Mugs View Post
    Blimey that is not right. We now have four of these presses (note that it is exactly the same mug press that signzworld sell for around £85+vat so after spending £149+vat with mdp we jumped ship quick) and as Paul said you put in another mug virtually straight away. There does need to be a few seconds delay otherwise we find timer does not countdown but flashes instead but already done 200 mugs this way. Would lose all profit if we turned each one off for 5 minutes per mug. For the life of me cannot get enamel mugs right so back to adkins press for these.
    The temp is regulated so the Matt will never go over the set heat of 185oC mug inside or not.

Olly where are the presses on signzworld I wouldn’t mind grabbing another one to replace my old U.K. press one for that price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Although out of stock they sell on ebay which shows plenty of stock of red version so maybe call Monday to get them to update web site as you get 10% discount
    https://signzworld.co.uk/shop/mug-he...tion-printing/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to UK Printed Mugs For This Useful Post:

Mrteajunkie (15-05-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to UK Printed Mugs For This Useful Post:

Mrteajunkie (15-05-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, thanks for this. I've just bought one. Sometimes it waits to get to temp before counting down and sometimes it doesn't! Is there a reason for this, do I need to be pressing something?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This annoys us as well. We have bought four of these in the past week and it seems that it needs to be at or above the set temperature before you can close and have the time count down. Unlike other presses which will count down when temp is reached this doesn't. Apart from that annoying issue the press is very good at a great price - if you buy via Signzworld for £70 less!!