Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. New startup hobby help.
    By Qwertyjon in forum Printers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-08-2019, 09:34 PM
  2. Graphic Software For Startup
    By Karl82 in forum Software
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 25-02-2016, 11:37 AM
  3. Sold Sublimation Startup Package
    By dj_doubler in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14-07-2011, 03:45 PM
  4. Startup
    By joconnell in forum Embroidery
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The world not making it easy for a startup

I listed a few personalised products on eBay, I thought something was strange as even though they were a good price, amazing images etc they weren't showing in the search listings when you search for the term.

After a few days I got an email saying the account had been put on hold until I speak to them, I go on their live chat and they ask a few questions "What am I going to sell, how many, how will I pay for fees".

They then asked "Do you have the products with you", I answered "Yes, I have the equipment and the mugs / tshirts ready to print" and they didn't like this and said "You need to have the products in your possession so we can't reverse the suspension"'

The chat was then ended and I got some pretty shitty replies saying they can't tell me what rule has been broken.

How the hell are you meant to startup? How can I have pre-made personalised items in my possession unless I spend days printing off combinations, I offered to send them pictures of all of the stock of blanks I have but they werent interested.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds odd!

I would open a new account and start small rather than trying to list 20 things list 4 or 5 and then slowly work up your listings.
    I have had an account since eBay first started and I’m on my 4th or 5th account after breaking some stupid rule somewhere about listing violations etc.

Try Etsy too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American firm, so lots of authoritarian rules - break more than six and they shoot you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It may be to do with the 'personalisation' part of it. Are you sticking to ebay's rules and only letting the customer pass on personalisation details through ebay messages, or have you listed your web address or some other means of obtaining these details?

Personally, I'd use ebay as a starting point while I developed my own website and put flyers advertising your site into every order you send out (telling customers the products with be cheaper as no ebay fees!). It's working for us, although it's not an instant solution.
    Last edited by webtrekker; 13-09-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    It may be to do with the 'personalisation' part of it. Are you sticking to ebay's rules and only letting the customer pass on personalisation details through ebay messages, or have you listed your web address or some other means of obtaining these details?

Personally, I'd use ebay as a starting point while I developed my own website and put flyers advertising your site into every order you send out (telling customers the products with be cheaper as no ebay fees!). It's working for us, although it's not an instant solution.
    The only personal details I could see was my address which they were displaying. Postal address rather than eBay.

The people I spoke to on chat were clearly making it up as they were going along to try and catch me out. They had no interest in me explaining that I will show them the stock I have ready to go.

Just "we can't tell you what you did wrong and you are banned, find somewhere else"

I'll try and call tomorrow but don't hold out any hope.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The only personal details I could see was my address which they were displaying. Postal address rather than eBay.
    No, I didn't mean your personal details. I'm talking about the method your buyers use to send their personalisation details to you for the personalised products they are buying from you.

Or, when you said 'personalised products' in your first post did you not mean products with printed, personalised, text and images?

I'm a bit confused now, maybe I picked you up wrong .............

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it be the product - wasn't a face mask by any chance was it? or something to do with wearing/not wearing masks - covid/virus etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John G View Post
    Could it be the product - wasn't a face mask by any chance was it? or something to do with wearing/not wearing masks - covid/virus etc.
    No it was basic personalised mugs.

Makes it much harder to get started.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Strange indeed, but ebay are a law unto themselves. Unfortunately, they monopolise the market and I can't see them being ousted any time in the near future. Sady, in most cases, it's a case of put up or shut up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One item I sell is about 40 posts in to the results with 20% promotion applied.
    My eBay bill is now £150+
    it’s almost always about £130 - £200 pm.
    Although Etsy is dead in the water now for some reason?

Ebay really don’t make any sense on their listing policies and results.
    I had mugs removed which I designed because someone copied my design and listing and then claimed it was theirs. :(