Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Oven Pads / Glove - Big Shake Up Coming
    By UK Printed Mugs in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-02-2018, 12:56 PM
  2. Black print coming out brown on mugs
    By jojohales in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-11-2016, 08:35 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-09-2014, 09:18 PM
  4. sublimation mugs not coming out as i thought
    By plugy in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM
  5. JML Halogen Oven for mugs
    By what a mug in forum Printers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    AAA Orca.

I don't like heat shrink.
    Where from? 😁

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you tried a higher temperature for shorter times? I find that if the coating is thinner, it starts blurring if the time is upped in the oven almost as if the ink can't go 'deeper' and moves sideways. Another possibility is moist paper but you probably know your environmental conditions best.
    I have had bad luck with s-race paper ever since I got it. For me there's always just enough ink left on the paper to be extremely sensitive when unwrapping it, leading to slight ghosting or blurry inconsistent prints all over my oven batch. But then again lots of people seem to use it without problems. I prefer high release papers where there's a minimum amount left to mess up my fine lines when I unwrap.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlef View Post
    have you tried a higher temperature for shorter times? I find that if the coating is thinner, it starts blurring if the time is upped in the oven almost as if the ink can't go 'deeper' and moves sideways. Another possibility is moist paper but you probably know your environmental conditions best.
    I have had bad luck with s-race paper ever since I got it. For me there's always just enough ink left on the paper to be extremely sensitive when unwrapping it, leading to slight ghosting or blurry inconsistent prints all over my oven batch. But then again lots of people seem to use it without problems. I prefer high release papers where there's a minimum amount left to mess up my fine lines when I unwrap.
    Thanks for your comment.

What led me to lower temp and shorter time was that I recalled @GoonerGary and others had noticed a vast improvement in quality when doing so, over shorter time higher temp, but I will definitely give it a go.

We spent yesterday doing a process of elimination. We ruled out the wraps being at fault, and ruled out the mugs themselves (even the ones that print correctly have the slight dip that @GoonerGary mentioned). We have 3 x BC01 ovens and one of the ovens seems to cause the issue more than the other two, even though the oven thermometers we use show that they are running at the same temperatures, so will definitely try playing around with the time/temp combinations.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazfocus View Post
    Thanks for your comment.

What led me to lower temp and shorter time was that I recalled @GoonerGary and others had noticed a vast improvement in quality when doing so, over shorter time higher temp, but I will definitely give it a go.

We spent yesterday doing a process of elimination. We ruled out the wraps being at fault, and ruled out the mugs themselves (even the ones that print correctly have the slight dip that @GoonerGary mentioned). We have 3 x BC01 ovens and one of the ovens seems to cause the issue more than the other two, even though the oven thermometers we use show that they are running at the same temperatures, so will definitely try playing around with the time/temp combinations.
    I found that the it really depends on the mug regarding the time. I have been in a loop with a batch of mugs a few months back and went nearly insane. The closest I got to a good result was also a lower temperature but the coating simply couldn't handle the longer times that were involved. The mugs were fine in a mug press, but not in an oven. Oven was either too hot or too long so neither worked. It took me way too long to test and come to the conclusion it was a bad mug. It took the supplier weeks to come to the same conclusion with their tech departement.
    There's just a lot of coating differences and thinner coatings can't be pressed too high or hot.

My mugs have been uneven a bunch of times, but I really don't see a difference with the tight wraps and the high release paper. They print just fine unless my wrap has a tiny hole for example (I use the thick red sicone wraps with a wrap machine). Good to note, I'm very picky when it comes to minuscule details and sharpness and consistency.

Last thing: Before I found out my mugs were at fault, I noticed a colour change from the front to the back of the oven. But the ones ruined the most were front and back centre (mug gigant oven, 12 at a time). When I switched to duraglaze that problem was gone.

Try the time, also try getting your hands on some different paper to rule that out too (or make sure they're moisture free). When I switched to s-race I ended up selling my client an additional 400 mugs as B-grade since they didn't live up to the quality I pressed with the previous batch of paper.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlef View Post
    I found that the it really depends on the mug regarding the time. I have been in a loop with a batch of mugs a few months back and went nearly insane. The closest I got to a good result was also a lower temperature but the coating simply couldn't handle the longer times that were involved. The mugs were fine in a mug press, but not in an oven. Oven was either too hot or too long so neither worked. It took me way too long to test and come to the conclusion it was a bad mug. It took the supplier weeks to come to the same conclusion with their tech departement.
    There's just a lot of coating differences and thinner coatings can't be pressed too high or hot.

My mugs have been uneven a bunch of times, but I really don't see a difference with the tight wraps and the high release paper. They print just fine unless my wrap has a tiny hole for example (I use the thick red sicone wraps with a wrap machine). Good to note, I'm very picky when it comes to minuscule details and sharpness and consistency.

Last thing: Before I found out my mugs were at fault, I noticed a colour change from the front to the back of the oven. But the ones ruined the most were front and back centre (mug gigant oven, 12 at a time). When I switched to duraglaze that problem was gone.

Try the time, also try getting your hands on some different paper to rule that out too (or make sure they're moisture free). When I switched to s-race I ended up selling my client an additional 400 mugs as B-grade since they didn't live up to the quality I pressed with the previous batch of paper.
    Thanks, I appreciate your input. Majority of our mugs are retail products so it’s even more important to get perfect results.

I will have a look at some other paper too, although I kind of feel like if the paper is the issue, it would affect all the mugs but it’s definitely better to try and rule everything out.

We did order a pallet of duraglaze once but they are the only mugs we have ever had bad comments from customers over. Saying that it did look like listawood literally sent us the crap they’d had sitting around the warehouse for donkeys years (battered boxes, dust all over them, etc). I vowed to never buy from listawood again.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi there

I have skimmed through most of the replies here and in my very humble opinion it is most likely that the wraps are nearing the end of their life, Try purchasing new batch of wraps and see if that cures the issue, or like Gooner suggests, mark the wrap that produces a faulty mug and see if it happens again next time.

Wraps can easily get "damaged" for example using them on an 11oz mug and then switching to 10oz tends to lead to more failures (on the 10oz). "Re-wrapping" while hot or warm can also have an affect.

I would not suggest that you start playing around with times or temp if you are using the same mugs you have always used. It is unlikely to be that issue if previous batches have always been perfect. Likewise I doubt changing the paper will help mug if the wrap is at end of life.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    Hi there

I have skimmed through most of the replies here and in my very humble opinion it is most likely that the wraps are nearing the end of their life, Try purchasing new batch of wraps and see if that cures the issue, or like Gooner suggests, mark the wrap that produces a faulty mug and see if it happens again next time.

Wraps can easily get "damaged" for example using them on an 11oz mug and then switching to 10oz tends to lead to more failures (on the 10oz). "Re-wrapping" while hot or warm can also have an affect.

I would not suggest that you start playing around with times or temp if you are using the same mugs you have always used. It is unlikely to be that issue if previous batches have always been perfect. Likewise I doubt changing the paper will help mug if the wrap is at end of life.
    Thanks for your suggestion. We did a process of trial and error yesterday and came to the conclusion that it wasn't the wraps. Here's what we did...

We did a batch of mugs, made 100% sure we knew which wraps came from which mugs. When the mugs had cooled, we checked each mug and out of 60 mugs (we have 3 ovens), 4 mugs were bad. We marked the corresponding wraps, did another 60 mugs using the exact same wraps and that time round every mug came out fine. We had more bad mugs in the afternoon but could not pin it to specific wraps unfortunately.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I should have added, we have only had majority of our wraps since June/July but our 3 ovens are on 4 hours a day, so the wraps was a genuine consideration (I actually had 60 new wraps delivered yesterday so will give them a go anyway).

Out of interest @socialgiraffe do you find you need to adjust the time or temperature for designs with say a lot of blue in them or have you found a combination that works for all?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Designs with lots of ink...large areas of dark green, dark brown usually require an extra minute if printing for 20 mins or so.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Out of interest @socialgiraffe do you find you need to adjust the time or temperature for designs with say a lot of blue in them or have you found a combination that works for all?
    Used to have to fiddle, but since using Sublinova Inks and Ink Experts 120 GSM paper I haven't had to adjust anything thankfully. Obviously weather plays a very important part as the temperature of the mugs when they go in the oven will be significantly different as we enter winter. But at the moment its still 14 minutes 30 seconds for me on LW mugs.

Going back to the original topic. Have you run a steel rule up the side of the mug to see how straight the faulty mugs are. I would recommend you looking at every mug to see if that is the common link because at the moment, I, like others, are struggling to find a common link :-(
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...