Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. That shouldn't be there....
    By Drix Productions in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-04-2016, 03:10 PM
  2. Everything happens for a reason.
    By justlasvegas in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-09-2011, 10:58 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any reason why I shouldn't consider AMD processor over Intel?

Looking for a new laptop, and everything I have had before has used Intel processors. A lot of the stuff I am looking at has AMD Ryzen processors, and I know nothing about them, apart that laptops that contain tham appear to have a cost advantage over Intel based machines.

Is there any reason for me to avoid them? I need them to be able to run the usual array of vector and web software, as well as being able to run various printers and cutters symultaneously. I will often have several software packages and drivers open at the same time.
    Are there any obvious reasons why AMD won't do the job? I don't want to buy a new laptop and find it is no use in the workshop.

Most of the comparisons I have found online are very involved and a bit geeky, aimed at gamers. Just looking for a yes/no/don't touch with a bargepole type answer, with relation to printshop use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    IMO no problem whatseover. I've built many systems over the years both Intel and AMD but mainly the latter. I plumpted for Intel when I built my main PC seversl years ago but all other PC's are AMD. Early on I found a few compatability issues but in recent years no issues whatseover.

You tend to get a whole lot more for your money with AMD. I'm considering a new build to replace my 3rd gen Intel and would most definately look at AMD now.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

pw66 (31-12-2020)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    why might you want a laptop ?

For the same money you can get DOUBLE the power on a desktop... and it will be much more upgradable, and stable, and will last longer ... coz you are not carting it about....

Why not get a tower PC for main work, ... and do a 'reset' on your existing laptop .... and just run a very minimal system on it ... so you have 2 machines!

I have never understood why folk run a BIZ on a laptop, when they are expensive, vunerable, and slow....
    You can but 2 towers with the same or better performance for the same price ... and keyboards, mice and monitors last forever .
    DOH
    just given one of my 'stay in business' tricks away ....
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logobear View Post
    why might you want a laptop ?
    Flexibility.
    Portability.
    Personal choice.
    I work from home when I can.
    The above benefits outweigh the extra cost.
    If I couldn't afford £700 for a once a decade purchase I wouldn't bother being in business.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pw66 For This Useful Post:

Justin (01-01-2021), Paul (01-01-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Question isn't whether to ru a laptop or a PC, it's AMD or Intel.

I completely missed that you wanted a latop, my apologies. Still my advise stands. What I would say is when buying a laptop you don't need an incfredibly high spec. Example, we have a i3 laptop here, bought new for £200 a number of years back, slow as heck out of the box so I replaced HDD with SSD. It now runs Linux Mint and is incredibly fast, perfectly reliable.

Same with PC's. I built a very high spec machine, don;t get me wrong, it's great but, I also throw PC's together out of old redundant parts off the shelf, probably not even £50 worth and they do exactly what I need them to do. Control a printer, run Photoshop to print from etc.

A friend has aked me to look for a laptop around £200 used. Ideally I'm going to get something akin to an i5 or AMD equiveleant and put a decent SSD in.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

Paul (01-01-2021), pw66 (02-01-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Justin. That just about sums up my current system.
    I am looking to upgrade my 4gb i3, bought just over 9 years ago. Works fine but is a bit slow with multiple programs working at the same time. There are plenty of i5/Ryzen 5 8gb machines with 256gb/512gb SSD for £500 - £700 which will do the job.

My set up wouldn't work well with a desktop. The cutter is in the workshop, the printers are in another room, the film printer is in the screen room and the office printer is in the office. I have the ability to run everything from my desk, but LIKE the flexibility to move the laptop from room to room when I need to. Having multiple desktop terminals would be overkill for someone who works alone.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Fully appreciate what you're saying and it makes perfect sense. Do you have SSD in your current laptop? if nothing else make sure the new one has this.

My printers are dotted around the office, I have cheaper PC's connect to them and my network and it works quite well.

Hopefully you can pick somehtinbg up in a Sale?