Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Latte mugs
    By Manice in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-08-2020, 05:06 PM
  2. Printing Distortion
    By LaloFP in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-06-2018, 10:51 AM
  3. latte mug template
    By Paul in forum Graphics & Artwork
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 02:20 PM
  4. Latte mugs!!!!!
    By Billy in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
  5. Have Latte Mugs had their day?
    By draig in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Latte Mug Distortion

I'm working with a latte mug style and created a template in Photoshop which basically has a warp bend of 24 degrees. The edge of the transfer sits perfectly with the edges of the top and bottom of the mug.

So far so good. However, the design itself is distorted...a vertical rectangle block running top to bottom within the design has a slight trapezium shape..it's not parallel. Is it possible to have a non distorted latte mug or will there always be a perspective issue?
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 13-01-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's possible.
    It's a long time since I last did it (in Coreldraw and Photoshop), but what I remember is this.

• on layer 1 Create the final printed shape(1) as you have done.
    • on layer 2 Draw a rectangle the height of the mug and the width of the bottom edge of the shape(1).
    • on layer 3 Create the image
    • Select the rectangle and the image, and warp until the rectangle is the same shape as the shape(1) (it might be distort rather than warp)
    • I'd then print it unmirrored, cut it out, and wrap it around the mug to check how it turned out.

It might take a while to get it right. If you are familiar with smart objects you can put layers 2 and 3 in a smart object. Updating the smart object with the next image will, when saved, automatically distort in the master document.
    Skye

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Skye,

I think your method was another way of doing what I had already done, so I got a bit confused.

However, when you wrote the word 'distort' my brain finally caught on that you need to do the opposite of the warp to achieve parallel vertical lines on the slopes of the mug. So I opened up the smart object containing the design, selected perspective and widened out the bottom by an identical 24 degrees. Saved the smart object. Looked at the updated design to see that I had perfect vertical parallel lines. Hoorah.

But of course..when you start widening out designs you have destroyed the quality, so the text is blurred. Think I might need a much larger image?
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 13-01-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.brildor.com/media/upload..._Photoshop.pdf is a good guide to making the templates for these

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but that's the method I use. However, their final result is just a mockup and not accurate.