Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. help opening and converting Melco File please
    By logodigitizing in forum Embroidery
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 24-10-2017, 01:14 PM
  2. supposed to be opening Saturday !! Please help !!
    By giftsne in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 15-03-2011, 12:45 AM
  3. Opening shop
    By Mattie in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 16-11-2010, 10:45 PM
  4. OPENING A DXF FILE IN CRAFT ROBO
    By AJLA in forum Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-07-2010, 12:20 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opening new business - Starter Set-up

Good evening everyone,

I am writing this post to go through what I need to initiate a custom tile printing business. Basically I want to design tiles on Adobe Photoshop, and print on ceramic tiles. This is how I stumbled upon the world of Ceramic Printing. Here are the requirements I wish to have:
    1) Good quality prints
    2) Durable (non scratch-able or heat effected) tiles

After a week of research this is the set-up I am thinking to buy:
    1) Printer - Epson L3160 / ET 2720
    2) Ink - IUBEST Sublimation Ink - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08...I44DJ9JY&psc=1
    3) Heat Press - Sfeomi 5 in 1 press - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08...FOXR1FCH&psc=1
    4) Sublimation Paper - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07...KR8XB7XF&psc=1
    5) Heat pad, teflon sheet, heat tape - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08...XAZDPN97&psc=1

For tiles I am thinking to get these blanks:
    1) https://getprintsupplies.co.uk/produ...les-blank.html
    2) https://getprintsupplies.co.uk/produ...ile-blank.html

Since I want the prints to be durable, will sublimation be enough? Or should I be covering the tiles with some kind of clear top coat to finish & protect?

Am I missing something else? Do you think this set-up will lead me in the right direction? Any tips?

Looking forward to your esteemed feedback, I am in dire need of it! :)

Kind Regards,
    Bernard
    Last edited by datbon; 14-02-2021 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added model in UK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding your equipment, there is not much help we can offer you. Most of our knowledge is based on UK suppliers, and anything you buy from them will be subject to customs fees, post Brexit.

The press is only a cheap one, but will get you started.Never heard of the ink.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If you're doing tiles, then you'd be best spending your money on a good flat bed press, than a cheap jack of all trades multi thing

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for both replies, however I don't seem to be in a better position than I was beforehand. I understand you have more knowledge in UK, but in Malta this is something new and unfortunately we're too small to have the same level of stuff on the market.

Regarding flat-bed press topic, I do wish to maybe explore mugs, etc in the future, and it's good to have the option?

With the set-up I have listed above, will I be able to print high-quality durable tiles? Can I improve durability with some kind of top coat? Am I missing something? Will the L3160 Epson ecotank printer be good for simple shape printing for sublimation?

All these answers I couldn't find answers to online.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datbon View Post
    Will the L3160 Epson ecotank printer be good for simple shape printing for sublimation?
    Probably ok, but L3160 is a European model number, so again you wont find much knowledge on this forum. It is probably one of the ET2700 range. (Maybe an ET2720)
    If you download the online user manual it will also give the UK ET model number. If you post that ET numberthen you will find more information.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THank you! It is indeed the ET 2720 / L3160. Update setup above. Should the set-up be okay?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The printer has the correct Micto Piezo printheads to handle sublimation ink. Do you need wifi and an LCD screen? If not then the L3111/2710 is a good deal cheaper, and the same basic spec.
    Either printer will get you into the business on an entry level, but both are only general purpose home/office printers. Good at printing black and reasonable quality colour images.
    If you want to print hi resolution photo images onto a hard substrate then you will get better results upgrading to the L805, which is a six colour photo printer.

Never heard of the ink or the paper. Some off brand/unbranded products work well and some don't. Cheap inks have been known to clog the printheads if not used every day.
    Try a google search for Inktec Sublinova. We know that works very well.

A good press is key to your business. The one you are viewing looks like cheap junk. As pisquee said get a flat bed.
    Cheap heat presses are hit and miss. Some work well for a long time, some break very quickly & others don't work at all. Hard to recommend or condemn that heat press.
    A sublimation press needs to be better quality than one used for general transfer/vinyl printing. It needs to hold even high temperature (+/-200c)across the entire platen for about 1 minute. Cheap presses can have uneven temperature distribution across the platen and inaccurate temperature reading.
    Personaly, if I were looking at an entry level setup I would save on the printer ( L3111) and spend more on the press.

There are some good presses being made in Italy - Mismatic and Lotus spring to mind. They might be out of your budget, but will hold their resale value better than a cheap press.
    Last edited by pw66; 14-02-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good advice there from pw66.

Ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thank you so much for the input and the time you put into that. I will reshuffle my budgets and let you know.

Regarding Blanks (4" and 6") any recommendations?