Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Sold Adkins Studio Mug Press
    By UK Printed Mugs in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-10-2017, 09:29 AM
  2. For Sale Adkins Studio Mug Press
    By GoonerGary in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-11-2014, 01:09 AM
  3. Adkins Studio Mug Press
    By GoonerGary in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-09-2014, 10:25 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adkins Studio Mug Press Fault

Last June I purchased an Adkins Mug Press from Xpres as I had always believed these to be the best mug presses you can buy with great back-up if there are any faults.

Yesterday I was in the middle of pressing mugs for quite a larger order I had received when I got a very big shock. I put a mug into the press & when I closed the jaws it began to spark & then there were flames coming from the heating element. I quickly turned the power off & thankfully the sparks & flames stopped. As you can imagine the heating element had a big black mark & had burnt away at that spot.

I called Xpres straight away about what had happened & I was told their Technical Department would call me back which they did 4 hours later. I explained what had happened & was told it must be my fault as I was probably catching the corner of the heating element when putting a mug in to the press. I said I was always careful when I put a mug in to press. He then said that I probably had too much pressure on the heating element which had cause the wire to pop out. I said that I always made sure that I had firm pressure, but never too much to cause such a problem. In short, as far as Xpres were concerned it was me who had caused the problem which I totally dispute. I have been pressing mugs for over 10 years now & I do know how to correctly press a mug.

I then had a look on the Adkins website & found a Product Safety Notice regarding a problem with some of the heating elements & it described word for word what had happened with my mug press. The Product Safety Notice was posted in November 2020. I would have thought that the Technical Department at Xpres would have been made aware of this fault, but it appears they know nothing about it.

I called Adkins this morning about the fault & it now seems that if they have the heating element in stock I will have to purchase it as it is outside the 6 month warranty. I now have to wait for Adkins to contact me to see if they have any of these heating elements in stock.

I now have a mug press which cost me nearly £600 & it seems nobody has a replacement heating element for it.

Adkins DSCN1349.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nasty. With Adkins then firm pressure is too much buy the way - it should always be light. Not saying this was the issue as probably not but it will reduce the length of time the element is good for. I must say I have nothing bad to say about Adkins at all. We have a bank of their mug presses (ok they are rebadged from a Chinese manufacturer mind) and literally had a new mug press from them turn up today. They are more than happy to replace elements bought from other suppliers which they did last week for us but again this was within the 6 month period. Whether too much pressure, too many mugs pressed without a break or the element had done more mugs than it could handle - we replace after every 1500 mugs - then who knows but I'm glad you're safe. This printing lark isn't without its dark side - box of plasters always on hand!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to UK Printed Mugs For This Useful Post:

Ian M (16-02-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same issue with a blanket in my Adkins. Wasn't impressed with having to buy a new one when they know there is a fault. That was November ish.

Janners

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JMugs For This Useful Post:

Ian M (16-02-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMugs View Post
    Had the same issue with a blanket in my Adkins. Wasn't impressed with having to buy a new one when they know there is a fault. That was November ish.

Janners
    Like you I'm not impressed at having you pay full price for a new one when they know there is a fault.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Printed Mugs View Post
    Nasty. With Adkins then firm pressure is too much buy the way - it should always be light. Not saying this was the issue as probably not but it will reduce the length of time the element is good for. I must say I have nothing bad to say about Adkins at all. We have a bank of their mug presses (ok they are rebadged from a Chinese manufacturer mind) and literally had a new mug press from them turn up today. They are more than happy to replace elements bought from other suppliers which they did last week for us but again this was within the 6 month period. Whether too much pressure, too many mugs pressed without a break or the element had done more mugs than it could handle - we replace after every 1500 mugs - then who knows but I'm glad you're safe. This printing lark isn't without its dark side - box of plasters always on hand!
    Many thanks & yes it was nasty. The annoying thing is that Adkins know there is a problem with some of the elements, but don't want to know or help if it happens. They have contacted me & said I have to buy a new element at full price. I think I might need a fire extinguisher rather than a box of plasters.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a blow out like this every 5-6 months or so on our bank of Adkins studio twin presses, seems to happen when the corners become frayed after catching after numerous mugs going in. Once they start to expose you can see the coils inside the element itself and as soon as they catch again or surge then they do flame up requiring immediate turning off of the machine. After the first time this happened we did make sure that there is two fire extinguishers in our mug press zone just in case.

We have had elements that have lasted from just 150 presses to 4500 presses over the years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Surely this is a product recall issue? Since when does British/ EU safety standards allow a product to burst into flames after six months?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoonerGary For This Useful Post:

Ian M (17-02-2021), Justin (17-02-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GOOD NEWS

Adkins contacted me today & said they are replacing the heating element FOC. Thank you Adkins for the great customer service.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian M For This Useful Post:

Justin (18-02-2021), knightweb (19-02-2021), Mrteajunkie (18-02-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
    GOOD NEWS

Adkins contacted me today & said they are replacing the heating element FOC. Thank you Adkins for the great customer service.
    Result!
    Nice one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteajunkie For This Useful Post:

Ian M (18-02-2021)