Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Vehicle Mock Up's
    By mnporter2001 in forum Vehicles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-10-2020, 02:59 AM
  2. Vehicle signs
    By Bob700 in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2020, 01:41 PM
  3. BN-20 and vehicle magnetics
    By Mrteajunkie in forum Latex/Solvent/Eco Solvent Printers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-03-2020, 12:22 AM
  4. Vehicle Vinyl
    By AdamB in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-04-2013, 03:06 PM
  5. Vehicle Graphics!
    By AdamB in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14-08-2010, 03:21 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vehicle Graphics - Do I do it?

So we mainly do work uniforms / embroidered and printed, plus some sublimation stuff.
    I've been thinking about Vehicle sign writing. I have a few customers asking about it, but space is tight.

Anyway I've recently Sign Written a small Digger for a regular customer that has clothing. He was desperate and supplied the Vinyl (don't know where he got it from) so I helped him out as I wanted to try it.

Now he has said I've done a great job, so wants me to do his new van and other digger when it arrives.

How much space do you need for vehicle graphics? Also I'm lost and confused as to the right type of vinyl to use - Orical 651 appears good for windows and bodywork is this correct?
    Next is pricing. How the hell do you price up this kind of stuff and is it worth doing? I cant decide.

Thanks
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you insured to do vehicle graphics?
    Most vans are on contract hire or business leasing. What happens when your customer hands it back after 3 years and gets charged for a respray because the your graphics have 'damaged' the paintwork when they are removed? He is going to claim you have caused that damage. Telling him to get stuffed carries a lot more weight when it comes from an insurance company. ( Most 'damage' is due to the paint around the graphics fading, which becomes apparent when it is removed. Good luck with convincing a disgruntled customer of that...)
    Make sure you word your disclaimer well.
    I only write older Bob the builder vans for existing customers (graphics on file), to avoid any problems.

There are three types of vinyl
    1 Monomeric - designed for use on flat surfaces. Usualy has a 3+ year outdoor anti fade rating. Shrinks very slightly in hot conditions.
    2 Polymeric - can be used on slightly curved surfaces, rated for 5-7 years. This is best for general vehicle graphics - it outlasts most vans and is less prone to shrinking.
    3 Cast vinyl - ideal for complex curves, and mainly used for full wraps and digital wraps. 10 - 12 year rating. Too expensive for general use.

Pricing can be complex. Is this a 'side' line to fill in quite times, or will you be doing it at the expense of other paying work?
    I have done well out of simple text and logo jobs in quiet times. Both sides, front and back take about half a day start to finish, and use about £30 of tape and vinyl.

Best to multiply the cost of tape + vinyl by a figure that you are happy with, depending on complexity.
    Some of the bigger graphics are the easiest to cut, weed, tape and apply but a small email address can have more weeding and take longer.
    A 2m x 40cm name along each sides of a van can be cut, weeded, taped and applied in about 30 mins, with practice. That will cost you about £12 for 4 metres of tape and vinyl - you might be happy to multiply by 5 and charge £60.
    Smaller graphics can be a pain. a door graphic with phone, mobile and email can take a lot longer to weed and apply, but only use 1/2 metre of vinyl (£1.50) per door. You will want to charge 10 or 15 times the material cost, because your will spend more time on it.
    Last edited by pw66; 23-02-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi pw66, Thanks for that info. Insurance is something I rang about yesterday and can be added on no problem. Its just the whole pricing side, I dont want to be too cheap. and I will only do simple text. As i did on the digger the other day.

I think i need to sit down and work out whats best.

Thanks
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rear window decals are my main work.
    I charge £25 for a single rear window decal which is 100cm x 30.
    I do have a disclaimer stating before fitting you need to check with your insurance company that you are able to install a decal as most insurance companies will void cover if not informed.

When I sell decals for vehicle siding I also make it completely clear that removing the vinyl after any period it can damage paint work if not removed correctly.
    And after longer periods sun fading will leave a discolouration around the decal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteajunkie For This Useful Post:

Fletcher (26-02-2021)