Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Print issue Ricoh 3110DN - Someone kind enough to help?
    By bendee2020 in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-10-2020, 09:39 PM
  2. ricoh 3110dn print modes and substrate mode
    By paul 44 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2017, 05:13 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-08-2015, 01:43 PM
  4. HELP Ricoh 3110dn won't print in colour
    By elliemillhill in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-04-2014, 07:12 PM
  5. ricoh print quality
    By harry tambo in forum Printers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Ricoh SG 3110DN - Print Quality Suddenly Terrible?

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help me because I'm pulling out my hair over this.

Had my Ricoh SG 3110DN for 3ish years now and print quality has always been impeccible until... it just wasn't? Images are now coming out extremely grainy and are pressing grainy too. I have attached photos of a before & after quality on a mug and then also a look at it on paper. I haven't changed ANYTHING, using exactly the same settings/paper/inks/EVERYTHING as before. Here is all the info:

Printer - Ricoh SG 3110DN
    Inks - Ink4Inkjet
    Paper - JetStreamDigital paper

Printing from direct from Photoshop, 300DPI/600DPI high quality images, using correct ICC profile for inks and custom JSON, using correct side of paper. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :)

(You can really see the difference in quality on the mug if you look at the hands in particular)
    print1.jpgprint2.jpgprint3.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What software do you print from? Is it set to manage colours and is your printer set to high-quality, plain paper, and to not manage colours, maybe a setting has been changed?

Other causes of graininess can be caused by moisture, substrate quality, or incorrect dither settings in the printer driver.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    What software do you print from? Is it set to manage colours and is your printer set to high-quality, plain paper, and to not manage colours, maybe a setting has been changed?

Other causes of graininess can be caused by moisture, substrate quality, or incorrect dither settings in the printer driver.
    Thanks so much for responding to this.

I print directly from Photoshop. I have it set to "Photoshop Manages Colours" and I always select the ICC profile that came with my inks and high quality/plain paper. Nothing has changed even by accident. :(

If it is a moisture problem, do you know how I would be able to tell? And therefore correct it? I did actually look at the dither settings and they are set to "Use error diffusion: photo(image)", but unsure if this is the correct one, it was just the default.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hmm ... to be honest, the only time I've had trouble with moisture was when I was subbing on aluminium panels and a few sheets of kitchen roll helped tremendously, however I've never had this issue with mugs, either in a press or an oven.

Is there any chance your sublimation paper may have retained moisture when stored? Try printing on a sheet of plain A4 copy paper and see what results you get with that. It migh help to eliminate the paper being the problem, if nothing else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm ... to be honest, the only time I've had trouble with moisture was when I was subbing on aluminium panels and a few sheets of kitchen roll helped tremendously, however I've never had this issue with mugs, either in a press or an oven.

Is there any chance your sublimation paper may have retained moisture when stored? Try printing on a sheet of plain A4 copy paper and see what results you get with that. It migh help to eliminate the paper being the problem, if nothing else.
    I don't think any moisture would have gotten into the paper, I store it will my other paper goods in my office and they all seem fine. Just tried on plain A4 paper and still the same grain issue. :( This is absolutely baffling me!! I don't think I could get any help with Sawgrass direct either as I'm using 3rd party inks?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Is the grain visible in the print before pressing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is :(

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Are you printing in 8-bit RGB mode from Photoshop? Do you have any other graphics software that you can print from, eg. Illustrator, CorelDraw, Affinity or the free Inkscape or Gimp software? (Make sure any alternative software can handle ICC profiles though). See if you get the same results when printing from any of these to try and narrow it down to the software as opposed to the hardware.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried using a piece of paper from a newly opened pack, to see if damp paper is the problem?

The coating on sublimation paper soaks up moisture much quicker than other papers. Now that the weather is slightly warmer and damper any reduction in your heating could be enough for opened packs to suck up any moisture in the air.
    I always store my opened packs in a ziplock bag, with one of those poundshop 'dehumidifier' silicon packs in the bag.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you printing in 8-bit RGB mode from Photoshop? Do you have any other graphics software that you can print from, eg. Illustrator, CorelDraw, Affinity or the free Inkscape or Gimp software? (Make sure any alternative software can handle ICC profiles though). See if you get the same results when printing from any of these to try and narrow it down to the software as opposed to the hardware.
    Just checked - printing in 8-bit RGB on Photoshop. Downloaded both Affinity and Gimp, tried printing, same bloody issue!!! I've got some new paper arriving today which I will try and report back.