Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. new to the game
    By puds in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 09:11 PM
  2. New to the game which printer?
    By customwrapz in forum Printers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM
  3. New to the game ( Yep another one! )
    By Whispered Spirit in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 26-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DTF- What do we think? Game changer or red herring?

I've long held the view (I posted on the T-shirt Forum about 4 years ago) that DTG will only ever come into its own as a viable and affordable mid-high volume priting method when it transitioned to a wide format transfer media. I based that on the premise that a wide format printer could produce transfers at speeds far in excess of even an industrial DTG printer at a fraction of the capital investment.

Now that Resolute/TMT have introduced a pro quality DTF printer, is this coming true? Film and ink costs don't look to be too prohibative, considering that there is not much competition in the market, yet. It looks like a 10x12" transfer will cost a little more than a £1 - £1.50 (depending on ink use).

Is it too early to jump, or are the 'early adopter' premiums likely to be too high?

As a screen printer who has printed plastisol transfers in the past I see the 'shake and bake' glue and curing plant as an unnecessary added initial cost for a lot of users.

I know that DTG and DTF are not the same, but the principle of using an inkjet printer to bung a bit of ink onto a t-shirt is close enough to compare the two processes. The ability to print onto polyester is attractive, if it works.

It would be interesting to hear other peoples view.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    DTF sublimation isn't new. There is the advantage if less paper waste as not using transfers, but the ink/fabric still need to go through the rotary press to activate/set the ink.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    DTF sublimation isn't new. There is the advantage if less paper waste as not using transfers, but the ink/fabric still need to go through the rotary press to activate/set the ink.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not enquiring about sublimation, this is a DTG/screenprint substitute. Again it is not brand new, but it is only now moving away from diy/desktop printers into mainstream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPLOVDI-vV4

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I’ve been printing with DTF for 8 months now, I believe it is a game changer, a rotary press isn’t required transfers can be cured using a heat press, flash dryer, oven or tunnel dryer. Like DTG it is a lot of maintenance and DTG still does something’s better, it’s head and shoulders above OKI white printing though.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason For This Useful Post:

Justin (20-05-2021), pw66 (20-05-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Jason;148301 transfers can be cured using a heat press, flash dryer, oven or tunnel dryer.[/QUOTE]

Can the transfers be pressed directly to a garment without curing (after glue is applied) if you are using them as they come off of the printer?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched a DTF video in an epson L1800 interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDZ3-nlIuQk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JMugs For This Useful Post:

pw66 (20-05-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMugs View Post
    Just watched a DTF video in an epson L1800 interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDZ3-nlIuQk
    What concerns me about the diy conversions is ink density/print opacity. Can you lay enough ink down without it pooling (particularly white) without the heated platen?
    Wth sublimation printing it is arguably possible to get better quality prints with a small format diy conversion than even the best wide format machines. I'm not so sure that applies to DTF/DTG.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    My experience is that ink opacity is really good, it almost impossible tell the difference between a DTF print and a plastisol transfer even white, we do both.

You have to cure before pressing it can't be pressed directly onto the garment straight from printing, you need to melt the adhesive into the ink

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason For This Useful Post:

pw66 (20-05-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be nice to get a hard substrate version going. Coloured mugs or even clear glassware if enough of a base is created from the application. Still tempted to have a look anyway but TMT like to keep the prices up which makes volume a bit harder.