Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express, Signzworld and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

  1. HP achieves what Sawgrass failed at? HP Stitch S300/S500/S1000
    By pisquee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-08-2020, 10:46 AM
  2. For Sale 3 x SubliDeck Jigs
    By bubbleimages in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-09-2018, 11:23 AM
  3. Phone jigs/molds question
    By Benberg in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-01-2017, 02:23 PM
  4. mobile phone jigs
    By robbieswan in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    204
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysub View Post
    What have you got in mind? They are all unique/personalised.
    Flatbed printer. With the right software variable data input is a relative doddle.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to froggy For This Useful Post:

    garysub (09-07-2021)

  3. #12
    Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Conwy, North Wales
    Posts
    4,164
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    3
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with what Froggy says. A good RIP that allows variable data using a UV Flatbed printer is the best option.

    Firstly it will be considerably cheaper (taking out the start up costs)
    If you purchase the correct type of UV printer it will also be considerably quicker

    Both of the above are absolutely key if you are going to be printing 0000's per day
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

  4. #13
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    54
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    I agree with what Froggy says. A good RIP that allows variable data using a UV Flatbed printer is the best option.

    Firstly it will be considerably cheaper (taking out the start up costs)
    If you purchase the correct type of UV printer it will also be considerably quicker

    Both of the above are absolutely key if you are going to be printing 0000's per day
    Thanks. I know almost nothing about UV printers - what sort of thing should I be looking at for that volume?

  5. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    204
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysub View Post
    Thanks. I know almost nothing about UV printers - what sort of thing should I be looking at for that volume?
    Have you got that volume, or anywhere near that volume yet? I ask because its a more capital intensive excercise than sublimation so expect to spend £10,000's for the flatbed and a few £1,000's for the laser/s to cut your blanks.

  6. #15
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    54
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    Have you got that volume, or anywhere near that volume yet? I ask because its a more capital intensive excercise than sublimation so expect to spend £10,000's for the flatbed and a few £1,000's for the laser/s to cut your blanks.
    My business is highly seasonal, so I don’t have any volume today but it will come before Christmas and it will be in 0000’s. I will almost certainly go sublimation this first year until I know better exact volumes but I’m interested in the next steps if UV provides a better route.

  7. #16
    Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Conwy, North Wales
    Posts
    4,164
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    3
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I know almost nothing about UV printers - what sort of thing should I be looking at for that volume?
    There are two routes you can go just like any other printer... you can go for reliable, recognised customer support and a proven background. There are quite a few in this field and I would recommend a visit to Fespa to take a lok at all of them in action. The other route is cheap and cheerful with the option of purchasing more. These machines do work, you just have to work harder in the beginning. However what makes them attractive is that you can potentially own 5 of these machines and still save money on one of the leading brands such as Mimaki.

    I have option two (cheap and cheerful) and its very good for what I need. If I were looking at coasters then I would probably prefer a bigger bed (this one is A3) but apart from that I see no issues with producing them, you just have to get the right RIP software and a proper barcode system so that you can "bang them out"

    Please do not ask what make this is as I think there is a supplier that is looking to secure the rights to distribute in the UK.

    UV will ultimately be the way forward for you if you are going to print thousands a day. Your machine will pay for itself within a few months with those sort of numbers.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

  8. #17
    Premium Member Mrteajunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    722
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issues I see here is your works seasonal so in between is the machine being used?

    A lot of my work is constant flow so I know what I can and can’t afford to spend money on.
    The rest is seasonal and event driven (Mother’s Day etc) so the work from that is great when it comes but when it slows there’s a massive drop in sales.
    I barely sell 50 coasters a month but peak I can do 40 a day and it varies massively.

    Do you think you will have the amount of work in between to keep the machine paying for itself?
    If I have helped please hit the thanks button.

  9. #18
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    54
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteajunkie View Post
    The issues I see here is your works seasonal so in between is the machine being used?

    A lot of my work is constant flow so I know what I can and can’t afford to spend money on.
    The rest is seasonal and event driven (Mother’s Day etc) so the work from that is great when it comes but when it slows there’s a massive drop in sales.
    I barely sell 50 coasters a month but peak I can do 40 a day and it varies massively.

    Do you think you will have the amount of work in between to keep the machine paying for itself?
    Totally agree, that will always be in my thoughts. I will be doing 0000's a day but my "season" at that volume lasts 6-8 weeks. It's not an easy business because we do large daily volumes but only for 6-8 weeks. If I was to invest in something like UV then I need to be able to make use of the machine "out of season".

  10. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Wareham
    Posts
    145
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of years ago, we bought the unisub mdf jig, it was big clunky and gave inconsistent results. Its because the mdf jig itself would heat up as it was being used and was inconsistent. I was looking at trying to make a metal jig, one which is thinner than the coaster so the platen of the press was still only touching the coasters when I saw that the unisub one had been updated to such a design. So we can print six coasters on an a4 sheet and use the jig. Now it was quite hit and miss to start with, but you need to hold the jig down when you raise the heat press as it gets pulled up otherwise and can cause the coasters to stick to it and you get a ghost effect but once you get into it you can do them quite well. I still get the odd few that are no good. But mostly ok.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tubstar For This Useful Post:

    garysub (27-07-2021)

  12. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    204
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysub View Post
    Totally agree, that will always be in my thoughts. I will be doing 0000's a day but my "season" at that volume lasts 6-8 weeks. It's not an easy business because we do large daily volumes but only for 6-8 weeks. If I was to invest in something like UV then I need to be able to make use of the machine "out of season".
    Or make £20k a week (for arguments sake) for 6-8 weeks then mothball the machinery till next season. Just looking briefly at the numbers you will save £1000's per day in raw material costs if you use uv over sublimation, if you are selling 30,000 coasters a week (0000's a day) you should save a minimum of £9k a week in raw materials. Of course if you dont hit your numbers then your screwed without a plan "b".

    How did you produce those volumes last xmas?
    Last edited by froggy; 23-07-2021 at 07:35 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •