Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. HP achieves what Sawgrass failed at? HP Stitch S300/S500/S1000
    By pisquee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-08-2020, 11:46 AM
  2. For Sale 3 x SubliDeck Jigs
    By bubbleimages in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-09-2018, 12:23 PM
  3. Phone jigs/molds question
    By Benberg in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-01-2017, 03:23 PM
  4. mobile phone jigs
    By robbieswan in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

If anyone is interested I "think" I've got a jig for coasters that works quite well and, so far, has resolved the problems listed on this thread. I've only had the opportunity to print a few dozen coasters today but the early results are very promising. I have explained below what I have done with this, if anyone else is interested in my approach. I went down this route:

1.) I had a jig machined from 10mm aluminium sheet. Metal seems to be the only real choice as MDF will just warp over time. However I didn't want the flimsy UniSub metal jig, as I want the jig to hold the coasters so they can be pre-loaded whilst another set is printing in a press.
    2.) I had four "locating holes" drilled at each of the four corners, these allow a small "pin" to be inserted.
    3.) I print my coasters at 12UP to an A3 sheet but can also be printed on a wide format machine easily. I also print four dots, one in each corner, which correspond exactly to the locating holes in the jig.
    4.) To ensure registration I just need to poke a pin through two of my printed holes, remove the pin, turn the sheet over and then poke the pin through the holes in the paper and into the "locating holes" in the jig. The coasters are now registered to the image (even if the sublimation printer does not print the image straight on the sheet). A piece of tape is then stuck to each corner.
    5.) The holes for the coasters themselves are machined to 3.5mm deep (my coasters are 3mm deep) and then into each one I have a bit of high temperature foam rubber (about 1.5mm deep), which allows me to get even pressure over each coaster and allow them to sit proud of the top of the jig itself.

So far, so good. Top quality print all over and very good registration, really quick to setup a set of 12 coasters to print. Once I'm certain this setup works well I will be arranging for some more jigs so they can be feed continuously.

Gary

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for anyone that has any experience producing coasters using a UV printer and a laser cutter.....

I've just completed this Christmas and sublimated around 40,000 coasters (all printed 12 up in my jig, on a twin head heat press). I printed the UniSub 90x90 coasters. Earlier in this thread someone suggested an alternative approach of UV printing/laser cutting as the raw material cost would be so much lower. I'm considering this but

1.) Don't know at what sort of point that makes financial sense considering cost of UV Printer/Laser Cutting

2.) How long a print process that is considering daily volumes are 1,500 or so

3.) What do people think about

a.) Printing x up on a sheet and then cutting them out? I've seen something where the laser cutter can register to the printed MDF sheet.
    b.) Making up pre-cut blanks and then printing them individually in a jig (not sure whether you could get a system that registers well enough)
    c.) Buying pre-cut blanks and printing them in a jig (again registration might be the issue here - the unisub coaster vary by a 1mm or more each)

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Unless it looks like a materially good idea I guess I'll end up sublimating again next year....

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysub View Post
    Looking for anyone that has any experience producing coasters using a UV printer and a laser cutter.....

I've just completed this Christmas and sublimated around 40,000 coasters (all printed 12 up in my jig, on a twin head heat press). I printed the UniSub 90x90 coasters. Earlier in this thread someone suggested an alternative approach of UV printing/laser cutting as the raw material cost would be so much lower. I'm considering this but

1.) Don't know at what sort of point that makes financial sense considering cost of UV Printer/Laser Cutting

2.) How long a print process that is considering daily volumes are 1,500 or so

3.) What do people think about

a.) Printing x up on a sheet and then cutting them out? I've seen something where the laser cutter can register to the printed MDF sheet.
    b.) Making up pre-cut blanks and then printing them individually in a jig (not sure whether you could get a system that registers well enough)
    c.) Buying pre-cut blanks and printing them in a jig (again registration might be the issue here - the unisub coaster vary by a 1mm or more each)

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Unless it looks like a materially good idea I guess I'll end up sublimating again next year....

Gary
    It depends, is the short answer. I have multiple lasers and purchased a UV flatbed printer approx 5 months ago. The printer fits in with what we already do, and we use the same production method 52 week of the year so the annual revenue potential is much better than a seasonal xmas line. Printers with UV inksets (especially white) need to be continually working otherwise you will have problems with the print heads clogging (and they are expensive to replace). The smaller flatbeds with capacity to print on substrate upto 150mm thick, are relatively expensive. If you look at the cost of entry, especially if you want a bed size and print speed which can knock out the numbers, you will think of plenty of reasons why you shouldnt spend the money and stick to your current production method.

On the up side, we produce our own blanks in any shape we want for a fraction of the cost of sublimation blanks. We dont worry about availability of blanks as we produce our own, we dont run out of blanks for the same reason, we can create "unique" blank shapes, try finding a sublimatable chicken shape or car. A secure supply chain has a great deal of value, especially with how things have been over the last couple of years.

You are doing good numbers (especially if you are getting retail money for them) so I presume the numbers will work. If you plan on expanding your offer and producing all year round then it makes more sense. There is a great deal of competition out there and my opinion is it will get harder before it gets better, the only way forward is to out produce the competition and have a lower cost base, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at things) that means spending even more money on higher production machinery to bring down unit costs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to froggy For This Useful Post:

garysub (20-12-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer a couple of your other questions,

To produce 1500 90x90 coasters would take approx 9 hours but my bed size is only 710x510mm on a bigger bed with more print heads you could produce 1500 in 2-3 hours.

If you want to print a sheet then cut them out you will need a laser with a camera system (Trotec). Using jigs is the better method and you can get very good accurate registration, plus you arent tying up your lasers when things get busy when using jigs.
    If you are producing your own blanks with a laser then each coaster is +/- .01mm ie very tight.

I wouldnt consider buying in blanks, on your numbers with a cost of 30p a blank you will get your money back halfway through the production run(chinese 80 watt machine 90x60 cutting bed)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you get any burn marks on the edges of certain materials from laser cutting if printing first? I tried having metal and unisub board cut by laser years ago and that was problematic but mainly because the coating would burn off at the edges and would then not print well after. Also had mdf cut more recently which leaves a slight scorch mark to edges. Can get away with the effect for some designs but not all.

The larger suppliers of some of the large flatbed Mimakis and such will put a run through for you if you call in with a batch of coasters. When I did this with phone cases and signs it worked quite well and registration was good. Takes some setting up but once you have it going well the following batches will be quicker. Also, it was notable on value for money with the UV that it doesn't cost much more to go larger. I remember looking at the Roland LEF20 and for a couple more thousand you could get a far bigger flat bed. Don't know much about the laser side but I would certainly explore the UV part further and pay a visit to some suppliers. Sign and Digital is great for seeing the options but not sure when that is on next.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    To answer a couple of your other questions,

To produce 1500 90x90 coasters would take approx 9 hours but my bed size is only 710x510mm on a bigger bed with more print heads you could produce 1500 in 2-3 hours.

If you want to print a sheet then cut them out you will need a laser with a camera system (Trotec). Using jigs is the better method and you can get very good accurate registration, plus you arent tying up your lasers when things get busy when using jigs.
    If you are producing your own blanks with a laser then each coaster is +/- .01mm ie very tight.

I wouldnt consider buying in blanks, on your numbers with a cost of 30p a blank you will get your money back halfway through the production run(chinese 80 watt machine 90x60 cutting bed)
    Thanks for this (and earlier post). The 9 hours for 1,500 coasters is that purely the UV printer time? Blanks could be produced well in advance for us.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysub View Post
    Thanks for this (and earlier post). The 9 hours for 1,500 coasters is that purely the UV printer time? Blanks could be produced well in advance for us.....
    Yes, the blanks are produced in advance and a jig is filled while the other is being printed so changeover is as quick as is possible. You need to be efficient if you dont want to be working past midnight every day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Do you get any burn marks on the edges of certain materials from laser cutting if printing first? I tried having metal and unisub board cut by laser years ago and that was problematic but mainly because the coating would burn off at the edges and would then not print well after. Also had mdf cut more recently which leaves a slight scorch mark to edges. Can get away with the effect for some designs but not all.

The larger suppliers of some of the large flatbed Mimakis and such will put a run through for you if you call in with a batch of coasters. When I did this with phone cases and signs it worked quite well and registration was good. Takes some setting up but once you have it going well the following batches will be quicker. Also, it was notable on value for money with the UV that it doesn't cost much more to go larger. I remember looking at the Roland LEF20 and for a couple more thousand you could get a far bigger flat bed. Don't know much about the laser side but I would certainly explore the UV part further and pay a visit to some suppliers. Sign and Digital is great for seeing the options but not sure when that is on next.
    Apologies Andrew I missed your question. You can get burn marks, but these can be eradicated with an experienced laser operator and good quality machines. UV machines have become much more reliable, quality and speed is increasing over time. A production machine which can produce 1200x1200 images at 50m2 an hour is still going to be in the £150k+ price bracket.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    look in to Arizona 135 GT you can print on flat bed and then cnc or laser cut it. And is around £75k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello! Would you mind sharing where you got this made? I want to get some metal jigs for my business cards but haven’t found anyone that has a plasma cutter to cut accurate enough (54.1 x 85.1mm rectangles) in 0.5mm metal similar to the unisub jigs.