Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Options for sublimating ceramic plates . . .
    By Creativesub in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-06-2020, 02:42 PM
  2. Printing onto Ceramic Plates
    By AngelaMc in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-06-2020, 02:38 PM
  3. Ceramic Plates
    By Andysam26467 in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Last Post: 20-12-2015, 01:44 PM
  4. Wanted - print and cut vinyl signs for concrete and rough surfaces
    By daviddeer in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Last Post: 03-10-2015, 09:48 AM
  5. hard going
    By in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-11-2009, 11:04 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Uneven dye transfers on hard surfaces (ceramic plates)

Hello I am new to sublimating, but I have been trying to sublimate onto vintsge ceramic plates.

I have primed my plates using Subliglaze Adhesion Promoter, and Subliglaze Clear Sublimation Coating spray with multiple coats, and allowed the plates to cure for the appropriate time and temperature in a small convection oven.

I am using A-Sub sublimation paper (125 G, 8.5x11) and printing on the paper with an Epson 2720 using Hiipoo sublimation ink.

The heat press I am using just says it is a Combination Heat Press Machine.

When I heat press I allow the heat press to heat up to 400 degrees F. Then I pre-heat the plates before sublimating by heat pressing onto the plate for about 5-10 seconds. I found some advice that said that pre-heating the surface will allow the ink to transfer more evenly.

Then I sublimate the plates. I've tried 240sec (the hippo), 220sec, 200sec (the leopard), 180 sec(giraffe), 160sec (the heart). I've had the best results with 180 seconds (the giraffe).

However, most of the plates have a small depression in the middle of the plate, directly in the center. It looks like most of my plates are blurry in the very center of the plate where the depression is. Moreover, most of my plates are not transferring very well at the very edges of the image I am trying to sublimate.

Thanks for your help!

Giraffe 1.jpgleopard 2.jpgleopard 1.jpgGiraffe 2.jpgHippo.jpgheart.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    If there is a small depression in the middle of your plates I would that your flat heat press platen isn't making full contact which would cause this.

I assume you're using a plate press platen?

It's not normally necessary to pre heat anything unless it has possible moisture. Have you tried without? Unless this is specific to your coating which I wouldn't know.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, yes it is with a plate press platen. I have tried sublimation without pre-heating the plates, but I had worse results.

Is there a technique you know of that would allow me to get full contact with a plate press platen if the plates have a small depression in the center of the plates? I've seen some people put rubber silicon baking sheets between the plate press platen and the plates, but I am not sure if that will solve my problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I've done similar on mug bases that were slightly concave, adding small pieces of rubber sheet. Problem is you have to up the temp and/or time and the rest of the image may suffer as a result.

My immediate thoughts are that you need to be using perfectcly flat plates but maybe someone else can offer a solution.

They 'may' work with shrink in an oven as this take up all uneveness.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a bit of 1mm silicone sheet it helps with the uneven surface of the plate also gives slightly more even heat distribution

But I have to add about 90 seconds to the time

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk