Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. New to printing on glass chopping boards - ink bleed?
    By CoastalJJ in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-11-2020, 08:36 AM
  2. Glass chopping board boxes
    By Johnellisimages in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-04-2019, 06:08 PM
  3. Best option for 12" x 16" Chopping Boards?
    By gazfocus in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-06-2016, 07:07 PM
  4. Sourcing non chinchilla Glass chopping boards / worktop savers
    By kevdsn in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 08:53 AM
  5. Glass chopping boards
    By JMugs in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issues with heatpressed print on glass chopping boards

Hi there, i am new here, i heatpress mainly as a hobby, i recently got some sublimation chopping boards where you heatpress the image on the back so it shows through the front, BUT every chopping board has print issues where it looks like big blotches on parts of the photo/pictures, i secure the paper to the chopping board with bits of heat tape as normal so i am not sure it is because the paper moves, here are pictures of what i mean

so far i have wasted 5 chopping boards lol as the final thing is not really good. also this has happened on a round glass clock face

545454.jpg

1630067569743.jpg
    1630067681727.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    What printer/inks/paper are you using? Time & Temp, pressure of press etc?

I don't do any glass, pain in the arse.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    What printer/inks/paper are you using? Time & Temp, pressure of press etc?

I don't do any glass, pain in the arse.
    i am using a epson wf-210w with those refillable ink cartridges in as i had a ecotank but it was useless as i never used it enough and the ink kept getting clogged and knackering the print head.

i use cityinkexpress sublimation inks and their cream sub paper. on everything else it has all been fine its just with these glass chopping boards and the glass clock face i get this odd issue

the temps i use are what i sstated from where i got these sub blanks from which is subliblanks, 180 seconds and 190°C temp

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    you said you are using your gear as a hobby mainly... Is this mean you have hobby equipment? I dont want to burst your buble but to get descent results you will need half descent equipment. Or if you have some el cheapo press, inks, papers etc.... you will need to do some proper tweeking. s very unlikly that it willl work out of the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The inks are on par with anything ink experts sell, i started with theirs which were ok but needed a new printer so i got a bundle from cityinkexpress theres no difference.

the heat press is vevor one, i did have one from ink experts but it had heating issues and i was not keen on the clam shell style so i got the vevor one. heating wise i used one of those laser thermometers that my bro inlaw had and all the heat is even on the one ive got now. the other is in the attic lol though lets be honest ink experts presses are just rebadged ones from china anyway

i may try different paper to see whats what, though it shouldnt be as ive done loads of stuff even ceramic tiles and slate. maybe i need different paper for the glass :o

i know alot of cheap presses can be crap but theres actually more good feedback on them from actual users than bad. just depends which ones.
    Last edited by mark25810; 27-08-2021 at 11:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally I use ink experts paper and the sublinova inks.
    I use an epson eco tank printer and freesub presses with no issues whatsoever.

When I used cheap presses and cheap inks, i was ready to throw it all away with nothing but problems.

I give any glass items a wipe over with ipa 99% before I press them to remove any contaminants.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found mine needed a little more time than was suggested and reasonably firm pressure but I've done quite a few and they come out fine

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    definitely try upping the time/temp/pressure as it looks like it needed a bit more

Also, try pre heating the glass panel with blank normal paper to absorb any moisture

Make sure the ink is dry on the transfer paper before using (and the transfer paper itself it dry, not damp from where it's been stored)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark25810 View Post
    the temps i use are what i sstated from where i got these sub blanks from which is subliblanks, 180 seconds and 190°C temp
    I don't know if this will help but the recommended time/temp from The Transfer Press for chopping boards always worked a treat for me.

"Pressing time 4 minutes at 200° c with medium pressure. Do not mirror image when printing out your transfer.

Lay transfer on base of press and place the chopping board on top (white side down) covered with a sheet of plain paper. Remove from press when pressing time is complete and turn over onto uncoated side to allow to cool."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Everyone i found out my issue lol i messaged the place i get the chopping boards from....i needed to pre-press the chopping boards to get rid of any moisture, they said to put a piece of white printer paper over the top of the side the image will be pressed on then press it for 5 seconds each time, do it a few times, as soon as i did this i could see where the moisture from the chopping board had gone into the white paper, this is why those horrid patterns on my finished items had the patterns randomly all over.

i did this pre-press 4 times and did a chopping board with a image i printed and its perfect lol.

i knew about pre-pressing t-shirts and fabrics but had no idea its wise to do it with other things too like glass items