Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. single presses or multi-presses for pressing 300 mugs?
    By Violetsub in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-11-2017, 01:50 PM
  2. Mug ovens
    By cleverprintinguk in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2017, 01:00 PM
  3. Mug presses vs ovens
    By Deano82 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-10-2015, 12:30 PM
  4. Mug Ovens
    By booflegem in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 22-11-2012, 03:03 PM
  5. Mug Ovens
    By Andrew in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 19-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ha ha �� If you find me strung up down aisle 3 next to the farrow and ball paint range then you know I messed things up!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    Two things....

I use 10 and 11 oz and have very few problems except those that I know about (dirty mug wraps for example).

A couple of examples...

I have just completed 600 odd 11oz mugs today and there are about 7 rejects. The main reason those are rejected is that I am using quite old wraps and am tighter than a gnats arse to buy more LOL

I have a customer that has just ordered about 28 boxes of mugs, I will purchase 30 to allow for failures and I expect to have mugs left over.

Neither of the above are bragging, I am just pointing out where you should be. Incidentally, I have found that when it comes to ovens, it does not matter one bit what mug you are using (except those bloody dolphin ones!!!) quality of the print and the vibrancy of the colours aside as that is based more on the coating than anything else.

This leads me on to two things...

Firstly, where are you based? I reckon I could have you up and running in a day and solve all the issues, but if you are a long way away that would be a no no ;-)

Secondly, do you want to sell your secondhand mug wraps cheaply ;-)

If I could work out away, I would be happy to do a zoom with me showing how I print, wrap and print my mugs...
    Thanks Simon, very useful as always :)

We have tried almost every brand of mugs you can think of.

Not necessarily to try fixing the problem (as I don’t think the ovens are the issue), but I’ve got two Schulze Gigant ovens coming on Monday, so can’t wait for them to arrive. Main reasons being that a) they have a built in digital thermometer which is accurate from what I’ve read, and b) all the mugs cook in one mesh basket rather than over x number of shelves, so theoretically should give a more even cook.

That said, I am going to try your suggestion of a single mug for 11 mins at 170 first on the BC01 to see if that works good, then go from there as especially over Christmas it would be really useful to have 5 ovens up and running :)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure

If I am in bone idle mode then I only do 12 at a time temp dial on my oven is set to 170 but doubt it’s that accurate. Time for those is 16 minutes at the moment, but that will probably increase as we head into winter.

Today I was putting 20-24 in at a time and running for 22 mins.

These were “shitty Signzworld ones”. That is the customer description and not mine. To be fair I thought they were pretty decent. I have done a few for this customer and not had any major issues. Dealing with SW customer service is a ball ache though. My personal preference as you already know is Listawood, but it would be about the same time and temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I personally wouldn’t use signzworld mugs again but it depends on the use case I guess. We never had any issues with printing full bleed on signzworld mugs, it was more that the designs washed off in the dishwasher despite them being advertised as dishwasher safe.

In terms of vibrancy, I’ve never had mugs as vibrant as both the xpres 10oz and the listawood AAA grade, however, for AAA grade mugs, the listawood ones had a heck of a lot of flaws.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazfocus View Post
    Thanks Simon, very useful as always :)

We have tried almost every brand of mugs you can think of.

Not necessarily to try fixing the problem (as I don’t think the ovens are the issue), but I’ve got two Schulze Gigant ovens coming on Monday, so can’t wait for them to arrive. Main reasons being that a) they have a built in digital thermometer which is accurate from what I’ve read, and b) all the mugs cook in one mesh basket rather than over x number of shelves, so theoretically should give a more even cook.

That said, I am going to try your suggestion of a single mug for 11 mins at 170 first on the BC01 to see if that works good, then go from there as especially over Christmas it would be really useful to have 5 ovens up and running :)
    Do me a favour…

Take a photo of your mug with a print wrapped around it, then a photo of it in the green mug wrap, and then a photo of the temperature dial of your oven.

Those three things are really the only things that can be causing any issues

USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to socialgiraffe For This Useful Post:

gazfocus (09-10-2021)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ovens to Mug Presses...anyone done it?

Do me a favour…

Take a photo of your mug with a print wrapped around it, then a photo of it in the green mug wrap, and then a photo of the temperature dial of your oven.

Those three things are really the only things that can be causing any issues

Here you go :) I forgot to take a photo of the dial but it’s set at 175 degrees.

The frustrating thing is that it’s only ever one side of the mug and it’s always in the same area of the mug.

Last edited by gazfocus; 13-10-2021 at 09:01 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a cheap halogen oven with wraps near full wrap dark colours with good success rate. the problem at the moment is the mug quality is very poor. In fact rubbish AAA with big dips in the sides ,checked with a straight edge , leaving poor transfer areas. I would like someone to tell me this wont happen with a press if possible. i need a supply for guaranteed AAA.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ovens to Mug Presses...anyone done it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pressed off View Post
    Using a cheap halogen oven with wraps near full wrap dark colours with good success rate. the problem at the moment is the mug quality is very poor. In fact rubbish AAA with big dips in the sides ,checked with a straight edge , leaving poor transfer areas. I would like someone to tell me this wont happen with a press if possible. i need a supply for guaranteed AAA.
    I do think the core issue is the quality of mugs coming out of China at the moment. We’ve tried all sorts this past few months and nothing is eradicating the problem. We’ve tried different ink (sawgrass compared with Epson printers), different paper, different times/temps, different qty of mugs in the ovens, different mug suppliers, adding an extra sheet of plain paper between the sublimation paper and the silicon wrap to make the tension slightly tighter, nothing seems to be working 100% of the time.

The only thing we’ve had success with is a specific brand of mugs but they were 10oz and not 11oz.

To answer your question though, I can almost guarantee that you won’t have this issue with mug presses due to the amount of padding in the heat blankets. The problem with mug presses is you can’t get anywhere as close to the handle and full bleed prints are problematic.
    Last edited by gazfocus; 14-10-2021 at 08:08 PM.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazfocus View Post
    Here you go :) I forgot to take a photo of the dial but it’s set at 175 degrees.

The frustrating thing is that it’s only ever one side of the mug and it’s always in the same area of the mug.

Gotta be honest, I can not see anything wrong with you you have wrapped the mug. Perhaps my paper is slightly less in depth (maybe 1mm or so) but I can not see that making a difference. 175 is a wee bit hotter than mine, but again nothing to be concerned with because the temp you set the oven to depends as much on ambient temperature as it does coating etc.

what time and quantites are you getting failures with and any chance you can post a couple of images of the sort of failure
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gotta be honest, I can not see anything wrong with you you have wrapped the mug. Perhaps my paper is slightly less in depth (maybe 1mm or so) but I can not see that making a difference. 175 is a wee bit hotter than mine, but again nothing to be concerned with because the temp you set the oven to depends as much on ambient temperature as it does coating etc.

what time and quantites are you getting failures with and any chance you can post a couple of images of the sort of failure
    Thanks Simon, reassuring to know it's not something basic we are doing wrong :)

The bulk of the issues are relating to blurring about an inch from the bottom of the mug on one side but over the past few days we have been having issues where mugs were coming out of the oven faded on one side and perfect on the other. Spoke to Steven and Adam from Dye Sublimation Supplies today and they suggested that the way they are being stored means that one side of the mug is colder than the other. When I checked, I could definitely feel a difference on either side so have moved the mugs and will try them again on Monday.

Normally we do 16 mugs per oven load with 8 on a tray, 2 trays per oven, with the dial at 165 for 21 minutes. Running two ovens simultaneously we are getting 6-8 failures out of 32 mugs. I tried your idea of 175 degrees for 11 minutes with one mug as a test and still had the same issues with just one mug.

The odd thing is that the brand of mugs we are using at present, we've been using exclusively for months now and we have had very few go wrong. S*** just seems to have hit the fan for no apparent reason and there's no rhyme or reason for it.

I'll sort some photos of the faults when I get home from work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a small oven that held six mugs for a while (9 would have been possible), so not quite the same scale. My studio was always cold in the winter so I used a second oven set at 40 degrees to preheat mugs, my random failures became very few. Bonus was I stopped making adjustments from winter to summer.
    This would illiminate the cold spots issue.

Janners