Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Illustrator CS6 - Adding Bleed
    By Justin in forum Graphics & Artwork
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2019, 06:01 PM
  2. Bleed on plates and mugs
    By adamctid in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 06:39 PM
  3. Blue tint on edges of mugs
    By Oaten in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-03-2014, 10:05 PM
  4. MUG Letter Bleed
    By JackB in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-06-2013, 10:38 PM
  5. sub ink bleed through paper problem
    By logobear in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28-09-2011, 10:57 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smearing-bleed around print edges on mugs

Hi guy, not sure if I'm in the correct section for this but will move it if not.

Anyway I have recently moved into mug sublimation however have ran into a problem that I've never seen before.

When sublimating images, I am seeing a red halo or mist bleeding out from the edges. Now at first I though it was only black however after some experimentation it seems to be any color which requires magenta. I have so far tried various settings on my press. Reducing and increasing both time and temp though reducing both has improved things, but I have reached the limit of how far I can push this.

I am using the Xpress 10oz XP5013 mugs, printing on a Sawgrass SG400 Printer, inks are by City Ink and I'm also using City Ink 125 GSM mug papers with the City Ink ICC profile.

I bought the printer from a local business that closed during the lockdowns and at first thought it may have been just old inks, as they had said that the printer had not been used for a while. However, new ink and correct ICC profiles, good papers etc did significantly improve things but it hasn't cured the issue. Lighter colors that don't contain magenta are fine. Therefore I'm left wondering if I am still doing something wrong or if I have a faulty printer.

Any thoughts wood be appreciated

black issuen.jpg

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Try dunbking mug straight into bucket of water after printing - don't even take the paper off first, and see if instantly cooling the mug stops the ink spreading

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried replacing your magenta ink?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit late to the party on this but that issue is not down to the sublimation process. It's happening during the print process. This happens to my Roland eco solvent printer.
    It's caused by static on the print media. Magenta ink seems more susceptible to static and particles are drawn away from the printhead on to the paper during the print.
    With sublimation, it's almost undetectable until you cook it as the ink mist is absorbed into the paper.
    On an eco solvent with vinyl, you can see the very fine mist of magenta under a looking glass.

I find increasing the ambient temperature in the room by a few degrees does the trick for eco solvent. I actually thought my printhead was knackered at first until someone suggested increasing the ambient temp in the room to reduce humidity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 7 years of relative problem free sublimation, I hit the problem of ghosting on my mugs. I've never encountered it before.

After keeping my local RSPCA shop well stocked with "Seconds" I finally found the solution. I open the mug press slowly then place the hot mug in front of a cooling fan for a few minutes with the paper still on. It's worked every time since.

No doubt the lawmaker Sod will now notice and set me a new problem to solve.

Ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.