Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Xpres Free Delivery Fridays question
    By StellaD in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-10-2018, 11:41 AM
  2. i need mugs.....lots of mugs...at least a quote for lots of mugs !!
    By giftsne in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-01-2016, 06:35 PM
  3. Question about Adkins and Xpres
    By sarahd in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-02-2014, 06:24 PM
  4. cap press having a wobbly
    By jennywren in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Last Post: 13-08-2013, 09:52 AM
  5. xpres basic mug question
    By Steve in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Last Post: 25-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    What were your initial problems with Neil Bros? Was it just supply issues?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    What were your initial problems with Neil Bros? Was it just supply issues?
    No it was not supply, they've always been very good with me. I want to be quite careful here as I'm not 100% certain my assertion for moving was correct and I wouldn't want to throw stones on that basis. I was basically getting the same sort of issues that "gazfocus" is having with his prints (blurring at points on the mug where it would appear the surface is not sufficiently straight). After PM messages with gazfocus it turned out we both had the same issue with the same mugs/supplier. Most of our remaining setup was different. I felt like I had exhausted every other possibility and was left with the mugs (which had always been fine for the 3-4 years prior, so I was reluctant to think it was them). I tested a few alternatives and got better results although at this time I was also experimenting with new ovens, wraps etc - I did a bit of a wholesale review of everything I was using/doing. I ended up moving partly to "try someone else" and partly because I got in early and got a low price from Listawood before they revised their pricing for Christmas 2021.

I have since switched ovens and wraps and I'm slowing starting to think it wasn't necessarily the mugs at all. In fact, I think it's too simplistic to say "it's the mugs or it's the wraps or it's the paper) as it's always a combination of everything. I think it comes down to how well/closely the paper wraps to the mug which really is a combination of all three. A "curvy" mug can be overcome with a very tight wrap but even a "straight mug" will give problems if your wraps are too loose/old/stretched/long. I've also moved from 10oz mugs to 11oz mugs because I think they have a slightly larger circumference, so all other things being equal, any wrap has increased pressure.

Gary

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysub View Post
    No it was not supply, they've always been very good with me. I want to be quite careful here as I'm not 100% certain my assertion for moving was correct and I wouldn't want to throw stones on that basis. I was basically getting the same sort of issues that "gazfocus" is having with his prints (blurring at points on the mug where it would appear the surface is not sufficiently straight). After PM messages with gazfocus it turned out we both had the same issue with the same mugs/supplier. Most of our remaining setup was different. I felt like I had exhausted every other possibility and was left with the mugs (which had always been fine for the 3-4 years prior, so I was reluctant to think it was them). I tested a few alternatives and got better results although at this time I was also experimenting with new ovens, wraps etc - I did a bit of a wholesale review of everything I was using/doing. I ended up moving partly to "try someone else" and partly because I got in early and got a low price from Listawood before they revised their pricing for Christmas 2021.

I have since switched ovens and wraps and I'm slowing starting to think it wasn't necessarily the mugs at all. In fact, I think it's too simplistic to say "it's the mugs or it's the wraps or it's the paper) as it's always a combination of everything. I think it comes down to how well/closely the paper wraps to the mug which really is a combination of all three. A "curvy" mug can be overcome with a very tight wrap but even a "straight mug" will give problems if your wraps are too loose/old/stretched/long. I've also moved from 10oz mugs to 11oz mugs because I think they have a slightly larger circumference, so all other things being equal, any wrap has increased pressure.

Gary
    We've also found that external temperate can have a big influence in how well an uneven mug will print.

Using the Xpres issue we've been having lately. We noticed that when the weather was particulaly cold, we would get blurring in the same spot on every mug. It was always where there was a more significant dip in the side of the mug, which always seemed to be the same place.

As a trial, we put a load of trays of mugs in our bathroom overnight (as it's the only room in our warehouse with a radiator). Came in today, used the mugs from the bathroom and not had a single issue.

Makes me wonder if those issues we both had over 2020/2021 were simply due to the cold weather.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My comment from another thread....

I ran a small oven that held six mugs for a while (9 would have been possible), so not quite the same scale. My studio was always cold in the winter so I used a second oven set at 40 degrees to preheat mugs, my random failures became very few. Bonus was I stopped making adjustments from winter to summer.
    This would illiminate the cold spots issue.

Janners

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I always found the xpres mugs to have no issues but mdp mugs are a nightmare if you don’t warm them up first.

so I always warm up the mdp mugs in either hot water or a bit before pressing or put them on our hot plate on low for a few minutes to warm them through. (Got this tip from olly)

since warming mugs I get little to no issues.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteajunkie For This Useful Post:

UK Printed Mugs (22-01-2022)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just revisiting this thread...we are still having issues with mugs and I'm really at the end of my teather now. Using the Xpres 10oz mugs (the leftover stock from Christmas) we are getting a high level of failures in the ovens. We have tried everything to resolve the issues, leaving them in a room with heating over night, pre heating the mugs in the oven at 40 degrees, different paper, different times, different wraps, we've even relocated the ovens to see if the one end of the building was colder than the other, and nothing is helping.

Xpres have been really good at trying to make suggestions but still nothing has worked and I'm so ready to throw the towel in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Can you post examples of the issues you're having?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Can you post examples of the issues you're having?
    Hey Justin. I’ve added a photo below. Thanks :)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gazfocus For This Useful Post:

Justin (16-02-2022)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi gazfocus

In my experience that's lack of closeness of the paper to the mug (the "gap" helping the ink to spray out), I'd "guess" that the wrap is loose or rather the wrap on that mug was loose.

I remember back in the old days when I used a mug press some mugs would be tighter/looser in the press than others as circumference varies. Maybe that particular mug with that particular wrap was too loose (that wrap on a different mug might work and/or that mug with a tighter wrap might work). I know it's expensive (and so probably not a long term solution) but do you get any such problems if you were to shrink wrap?

Regards
    Gary

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gazfocus

Another thought.....how "tall is your paper" i.e. what dimensions?

Gary