Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Sawgrass SG400 Printing Faint Colours
    By mikeylord in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2019, 01:07 PM
  2. Different colours
    By Quinsfan in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2018, 07:14 PM
  3. colours not right
    By carsm in forum Printers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 30-07-2016, 10:27 PM
  4. cant seem to get colours right
    By fundecals in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2015, 03:07 PM
  5. Sawgrass ICC versus Sawgrass Powerdrive
    By Marcelle in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sawgrass colours seem off

I’ve always used Epson printers for sublimation and in general have been satisfied with them. The only complaint I have is that due to the amount of printing we do, the rollers give up feeding the paper properly so we end up swapping printers regularly.

Anyway, we’ve just recently got a Sawgrass SG500 to try out and the colours just don’t seem accurate.

I’ve attached two photos. First one is the a mug printed with the Epson (showing what the colours should be) and the second one is the SG500 which looks a lot deeper/too bold.

I’m using photoshop to print from, the Epson one is set to adobergb and the Sawgrass one is the srgb profile, printed through print manager.

Is there anything obvious that I may be missing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I see here is the difference in mdp mugs compared to xpres mugs.
    The difference in adobe rgb and srgb is most likely the cause alongside the different inks in your epson and the profile.

If I’m honest I prefer the second one which is brighter.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteajunkie View Post
    What I see here is the difference in mdp mugs compared to xpres mugs.
    The difference in adobe rgb and srgb is most likely the cause alongside the different inks in your epson and the profile.

If I’m honest I prefer the second one which is brighter.
    Both mugs are xpres xp5013’s.

While I agree that the second image is more pleasing to the eye, it’s just not accurate to the actual artwork unfortunately. I wonder if it’s worth trying to print to the sawgrass in adobergb?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Why not bypass Print Manager and just print with an ICC profile?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Everyone I know, including ourselves, ditched the SG500 within the first week as colour matching is terrible and you cannot bypass to use a custom icc. We stuck with sg400 and buy decent 2nd hand when we can. There are many threads on this subject but if colour matching is important then the sg500 is not the way to go I'm afraid.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Printed Mugs View Post
    Everyone I know, including ourselves, ditched the SG500 within the first week as colour matching is terrible and you cannot bypass to use a custom icc. We stuck with sg400 and buy decent 2nd hand when we can. There are many threads on this subject but if colour matching is important then the sg500 is not the way to go I'm afraid.

... you cannot bypass to use a custom icc.
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not what I wanted to hear

Can I ask why you can’t use a custom icc even when printing from photoshop directly to the printer?

Main issue with my Epson is it doesn’t pull the paper through straight. I’ve spoken to the retailer I bought it from and they’ve just jumped straight to offering a refund and collecting the printer. No effort to repair it (although it does look like it’s a poorly designed paper tray that’s the issue).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firmware restricts the SG500 to not allowing direct printing without dithering of certain colours to prevent doing so (legally they shouldn't but thus is Sawgrass hey). After endless days talking with Sawgrass support then basically they force you to use print manager. Total rubbish.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firmware restricts the SG500 to not allowing direct printing without dithering of certain colours to prevent doing so (legally they shouldn't but thus is Sawgrass hey). After endless days talking with Sawgrass support then basically they force you to use print manager. Total rubbish.
    Well that sucks. I’ve got 3 x sg500’s here (two still sat in their box).

I have to admit, when I start comparing colours from the Epson, the SG500 and the on screen mock-ups, none of them are 100% accurate.

I think I’ll be spending my Christmas break playing around with different settings and trying to get a happy medium. Either that or buy another Epson that doesn’t have a crap paper tray design

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got the same issue with this printer as my Ricoh 3110 gave up this year. I need to colour match with my old printer. I have to manually change the brightness/contrast/saturation etc on every single print and it’s still not the same as my old prints. Not only is it time consuming, it’s also eating through cartridges.