Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. switching over from oven to press
    By bycandlelight27 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-06-2014, 09:59 PM
  2. Press or Oven
    By Dave271069 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 05:14 PM
  3. Oven or not to oven?
    By North guy in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM
  4. press V oven
    By candleman6500 in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
  5. Press vs. oven
    By chocitiger in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mug press, jml oven, or both?

hi

im still debating what press/presses to get.

im debating between a multi press that has a flat bed/mugs/cap or single flat press and mug press, however this leaves me without a cap press.

so got a few questions about doing mugs.

which is quicker and requires least amount of work for doing multiple mugs? a mug oven or a single press? if going a batch of say 4+ mugs which is easiest and quickest?

how many mugs can you do in the jml oven? i know people talk about doing 4, but can you easily do 8 at a time?

is the jml oven the one that costs between £30-£50 depending on where you get it?

if doing a single mug im going to assume its a lot easier and quicker to use a single mug press.

so do people have both a mug press and an oven? then use the mug press for doing a single one or two, and use the oven when doing a number of mugs?

which cactus wraps are the best for quickly attaching/removing, quality and price?

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a single mug press, it takes approx 3 minutes to do a mug, with an oven, it takes approx 18 minutes to do 4 mugs. I've got a halogen oven and I can get 4 mugs in at a time, but I don't use it for pressing mugs as I don't have any wraps for it. Tried it without and ended up with scorch marks from the paper and the heat tape, even tried my fan oven in the kitchen and got the same scorching :(

As far as I know, all mug wraps are time consuming as you need to tighten them with a screwdriver, and use oven gloves to remove them, which to me, is too time consuming in itself.

Hopefully someone who uses an oven will be able to give you more advice

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I used to run 2 mug ovens, 1 sourced through Subli Nation and a pretty much identical model bought through JML. Used them alongside a standard press for some time and my conclusion was that the ovens were more time consuming. The wraps are fiddly and have to be handled with thick gloves on, you need 8 wraps to get the best out of an oven...4 cooking, 4 prepared to go straight in. I had to use blank paper in between the blanket and the printed transfer to avoid ghosting.

I run with a single head press now. if I was doing the sort of orders I did back then I'd use either a twin head press (Xpres do a good one) or 2 seperate presses. You could also use a 5 head press, not expensive if you want to have a go at importing....none of us have ben brave enough to try one yet though!

Price up an oven and 8 wraps and then start to look at the price of a decent mug press.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mug oven for subli nation and have 12 wraps, yes it time consuming but i used it when I need consistency, (a run of say 50 mugs of the same design ) for individual mugs or small different designs I used the press. I love the mug oven and the press I think both take time I always put a sheet of paper between all mugs to say the ink going on the press or the wraps, so for me time difference is small. So for me I need both and like both for different reason

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both.

As my mug press gets older, it's difficult to get a good print anywhere near the handles. It's okay for designs that sit in the middle of the mug, but not for photos.

The mug oven gives a consistent print all around the mug at all times.

I print different sizes of mugs from thinner china mugs to larger steins. Only bog-standard 80mm dia. mugs fit in the mug press, but the mug oven treats everything the same.

Ideally, for a large run, I'd prefer to use the mug press simply because there's no messing about with clamps but, in practice, that only works with designs suited to a smaller print area (because of the aforementioned ageing press that I have). I recently did 100 china mugs, and that wouldn't have worked well in a mug press - but the mug oven gave nicely consistent results from start to finish.

I'd say get both. If nothing else, one acts as the other's backup. The mug oven costs just £50 plus wraps, so it's no great expense to have one as well as a mug oven.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JSR,

A question, I presume that you use mug wraps for printing china mugs in your oven? If so what ones do you use? I only use an oven (not the conventional type) and have never found a way to do them successfully. I would be very interested to know how you get round this!

For any readers contemplating an oven for printing larger runs I would highly recommend looking into buying a "household convection oven". I have been using them since I started in 2002 and have never owned a mug press simply because you cannot print close enough to the handle for my liking. I did "trial" on one of these glass ovens (like JML) but to be honest the results were poor (maybe I was doing something wrong). In my oven I print 9 at a time using cactus wraps (not nearly as fiddly as people imagine) a box of 36 takes approx 2hrs, I regularly print between 2-7 boxes this way no problem.

Kevin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All depends on your budget as to what you should get. You can get volume through both methods and also different sizes and styles as well. Oven is probably the cheapest method to start off but most of the cost coming from the clamps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    Hi JSR,

A question, I presume that you use mug wraps for printing china mugs in your oven? If so what ones do you use? I only use an oven (not the conventional type) and have never found a way to do them successfully. I would be very interested to know how you get round this!
    I use these wraps: http://www.sublisupplies.com/mug-mac...2/prod_20.html, padded out with 5mm silicon rubber (http://www.listawoodtradesupplies.co...=37&product=49, cut down to fit the mug wrap), and a piece of 1.6mm silicon rubber (http://www.listawoodtradesupplies.co...=37&product=48, cut down to allow the lip of the mug to sit inside the - now padded - wrap). The 1.6mm silicon rubber is also available from BMS (but not the 5mm version), but it's much cheaper from Listawood.

You can use these: http://www.sublisupplies.com/mug-mac...0/prod_21.html, although they're hard to come by now (which probably explains the ludicrously high price being charged by SubliSupplies). I have one but, really, I've found using the larger wraps with padding to be easier and less prone to problems.

I was actually going to buy one of these mugs presses: http://www.printerowners.co.uk/press...-mug-press.htm because of the large order I've been printing, but BMS have been out of stock so that didn't happen and I can't see another large order coming so it's not going to be a priority now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JSR,

Thank you for the info regarding china mugs. It sounds a bit fiddly to me especially if you are printing larger quantities, interesting approach though.

Regards
    Kevin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    Hi JSR,

Thank you for the info regarding china mugs. It sounds a bit fiddly to me especially if you are printing larger quantities, interesting approach though.

Regards
    Kevin.
    It's more time-consuming than fiddly but, for doing the occasional mug, it's cheaper than buying a dedicated press.

My 100 order went up to 150 spread over a couple of weeks and, ideally, you'd want a mug press for that. I would have bought the BMS one if it had been in stock but, now that the order is done, I'll stick with what I have because I doubt that I'll have such a large order again.