Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. 100% polyester vs sublimation t shirt
    By shabby geek in forum Clothing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-12-2020, 02:23 PM
  2. Canvas printing needed - 2 x 40x40" needed.
    By tlworkwear in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19-01-2014, 04:43 PM
  3. Sublimation on polyester
    By derekwolves in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-03-2012, 08:57 PM
  4. Printing red polyester
    By proprints in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-12-2011, 12:22 AM
  5. Aprons Needed Desperately! 100 % Polyester Adult Size
    By robotechnics in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help needed for sublimation printing on Polyester

Hi guys and gals,

I'm really in a bit of pickle in regards to sublimation printing and putting together some sports shirts.

I'm in the process of starting up my own bespoke sports shirts (fully sublimated) business/brand.

I've got everything in place - manufacturer, fabrics, graded patterns, designs and a sublimation company all here in the U.K.

The only hurdle is printing and I'm a bit stuck. The company I've spoken to want me to send the digital patterns with the design to them to print directly onto each meter squared of polyester.

They are then going to send the fabric back to me for my manufacturer to cut out the panels and sew together.

The problem is, every example of sublimation printing of shirts which I've seen either on youtube or in writing has stated or shown that you need to cut the fabric first and then transfer each panel individually. The process the company I'm using will be using transfer sublimation but they will be transferring all the products directly onto the fabric for me to cut out later.

What I want to know is this the incorrect way of going about it? If so why?

Unfortunately the companies I've spoken to here in the U.K wont cut panels individually and transfer panel by panel as it's to time consuming. Instead they will only transfer all panels in one swoop onto each metre squared of poly.

Assuming all my digital patterns are the right dimensions for each size, will there be any issues when being cut and sewn together?

I'm sorry if this is a silly question but I'm having second thoughts before I pursue with the project as from what I've seen is most companies will cut the polyester first and individually transfer the panels.

Before anyone asks they are not printing directly onto the fabric but they are mass transferring via dye sub on to the roll of fabric I provide.

So basically to sum it up, is it a real necessity for the panels to be cut before sublimation?

Any help or even anyone on here who has a company who might be interested in some work then I'd be happy to talk.

Regards

Bronze

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't see why it makes any difference whether the material is cut before or after - why would it?. The transfer process won't be any different, nor will the image be any different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bms View Post
    Can't see why it makes any difference whether the material is cut before or after - why would it?. The transfer process won't be any different, nor will the image be any different.
    This is exactly what i thought but whilst I was getting quotes one guy mentioned that printing this way can distort the size of the panels as apparently the press stretches the fabric? If this is true, I don't know? The annoying thing is now I'm full of doubt.

Another reason why I'm doubting the process is because all over companies I've seen who make shirts cut the panels first. Surely to save time they'd print it all in one go but they don't. So this makes me think there's some truth in the story.

Anyway i shall be getting a sample made up soon and only time will tell.

Anymore feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Last edited by Bronze; 09-02-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: poor grammar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was more standard to print and cut after on normal runs. Can't see the problem but don't know a huge amount on this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a meeting with a sport kit provider who was going to utilize the spare bits on the pattern to print bits for me in between. He did lits for rugby and football which were printed on roll then cut. This was outsourced to Poland as it was cheaper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrew, when you say normal runs do you mean smaller runs?

Thinking it about it I think they only pre cut beforehand for larger quantities?

Here's a company who print cycling vests but in two different ways, the latter being the proposed route I was going to go down.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GOGOPRES.../0/s2oTwxnpiyQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/GOGOPRES.../2/hgvQT4YYdmY

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask what you were printing Andrew?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was small runs with the person I spoke to. Might be 20 tops or so. I was looking at printing mini replica kits that hand in cars.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    It was small runs with the person I spoke to. Might be 20 tops or so. I was looking at printing mini replica kits that hand in cars.
    Oh right, I was just wondering if you've come across any issues doing it this way but I'm sure you wont notice with little kits

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think as long as you had a decent printer doing the job they should know the issues to overcome. They probably know how to work with the material and not pull it out of shape whilst working with it. Can you not sample a couple of items first?