Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. For Sale Pneumatic Press, VJ628 Printer, HPC LS3060 Laser Cutter, Atkins Flat Press
    By theTbird in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-03-2024, 12:55 PM
  2. For Sale FS: SG500 / Clamshell Heat Press and Mug Press + paper and starter bits
    By Red5 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-07-2022, 05:12 PM
  3. Sold Heat Press, Mug Press, Cap Press, Small Press, Tshirts,LOCAL PICK UP ONLY DUNFERMLINE
    By Tricia in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-07-2020, 10:31 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2020, 08:54 AM
  5. For Sale SENKO CAP PRESS plus plate press and newstar 40 vinyl plotter cutter
    By letsgo in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-10-2012, 11:07 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a new press.

So my sublimation journey is going slower than expected and all my trials are bad or worse. It turns out the the press i got, doesn't close properly(evenly) and the image was not transferring evenly.
    So in stead of rushing in and just buying another one or the next best deal, i thought i would get other peoples opinion. All i will be sublimating is photos/pictures on to slate for now.

So what is best? swing away, clam shell or automatic? My price ranges is anything less than a £1000, but if everyone is suggesting the same one just over that price mark, i am happy in invest. Any recommendations appreciated. Is one with a pressure sensor worth it, or an expensive gimic?

Thanks in advance

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Nessie and welcome.

Im in the same boat almost, I have a swing away beginners heat press and know I am going to have to get one thats capable of more robust use. Looking at you tube vids, a clam style with a automatic opener and a bed that rolls out from the heated platten sounds a good idea. Some apparently come with exchangeable bottom plattens to swap between say a t shirt and a cap press (for example). From research on here, I thinka pressmech is the way I will go but hopefully one of the reulars with far more experience than I will jump in and expalin wahst what.

Good Luck.
    tony
    regards
    Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-long gone, sadly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- currently dormant, explanaition in linkedin profile

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So personally I would always say a swing away is the way forward for smaller jobs. You dont need automatic opening its a bit pointless as your going to be next to it when the timing is up as you will want to re-load potentially any way. Unless you are doing 100's of t shirt and other items interchangeable platterns seems pointless to me, I do t-shirts, metal prints, mdf and glass coasters etc all in the same machine. Mugs go in the oven.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcwizme View Post
    So personally I would always say a swing away is the way forward for smaller jobs. You dont need automatic opening its a bit pointless as your going to be next to it when the timing is up as you will want to re-load potentially any way. Unless you are doing 100's of t shirt and other items interchangeable platterns seems pointless to me, I do t-shirts, metal prints, mdf and glass coasters etc all in the same machine. Mugs go in the oven.

You don't say what machine, would you mind sharing the detail so I can check out prices please?
    regards
    Tony

-long gone, sadly.

- currently dormant, explanaition in linkedin profile

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning. Yes, what I have been reading online also suggest a swing away. Then you watch loads of videos online like I have, and most people are using a clam shell. I will be happy as long as the press gives me a nice even spread and consistent pressure. Can anyone share their experiences with a reliable brand and press? I am happy to research any suggestion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Pressmech by far the best press we've ever had. Sometimes you can get them second hand, there was one for sale recently, I'll see if I can still find it. Otherwise I'd look for an older Adkins. The older machines are beige colour top and bottom, newer machines are grey on the platen.
    The beige ones were built in UK. Later models were assembled here bit sources from China. They're still ok but not as good as earlier models.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any gimmicks, better to spend the money on a good quality reliable press.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

pw66 (4 Weeks Ago)

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are only going to do slates then I would opt for a vacuum press.

with a vacuum press you get a far superior finish as you are able to print on the white "rough" edges that a flat press can not do. Trust me, once you have seen this you will realise how much better they look.

However, vacuum presses are not made that well. When I got mine I rewired it and generally just made it a better. Machine is probably 10 years old now and still works a treat. THey retail at around £500-600 new (from Signzworld) and its probably worth getting new unless you are confident on rewiring etc.

If you do go down this route, make sure you get at least one spare membrane from China ASAP, they do split from time to time and no one in the UK stocks them.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to socialgiraffe For This Useful Post:

wendyh (3 Weeks Ago)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the pointers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the advice i was looking for! I didn't know much about these presses but after doing some research and watching numerous videos on slate, i think this is exactly what i am looking for. Thanks social.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus one for Pressmech.
    The 40x50cm press is available (unbranded) from Nova Chrome for slightly more than your budget or they are pretty much bullet proof if bought used. More importantly they can be refurbished if needed.

Very versatile press suitable for garments and thick flat stock.