Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Not sure of best decorating method
    By Quinsfan in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2014, 02:26 PM
  2. printing methods for band tshirts?
    By soulclaimed in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-09-2012, 02:38 AM
  3. Offline methods of selling?
    By totallypersonal in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 21-12-2011, 06:07 AM
  4. Is VAT chargable for decorating only on childrens tops?
    By logobear in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-04-2011, 08:05 PM
  5. latte mugs & bone china mugs
    By hakuna in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other methods of decorating mugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    Now I did read somewhere that you could spray over the transfers after baking with Clear Acrylic Laquer but i'm affraid that if I wanted to ponce around like this I would have choosen a different career path :D
    When I did a couple of water-slide decal mugs way back in the beginning, I got a spray can of acrylic lacquer (or whatever it was). The mug I sprayed does actually look quite good - the only naff-looking bit is my cack-handed spraying work which led to a couple of obvious drip marks.

That convinced me that, as you've discovered, poncing about like that isn't a whole lot of fun! :lol:

At the end of the day, yes sublimation can work out more expensive on a cost-breakdown but if the alternatives take longer then you have to weigh up how much your time is worth. I know when I've sublimated a mug, it's done, finished, nothing more to be done, no worries. That peace of mind is worth spending a few more pennies on it over alternatives like water-slide decals.

Water-slide decals are great for craft hobbyists who want to make a one-off mug for Great Aunt Maud's 76th Birthday, but as a career path? I don't think so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JSR, oh so true, all you do say!
    The mug I produced with water-Slide Transfer my 'Aunt Maud' wouldn't even put her teeth in with a sterident tablet :lol:
    I have got quite a few Asda 'Smartprice' mugs which I am going to print now with laser transfer. Mainly because I already own a Colour Laser Printer.
    But I will be investing in a Sumlimation set-up in the very near future!

Phil
    Life is like a jigsaw puzzle........i'm sure i'm missing some pieces!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

four for a pand guvnr.
    Dont bother going to emnersons green asda :D
    regards, tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dug the pack of papers out and see that they are
    TMT 6.0
    With a yellow A4R format sticker thereon.
    Is this any good?
    regards, tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Oki 5250 optimised for printing on plastic (number plate film) and as such it will also print on TMT substrates. Prior to delving into dye sublimation I tried a product from Crafty Computer Paper which was to decorate mugs. After about seven or eight mugs I gave the idea up as it was too faffy, and I did not get a decently enough decorated product to pass on never mind worth selling. As an engineer I believe in having the right tool for the right job. The Oki is used for printing on number plate film and water slide decals. The Ricoh is for dye sublimation printing, which took me 4 mugs to perfect my timings, and the HP1220 is for printing on standard paper.

As has already been mentioned here, dye sublimation printing gives a far more superior image and it is less faffy. Where one's own time is to be considered it takes less time to produce a dye subbed mug. For craft work and what I would consider less professional items, the gimmicky papers are ok.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, ive read all the pages, can someone help me out here, if i only want to make black lettering onto white mugs (either sub mugs or asda whichever would be right) - can i use my laser printer with standard cartridge in it (its only a black printer) and what paper would i use.
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Hi mrs maggot! I can not help ypou much with it as I never done it my self but I think you can find all info HERE

Paul

<-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers paul i use them already

all i was trying to do was get a round up from all of the infor in these 5 pages, to see if what i already have is ok - as mik is using, i think or not, the problem sometimes with a really long set of replies, is the devil in the detail gets lost, hence me putting together what i want to do, to see if it corresponds with any of the experience that the others have had

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote: Its quite straightforward really. I use magic touch CPM 6.1 paper in the printer to make the transfer. I then press it on the mug using a magic touch mug press and clamps altho you could use an oven if you only have the clamps. In the machine it takes 6 mins in an oven about 15-20 mins.
    after the picture is on the mug, i just put it in the oven at gas mark 7 for 30 mins without the clamp, to glaze the image on.
    job done.

As above - Quote taken from market mik - 3rd page of this thread. Yes you can use standard laser printer but it has to be printed onto CPM 6.1 paper, pressed with heat press then pressed again with no paper on.

Cheers John

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks john, i did not know if he was using a special toner in the laser copier or not, i will get some from CPM paper and give it a whirl