Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Direct to Garment Printing - I've gone and done it!
    By Stitch Up in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 20-03-2017, 08:08 PM
  2. Direct to garment printing
    By derek in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2014, 01:41 PM
  3. For Sale complete garment printing and sublimation kit for sale, press, stock, printers
    By ptholt in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-07-2013, 12:04 AM
  4. Is Direct to Garment printing getting rid of transfer printing?
    By Pascale in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-04-2013, 07:00 PM
  5. B1100 is gonna go for a short flight!!
    By busybusybee in forum Printers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 16-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna give garment printing a go, but what process to use??? Any advice welcomed!

Hi all

I'm gonna have a go at garment printing, but want to move away from the sublimation white t-shirts.

At this stage, vinyl cutters and all of that kind of thing don't really appeal. I want something quick and easy to be able to print mult-colour photos and images onto light and dark t-shirts and possibly canvas bags, hoodies etc etc.

Have been looking at all of the types of transfer paper (TMT, Yolo etc) around, but wanted to pick people's brains with the big question... "Which is better? Inkjet ot Laser?"

I'd like to know how the finished garment feels (I don't want anything which feels rubbery).

Also, how well do they wash? Again, is there any negatives/positives using inkjet vs laser? And are they "iron-able"?

Does the transferred image crack when the garment is folded?

I've ordered Inkjet and Laser sample pack from Yolo (I particularly like the sound of their Image Clip papers) so can experiment a little, but wanted some "experts" views first!

If I go with inkjet, I have an Epson SX200 which will take the DuraBrite ink, but I run it with cheap compatible inks - is this still suitable? Do I need to use Pigment or Dye ink??

Finally (more of a heatpress question really) - would a clam shell heatpress like this be suitable for BOTH garment printing AND sublimation printing (mousemats, jigsaws etc etc.) http://www.coralgraph.com/index.php?...roducts_id=129 or would a swing-away press be better?

Many many thanks in advance for any assistance!

Barry
    Last edited by barryslip; 24-03-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added extra question

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a whole load of Image Klip paper upstairs, cost me over £150 and it's a blooming nightmare :(

You're press needs to be spot on heat wise, and if you're as much as a second or two out when fusing it, it doesn't work, by that I mean the papers don't seperate easily and you lose about half of the image.

I wouldn't have thought that cheap compatible inks would work aswell as branded inks.

As to your heat press, if you have the room, I'd go for a swing away, many a time have fingers been burnt on my clam shelll.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on getting some refill cartridges and some of the pigment ink from Coralgraph when the ones I have fitted in my older D92 run out. Tried some compatables and am sure they are just dye based (nearly gave the poor bloke palpitations when I ask did he know if the inks were dye or pigment, he thought I was after a refund ) Have a look on their site, they may have a ciss or refil carts for your printer.

draig

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks draig

Just edited my original post and added the question "which type of ink should I use - Pigment or Dye" !!??

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ink you use determines what paper you can use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do some colour printing with ink for some customers using paper from Dorotape - my local supplier, they was ok, but will always have that thicker feeling. i used some cheaper paper before, and it was truely terrible, i have - as posted before when this same topic came up - a hoodie which my hubby has had for over a year, only now is it starting to really show signs of age, it gets washed every week, and as a mechanic it gets pretty grubby.

have a good read though the forum, i know this topic was covered well before, might mean going on to page 2, or 3 but its here
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I've just been on EZtrans website, and they now say that the Neenah Image Klip paper can be used with any ink, might give it a try with subli inks at the weekend

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just been reading that too Kaz (on the Yolo site)!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry, when I got my papers last year, EZtrans were the only UK and European distributor of that paper.

What a difference a year makes.

And if memory serves me right, Yolo are a canadian based company, who look to have branched into the UK.

I got loads of advise before I bought from EZtrans

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Hmmm, I've just been on EZtrans website, and they now say that the Neenah Image Klip paper can be used with any ink, might give it a try with subli inks at the weekend
    Hi Kaz

Did you manage to try any of these over the weekend? Curious about the results! I'll be trying this weekend...

Barry