Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. New to sublimation confused re colours etc
    By liannef in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-06-2014, 04:02 PM
  2. Re:Epson SX130 colours not printing properly
    By gwsubs in forum Printers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-12-2013, 09:03 PM
  3. Think i may of chosen the wrong printer !! Advice please
    By PersonalizedGiftz in forum Printers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 02:40 PM
  4. Dull colours while printing solved!
    By Jennym in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29-03-2013, 12:28 PM
  5. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 24-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sublimation printer printing wrong colours

we are desperate for a solution to the problem my friend has.
    he bought a sublimation mug printing set up package second hand from ebay about 6 months ago and has now desided to start to use it.
    the problem he is having is that they grey colours are not grey. they come out a dark mucky brown colour.
    all the other colours are ok. its just the grey.
    he has an epson D120, with a continous ink flow system.
    the disk he was given with the printer for the set up of the printer, colour managment etc have been installed following the instructions given but still no joy.
    everything is set up on the computer as should be.
    he uses coreldraw 12 for the sublimation but he has tried corel paint shop pro x, microsoft office and other different image editing software to see if it was a software issue but they all have the same effect.
    we have tried to get in touch with the person he got it from to see if the ink is Rotech (as this is the cd he has) but the seller is no longer a registered seller and he is unsure of what ink he has used.

printer heads are all clean with no blockage.

Has anybody got any ideas what he can do as it is driving him made and he is on about selling the whole lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has he tried buying new ink and trying that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the continuos ink flow is full of ink so he was hoping to use the ink there first before replacing and he is still unsure if that will work as all the other colours come out spot on.
    if all colours came out wrong then i would say change all ink but it is just the grey he can not get

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    double profiling somehre there. uninstall everything and instal again. I am sure icc is not set correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everything has been unistalled and reinstalled.
    got a new ICC profile for different ink.
    going to install that and do a print off and see what happens

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    what ink you got and what icc???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is the problem as we dont know what ink he has and the person that sold him the package isnt registered anymore.
    we have used Rotech D120_RGB_v1 which gave him the mucky brown colour.
    he has just installed the ArTainium_UV+_D120_RGB_v2.5 and has just done a test and the grey is more a mucky green.
    we are guessing it is neither of these inks.
    somebody said it could be HTC ink from china but we cant find a profile for that

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my view the issue boils down to one of two things...

Either the black ink supply / head is not working or the colour profiling is incorrect - This could indeed be down to double profiling.

Ideally ICC profiles are tailored not just to the ink, but to the particular printer and the substrate... I have an epson 1290 for instance that is set up primarily for producing exhibition-standard photographs on Ilford Galerie paper using Lyson inks... Running a different paper through it produces VERY different results and we have developed a set of 'correction parameters' to deal with canvas; which again is of a particular manufacture... A second machine using a monochrome ink set deals with Black and White work...

One possible technique to deal with a gross colour cast is to use Maxwell's Triangle as a 'map' to helping you decide which way to adjust the CMY elements in your printer's 'settings' so as to pull the 'grey' to more of a neutral shade...

http://photographybasicsonline.com/c...d/maxwell.html

You'll see that Cyan opposes Red, Magenta opposes Green and Yellow opposes Blue on the triangle...

This is primarily a description of ADDITIVE colour space where the centre tends to white... You can just as 'validly' (is that even a word?) place CMY at the corners of the triangle, have RGB on the opposite points and draw it as tending to black...

Now... To use Maxwell's triangle you look at the colour cast you have... Brown would be probably in the orangy-yellow direction if it were a brighter shade. So, increasing Cyan slightly and decreasing Yellow should pull it more neutral, possibly with either a Green or Magenta cast... Which you can adjust by altering the Magenta levels...

Of course this is no substitute for having a proper profile made; and there are people who provide this sort of service... I understand (through talking to others) the process is likely to be rendered all the more complex by the fact that the true final colours cannot be judged until the ink is transferred to a sublimatable surface...

The added complication here is that you don't know the source of the ink! - So when that lot runs out you might well need a new profile for whatever reliable source you DO use! And of course before using a new inkset you'd ideally flush out the remains of the old stuff before having that new profile installed!

And will all THAT said I'd still first be questioning the perfomance of the black cartidge/ink... Black exists in the CMYK system BECAUSE whilst CMY theoretically mixes to give black, no dyestuf is perfect and what works in theory doesn't work in practice!

...And it's at this point this broadcast technician, more expert at working in additive colour mixing, calls for help from a printer!

Maxwell's Triangle will possibly help you make gross adjustments... And perhaps allow the 'old' ink to be used up productively. But I think ultimately custom profiling the particular set up is necessary - particularly if you're hoping to print photo-realistic work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have check the ink and the printer has no nissed parts when he does a nozzle check.
    i have deleted all the profiles that i can find and re installed them all.
    using the Maxwells triangle is good i you are doing a fresh print, but because i have an image sent to me i cant use it.
    i have adjusted the colours in the print set up so we have more ink or less ink but to no avail.
    using the ArTainium_UV+_D120_RGB_v2.5 has changed the muckey brown that should be grey to a green hint of grey.
    just installed D120_RGB_v2 but this is still just as bad.
    i have found some one that has got the ink from china (HTC i think it is) and we are going to use this when we find a profile

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly baffled by your response...

IS this a general issue with the system or are you simply having trouble printing a particular image?

It's also worth mentioning that you should be making quite small adjustments, printing, pressing, assessing... Quite a time-consuming and relatively expensive business really. Can't help thinking a commercial profiling service would be quicker, easier and cheaper.

An ICC profile is better than correcting gross colour casts via the printer's control software as it provides a tailored response for each colour over a range of luminances; but essentially it's doing a very similar job to simply altering the gross proportions... The fact that the ArTainium profile shifted the cast in the predicted direction is somewhat indicative of something!

You might want to have a look here; see if this hints at something you might make use of. Otherwise all I can usefully suggest is have a custom profile made.

http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_3.html
    Last edited by Matt Quinn; 02-05-2011 at 02:51 PM.