Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 01:25 PM
  2. Garment Flex/Vinyl onto Felt?
    By AdamB in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-11-2011, 01:08 PM
  3. carbon fiber garment vinyl
    By jonmiller in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-11-2010, 07:53 PM
  4. applying vinyl with an iron?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-10-2010, 05:14 PM
  5. Flag Vinyl?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-08-2010, 06:10 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garment Vinyl with an iron? (need to make a flag!)

Hi all,

I was asked if I could put a passage (about 4 sentences) onto the back of a flag that has been made by an organisation. They want two colour vinyl which is not a problem but the flag is about 6-8 foot wide! This and the flag is in two layers and the 'front' has some stitching and stuff on it so I can't press it flat but need to get the press 'between' the two layers so I can get a flat press.

I have been racking my brains of the best way to go about this as I need to make sure everything is lined up and straight before pressing etc.

The first thing I thought of was lots and lots of heat tape - but you only need one piece to slip and then it's a nightmare!

Then I thought, does garment vinyl apply with an iron - if so I could have the flag laid on the floor with something between the layers to give me a flat surface. I would then get all the words lined up and iron them on - once they have tacked I can then press them for the extra bond - the second layer is easier as this goes over the first layer giving an outline.

So, my question is - has anyone used an iron for garment vinyl? (I'm using Hotflex from MDP).

:-)
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!
    (contact Admin for more details)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes is the answer.

I used an iron for a banner, followed up by a heat press and worked fine. You have to be careful as it's easy to get wrong temp etc. In the early days when I was applying a small vinyl logo to my own products I used to do it with a small travel iron with success.

Not ideal but it works ok.

Dj

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would print it on a peice of material for them that they could then sew onto the back of the flag - that way there is absolutly no risk of anything they have made getting spoilt.
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.