Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. B grade cameo @ £200
    By malfunction in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 04:12 PM
  2. Carrying sub stock
    By Dave271069 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 09:55 AM
  3. Heat press damaged
    By twinsgran in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26-11-2012, 07:26 PM
  4. Stock Take :)
    By Stitch Up in forum Clothing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-05-2011, 06:31 PM
  5. Damaged Blanks
    By bms in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B Grade / Damaged Stock

As a quick question.....do you guys ever sell any slightly damaged stock - for example something you chip, or maybe a small print error etc etc

If so, on your websites, how do you position it - what do you call it? Do you usually mark em up around 50% lower (hehe, here's that 50% again!) ...

And finally, is there, or should there be a section for marketing/advertising ?

Cheers!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never sell anything damaged.

Due to having high quality standards, we invariably have higher standards than our suppliers. As a result, we do end up with blanks that we wouldn't feel comfortable selling at full price. As there have been so many shoddy blanks making their way through suppliers (I sometimes think that we in the UK only ever get C-grade blanks), we have started a "b-grade" section on our website in which we highlight the fault, price down at 50%, and state that no returns will be accepted for aesthetic faults (even in the printing).

No one's bought any b-grade products from our website.

We also have a clearance section for end-of-line or oddball products that are just taking up space. We tend to discount these by 25%. We haven't sold any clearance products either.

So my advice is - don't be too keen to pass shabby work onto your customers.

When doing a personalised job for a customer, we may send a below-par printed product to them in addition to one that isn't below-par (as a freebie) on the grounds that we have enough scrap in our bins already, but that depends largely on how much it'd add to postage costs. Almost always this generates positive feedback (because they have one to give away as originally intended, and the below-par one they can keep themselves). But we don't send out anything that's chipped or otherwise damaged. That way lies business suicide.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice :-) so basically, a bit of dodgy printing or a small mark may be okay, but anything chipped - forget it ;-) I just wasnt sure if there was a small market for these things - but it seems not really ;-) I only have one at the moment and I thought hmmm wonder if I should sell it reduced or not....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a section for marketing isnt there ??

if you head up a section as the OOOOPPPPPs department you might get away with "cosmetic seconds" but to make it viable, i would probably put them if mugs for instance into 4's and then sell them as cosmetic seconds, you will have to state that returns are not accepted - every year people queue in their hundreds to get some 2nd from the John Lewis china department, but i would clearly mark them as seconds ont eh advert and also by way of a label on the product, but chipped i would not bother with, bin is the place for those
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put them together with a sign, Badly Made Mugs 50p. They all go. What's weird the customer look to see what wrong and can't see it. 50p is better than nothing. Putting seconds hasn't work for me, but every one wants to see what the badly made mugs look like.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice, thank you..... I especially like the "Oooppppps" bit Laura - Im sure it will attract people when they land on the site - I might try it, and monitor the page impressions - bet it gets more then the others........oh wait, is that a good thing???!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jennywren View Post
    I put them together with a sign, Badly Made Mugs 50p.
    Are these printed mugs or just the blanks?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Are these printed mugs or just the blanks?
    No not the blanks, I use them to make badly made mugs lol. All the mugs that I've cocked up ,Upside down mugs , back to front mugs anything, faded.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually, an upside down mug could be a novelty purchase :-) might try that one!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPM View Post
    actually, an upside down mug could be a novelty purchase :-) might try that one!
    realy? :)
    imagin mug with hot tee and somone thinks is up side down and try to quick flip it over... ;)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG