Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. (Oh stupid me) Help please
    By jennywren in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-04-2015, 04:22 PM
  2. Probably a stupid question about cheap ink
    By ArtyGamer in forum Printers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-06-2014, 03:32 PM
  3. Possible stupid question :)
    By michc in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25-04-2014, 01:11 AM
  4. Another beginners question or im just stupid.
    By Dave271069 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-05-2012, 10:11 PM
  5. Sublimagic Do they ever answer the phone?
    By SimonF in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid question - but one to which I do not know the answer!

Hi Everyone,

I have a question. When printing onto sublimation paper for mugs, to you print the image reverse? - now I know that sounds kinda obvious, but I wasn't sure whether sub paper was super thin therefore allowing the inks to penetrate! Anyway, would just like confirmation so that I can correct all of my designs if necessary before my mug press arrives.

thanks in advance.

Also, if anyone can offer start to finish advice on printing mugs, it would be most appreciated - like all of the newbie mistakes - which I would rather much like to bypass as I don't have the money to go wasting mugs or ink!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a cracking post as i think we forget we were all newbies once
    first answer yes you must print in reverse the paper goes on the mug with the ink side to the surface of the mug.

Not sure what you want in the way of advice but will give you the benifit of my experiance and hopefully other forum members will add to it.

1. customer is king without them theres no business.
    2.Buying cheap does not work simple quality suffers you end up spending your profits on new stuff and customer confidence suffer
    3.your choice of inks and paper make huge differences always use quality ink and paper
    4.dont fall into the trap of thinking harley davidson arnt going to bother a small business like me for using their logo. They will i have the letter from their legal dept to prove it this goes for all copyright dont abuse it you will get caught.
    5. use this forum as much as you can the advice on here is worth thousands and its given by those who have done it seen it printed the t shirt an worn it .
    Good luck and remember there are no stupid questions just questions
    Brett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No question is stupid, if you don't know the answer, please ask.

Print in mirror. You shouldn't need to alter your designs in anyway as most (I think) printers allow you to print in MIRROR. Incidentally, when you print to sub paper, the image will likey look horrible, this is usual :)

It is easy when things are going okay Robert. My first entry into DyeSub was with the Ricoh GX 7000 & Sawgrass gel inks. Hardly any setup time and works right out of the box - no clogged heads to worry about either.

Prior to DyeSub we did (and still do) laser mugs, probably a few 1000.
    Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just one point to add. If you're printing glass items such as glass coasters, glass placemats, glass worktop savers, or glass clocks, then you *don't* reverse the image. These items have a receptive white coating on the underside. You print in the normal non-mirrored fashion and the ink penetrates the white coating so that when you look "through" the glass you'll see it as it would look on the paper.

And to confuse things, you *do* reverse the image for glass mugs, glass whiskey glasses, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, if anyone can offer start to finish advice on printing mugs
    i think the process, in simple steps would be good to have on here, i know there are some dunkers and some non dunkers. still not pressed any yet so i cannot offer any help - but i like you would like a simple step guide - i know it will vary a little machine by machine

I think Bretts points are great as general business points - and yes i have decided a couple of times the customer may be king but it does not always stop him being a cock - said in James May style
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrs maggot
    the customer may be king but it does not always stop him being a cock - said in James May style

Never a truer word said :lol: :lol: :lol:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for the comments. Coincidentally, my Mug press has just arrived. And, first point I noted was that it's not identical to the one in the picture!
    Secondly, I notice that when the lever is in the open position, the wrap does look a little twisted - will this correct itself under pressure?!
    Also, I notice 2 small dimples on the mat - I assume that this will result in 2 not printed dots on the mug? Should I return it, or for £70 am I better off just investing in a new wrap??

I made sure that I bought Artinium inks and good paper, but I thought I could get away with a cheap press :(

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by purpledragon
    4.dont fall into the trap of thinking harley davidson arnt going to bother a small business like me for using their logo. They will i have the letter from their legal dept to prove it this goes for all copyright dont abuse it you will get caught.
    What do you mean by "don't abuse it". I actually had this discussion with my wife, as I was indeed planning on doing some cartoon characters mugs - having seen many others printing them, I assumed that these companies weren't bothered. What images can be used - for example, if I take a pic of a celebrity or Laurel and Hardy for example, is it likely that I will get sued? Is it just big brand companies I should steer away from?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who owns the picture you will be using, is more to the point - its really not that easy - put beckham / jade goodey / esther rantzen / gordon brown on a mug and see how long a solicitors letter takes - ive tried to take one person from every walk of life (and death lol)

if david beckam walks past you and you take a picture of him - you may own the photo but you do not own the right to use your picture of him to promote your goods
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrs maggot
    = if david beckam walks past you and you take a picture of him - you may own the photo but you do not own the right to use your picture of him to promote your goods
    How does it work with a newspaper then - they take celeb photos and then use them to promote their product?