Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. new smashproof mug boxes and more...
    By Paul in forum Press Releases/Announcements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 03:59 AM
  2. Sold 200 Smashproof Mug Boxes
    By lemontdetroit84 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-02-2013, 10:31 PM
  3. mouse mat shipping
    By bigj2552 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 17-01-2013, 10:26 AM
  4. Drop shipping
    By jennywren in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
    Jonathan, the reason I sent this batch was because the courier I use doesn't like delivering to this address. It's one of those houses in the middle of nowhere but, RM never have a problem with it. However I do really make sure they are well protected. All other times I do use a courier but, as I said this address usually causes problems with couriers. The main thing is the customer is happy with this way & doesn't mind the cost at all.
    In your situation you had to be led by whoever could deliver your parcel. That makes sense.

All I'm trying to say is that the cut-off points are at 1Kg (above which you can't use 2nd Class) and 2Kg (above which courier is cheaper, and above which only Rockerfella can afford Special Delivery). If there's anyway whatsoever to keep your parcel below either of those two thresholds, you'll save a good amount of money on postage. That's when the 20g polystyrene boxes often win out over 80-100g smashproof boxes.

That's all it comes down to.

I have nothing against the smashproof boxes at all. I just believe that there's a place for both types - sadly, suppliers tend to sell one or the other, not both.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a different issue. Individual shipping boxes are designed for low-volume shipments. To most of us, the lowest sensible courier cost is £8.40 (inc VAT), which means only weights above 2Kg would make sense to go by courier. Everything else is Royal Mail - and that's where individual packaging comes into it. And, hence, the reason why the weight of that packaging is paramount - particularly if the weight of the boxes throws the price up by a significant amount (as it does if sending 3 or 6 mugs).
    What is a different issue? The point I was making is that it's false economy to sent multiples via Royal mail, when you take into consideration the faffing about getting parcels to the post office, your time to get there & then time stood in a queue (unless you're lucky enough to be located within walking distance of a nice quiet post office), fuel costs etc - if you're sending one mug, then I can understand - but 2 or more, and in my personal opinion - it's hardly worth it. Especially with the messing about that often comes after sending items through Royal Mail. You're entitled to your opinion, mine however is as I said, that it's not worth saving a small amount by messing around sending via Royal mail, especially if you're doing fairly reasonable volumes.

You're labouring under the false premise that anything except your smashproof box must lead to breakages. As I've not had any breakages when sending 10oz or China mugs in polystyrene boxes, it doesn't factor into the cost. Nor do I use any "outers". The only thing that factors into the cost is weight.

I understand that you have to justify the smashproof boxes over the polystyrene ones, because it's those that you sell, but it's wrong to give the impression that anything except your boxes will automatically lead to breakages.

The smashproof boxes used to be the best of both worlds when those 2-way ones were available (you could ship two 10oz mugs in the same box, thus mitigating the weight a little). Pity they aren't still available.
    I'm not labouring under any premise, I did not state that any shipping method other than our smashproof boxes will result in smashed mugs... However it does surprise me that you use royal mail and you have never had a single breakage using poly boxes, either you have been very lucky, or we had previously been very unlucky.

The double boxes were fine for anyone sending two in a box, but no good (due to the weight) for anyone sending a single mug.

No, we don't have to justify our boxes over the poly boxes, we could very easily supply the poly boxes also - the reason we do not is that our customers tell us that they love the smash proof boxes, and we have not had a single request for poly boxes. Just like with any other blank or consumable, if the demand is there we will stock it.

Thanks

Steve
    Last edited by subli; 31-10-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think there's much need in me repeating myself. All I know is that I save money on postage by using lighter individual shipping boxes. At the end of the day, those who pay the postage costs will determine which boxes to use.

However, I would just address this point:

Quote Originally Posted by subli View Post
    I did not state that any shipping method other than our smashproof boxes will result in smashed mugs...
    I'm sorry, but you clearly said -
    You would need to work out the cost of the poly boxes, and the outer (if you're sending with an outer) and the cost of breakages over a period of time, against the price of our smashproof mug shipping /gift boxes,
    By saying that the use of poly boxes requires us to account for breakages, you are clearly stating that poly boxes will result in breakages whereas your smashproof boxes won't.

If you're now retracting that statement, then the only factor is (i) the cost of the individual box, and (ii) the postage difference due to weight. And that's all I've been trying to say.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Well, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think there's much need in me repeating myself. All I know is that I save money on postage by using lighter individual shipping boxes. At the end of the day, those who pay the postage costs will determine which boxes to use.

However, I would just address this point:

I'm sorry, but you clearly said -

By saying that the use of poly boxes requires us to account for breakages, you are clearly stating that poly boxes will result in breakages whereas your smashproof boxes won't.

If you're now retracting that statement, then the only factor is (i) the cost of the individual box, and (ii) the postage difference due to weight. And that's all I've been trying to say.
    Hi Jonathan,

No, this is clearly not what I said....

I did not state that if you send mugs in poly boxes this WILL result in breakages, which is what you're stating.
    What I said is that you need to work out the cost of the poly boxes and the outer, if you're sending with an outer - and the cost of breakages over a period of time. That is assuming that you have had breakages with poly boxes over a period of time - if, as in your case, you haven't had any breakages, then of course you would not have to work that into the equation....... I would not expect someone to work into the calculation a cost for breakages if they were not previously experiencing any breakages.

Thanks

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think poly boxes are as strong as a decent double walled mug box either. I use very light ones and they are still solid and stronger than a poly box. Poly boxes are a pain in the arse imo and ease of use is far better for the box version.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never used smash proof boxes but i always use poly boxs, I tested the poly box to desruction much to my daughters delight we launched a mug numerous times from her bedroom window onto the concrete floor below the mug stayed intact. Ive used poly boxs more or less from the start and never had a breakage , im not saying the cardboad smash proof are any differnt as ive never used them but i dont see any reason to change now. As the saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used cardboard boxes, cannot see how you can stock the poly boxes as they would take up too much room.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you saw the size of the back of my shop you would see room is not an issue lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by subli View Post
    Hi Jonathan,

No, this is clearly not what I said....

I did not state that if you send mugs in poly boxes this WILL result in breakages, which is what you're stating.
    What I said is that you need to work out the cost of the poly boxes and the outer, if you're sending with an outer - and the cost of breakages over a period of time. That is assuming that you have had breakages with poly boxes over a period of time - if, as in your case, you haven't had any breakages, then of course you would not have to work that into the equation....... I would not expect someone to work into the calculation a cost for breakages if they were not previously experiencing any breakages.

Thanks

Steve
    You associated accounting for breakages with poly boxes, and not with smashproof boxes. If your intention was not to imply that breakages occur only with poly boxes then perhaps you could have been clearer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John G View Post
    I've always used cardboard boxes, cannot see how you can stock the poly boxes as they would take up too much room.
    When sending 100s of mugs individually packed to a customer, we use cardboard boxes too - but we use the 17p ones from BMS because they don't need to be strong enough to survive the postman's kick (the outer box does the protecting). If the customer doesn't require them to be individually packed, we don't use individual packing at all.

It's only when sending small quantities that strong individual shipping boxes are required - and, with small quantities, weight is paramount after protection if you don't want to pay high postage costs.

That's all I've been trying (but evidently failing) to say.