Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 20-01-2014, 10:33 AM
  2. Think i may of chosen the wrong printer !! Advice please
    By PersonalizedGiftz in forum Printers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
  3. Advice on my printer choices please
    By Daddyg in forum Printers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-08-2013, 09:56 PM
  4. advice on the right printer
    By iaing in forum Printers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 11:58 PM
  5. advice on printer
    By india in forum Printers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 16-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Thread: Printer advice

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Printer advice

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...n#ht_563wt_922

Hi would this be ok for a complete beginner? Can you tell me pro,s and cons.
    all advice appreciated !
    dave

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave271069 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...n#ht_563wt_922

Hi would this be ok for a complete beginner? Can you tell me pro,s and cons.
    all advice appreciated !
    dave
    You need to ask yourself what the ink is, where you would get more ink, and the cost of that ink. If you don't know this, then that "package" would be worse than buying a recommended printer, empty cartridges, and ink from a reliable source.

Having only enough ink for the cartridges is very little ink indeed. They'll be empty before you know it because Epson printers use thimble-size cartridges.

All you're buying is an entry-level printer and a few drops of ink. The important questions to ask are where you'll get more ink from, because ink works out more costly than the printer in the long-term.

More printer advice: http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum...-Which-Printer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input, ref the printer for sale it says refillable cartridges am I wrong in thinking that I fill with sublimation ink as I would any other printer, in that case I just buy ink from a repatable dealer .
    as I said I'm still learning..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the 'cons' will be support. Is there a profile supplied? What happens if it doesn't produce the colours that you expect? What about any warranty/ after sales? Some use the non-supported printers fine, and if you are inclined to trouble shoot, enjoy the challenge of do doing then fine. If, on the other hand you want supplier support and backup, tried and tested systems, then consider one if the supported printers from those suppliers on the forum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input, ref the printer for sale it says refillable cartridges am I wrong in thinking that I fill with sublimation ink as I would any other printer, in that case I just buy ink from a repatable dealer .
    as I said I'm still learning..
    Yes you could buy ink, but 4x 125ml of ink is going to set you back £200 +vat. Within a very short time you are going to spend that on top of the printer... and have 2 profiles made up. It's very unlikely the sublimation ink supplied is Sawgrass ink as that supplier wouldn't be allowed to sell it. Then you change inks and have to have a different profile made as that printer doesn't have one available from Sawgras.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replies. The rut I'm in is all this is completely new to me, and rather complex. I would like to see how I cope with minimal expense and then purchase more and better equipment as I learn.
    Is the any way I can get someone to send me some basic designs on printed paper so I can play around with my mug press while I decide and save up for a better printer like the Ricoh from bms.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replies. The rut I'm in is all this is completely new to me, and rather complex. I would like to see how I cope with minimal expense and then purchase more and better equipment as I learn.
    The problem is, Dave, is that this is what everyone says. If there was an "easy and cheap" way of doing it with minimal expense, minimal knowledge, but still produce the best results, then everyone would be printing their own mugs and no one would buy anything from you.

If you intend to go into this for the long haul, then you're better off doing it properly from the start. That means either "cheap and learn-as-you-go" or "expensive and be supported along the way". Read our "Which Printer?" FAQ beginner's background information on which printers are suitable and why, at: http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum...-Which-Printer

If you only intend to do a few items for someone, then you're probably better off out-sourcing to one of the many people who have already invested time, money, and hard work into it. Once you've built up your customer base and are selling lots of items, then you could invest your profits into equipment to do it yourself.

Is the any way I can get someone to send me some basic designs on printed paper so I can play around with my mug press while I decide and save up for a better printer like the Ricoh from bms.
    I'm sure there will be people who'll do this for you but, by doing it, you're not learning anything about the printer/inks/etc. The actual pressing is the simplest part of it. Getting the colours right is the most difficult part. And whoever sends you prints may use a printer/ink system that is different to the one you'll end up using.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks. All appreciated. Will have a think, as I defiantly want to do it long haul . And will just carry on reading forums etc for a short while

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks. All appreciated. Will have a think, as I defiantly want to do it long haul . And will just carry on reading forums etc for a short while
    The current consensus is that the "easiest" option is to go for the A4 Ricoh printer with supplied cartridges from an approved Sawgrass reseller. With that, you get the package, slot in the cartridges, install the PowerDriver, and that's it really. The Ricoh cartridges are larger than an Epson cartridge and so will give you plenty to start off with. Of course, the ink isn't cheap but it gives you a place to start.

A year or two down the road, once you've got all the basics under your belt, then you could start experimenting with alternative options that reduce your costs.

That's how I started. I began with the "approved" setup (at the time that was Epson printers with a CISS which cost something in the region of £500), and it wasn't until much later that I ventured down the path of trying things out for myself. Now I use a Brother printer with large cartridges, but it's not something I would recommend to a complete beginner - because you want to be printing stuff, and seeing good results immediately. You don't want to be pulling your hair out and panicking when something doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

The "approved" option gets you on-board with an approved supplier who will be there to answer any questions you have, and offer and advice that you need. You won't get that by buying cheap from day one. Browse the various suppliers websites and weigh up the pros and cons (not just the prices! ). Some suppliers may throw in some freebies (blanks, or transfer paper, or whatever) to sweeten the deal and make the impact on your wallet less severe.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Don't completely discount going the non official/non Sawgrass route, just because you buy from a supplier outside of their monopoly, doesn't mean that the supplier you buy from won't support you with help and advice, work through problems with you.