Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Lets see if we can sort this!
    By arko in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-04-2013, 09:31 PM
  2. Watches....well sort of!
    By Justin in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you sort out a argument about web domains

Sorry if I'm in the wrong section but need some advice on web domain name.
    the question I have is lets say I bought a web site off 123 reg or simular and I bought it for 2 years. Can you tell me what would happen in 2 years time if my site became a multi million pound organisation. Would 123 reg have to sell me the name again or could they end the sale and own my money making web address.
    I just had a argument with a mate over whether they can or can't.
    If so is there any other way to own a web name without buying it off a domain supplier.
    Hope this question makes sense and look forward to your replies.
    dave

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    As far as I'm aware you can just renew at the standard rate. I'm not sure whether a company can refuse to renew it for you. I've had a few over the years and had no problems.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's registered to you, you'll get the option to renew for a further 2 years usually about a month before it expires.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot of small print and my mate seems to think that your renting the name for two years and if they decide to put the price up to any thing they want then they can. But I'm on the same side as you . I said they couldn't. But when I think about it I'm not 100%

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The registered name on the Domain register can renew it about 6-8 weeks before the expirery date. But I forgot to renew one of mine (a forsite) I now use 3ix as I dont want that happening again, and got it renewed 12 weeks down the line. Never rely on the auto renew facility as it does go wrong at times.

Charlie

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they can just charge anything they have a set price for each domain section ie .me.uk or .com etc
    if they do try and bump the price up just ask for a release EPP code and u can change it to another domain supplier
    they can't refuse the release as you can get your domain thru any registra it doesn't have to be them.

I also think when you 1st signed up that in the agreement there was a pricing structure which says it will only go up with inflation but not 100% sure

there are some companies out there who entice you to get a domain for £1.99 for 2 yrs etc but when the re-newal comes up they charge a fortune or try to anyway.

I had a customer whom that happened to, he just contacted them and they had to release it and he transfered over to me :D
    and the transfer fee included 1 years registra as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping you and your customers safe, 240v & 110v

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used 3ix now for over 8 years, in that time I have never had a problem, their hosting starts at $1 a month for a single site, I have the top level where I can host unlimited domains, no band width restictions etc but that £96 a year. All my domain names are alkso with them .coms from memory are $9.95 a years registration, .co.uk $18.95 for 2 years. I would always recomend these people and they have UK based help and support 24/7.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Iam not sure if they can or cant put price up but if you site will end up as multimillion £££ worth then i dont think you would.mind to pay few more houdreds for domain :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys, will sleep better now knowing my domain name will always be under a tenner .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you are registered as the owner of the name with Nominet, who manage domain names in the UK. You only loose the right to use the name if you fail to renew within the set time. by the way, if you donn't renew, your registrar (such as 123 can charge virtually anything to renew. I failed to renew one of mine in time a few years ago and I was sent a bill for £85. I did eventually get it for the usual price but only after a lot of work (proving that I hadn't had the renewal from the registars. I also believe that any amount can be charged for a domain, but there are so many out there doing it now, that companies cannot get away with over charging.