Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Brand New Here
    By FrankieRudd in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-01-2015, 11:36 AM
  2. Hi all I'm Adam and brand new to this.
    By adamctid in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26-11-2014, 05:27 PM
  3. Liyu or UK brand
    By COMA in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
  4. the 'Best' brand of T's to stock .....
    By logobear in forum Clothing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-03-2013, 02:04 PM
  5. Brand Reversion - this is worth a look!
    By AdamB in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 02:08 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brand new newbie

Hello Everyone,

My name is Fridjon and I have decided to enter the exciting world of sublimation printing. My wife has a small gift-shop and would like to start creating some cool items. I am a software developer myself but I can see a lot of oppertunities in sublimation, which sounds both quite interesting and challenging.

I have lurked a bit around this forum and have found the information here extremely helpful. I have found a heat press that I think will suit me (one of those 8-in-1 machines) but I have almost quite definitely maybe decided which printer/ink to get.

I want to get an A3 capable printer and for me, the choice seems to be between either Epson B1100, Epson 1400 or a Ricoh GXe7700.

The GXe7700 is more expensive and the cartridges 3-4 times as expensive as same volume of Artanium inks for the Epson. On the plus side, it seems to be a lot less hassle than a CIFF like the EasyFlow system. I get the impression that clogging or other printer problems are much less likely using the Ricoh's.

The Epsons with the EasyFlow system are more wallet-friendly, both the printer and the inks. Being new to this, I want to stay within approved inks, Maybe in the future I will be bold enough to step outside the (saw)grass ;) If I understand correctly Sawgrass approved inks are the only options with Richo's but with a CIFF, anything is possible I guess.

I am a little unclear on what the difference between the B1100 and 1400, apart from the price tag and the 2 extra colors in the 1400. Do the extra colors make a lot of difference in quality in sublimation?

Also, is the difference between the (allegedly) hassle-free, cartridge based Ricoh's and a CIFF system like Artanium EasyFlow for the Epsons worth the price difference (both in printer and inks)?

Regards
    Fridjon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hi Fridjon, well, I'm probably the closest member to you

In short, the Ricohs have a better reputation than the Epson for not clogging etc. 6 colour is slightly better than 4 in the Epson but usually not that noticeable. B1100 is a fine enough printer but if you have the money and don't need A3 the 3300 looks great. 7700 is indeed very expensive and a big outlay if you're just starting.

CIS can be problematic, I (like many now) stick to refil carts and don't have any more problems.

Welcome in!

Justin
    DSF Admin
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Fridjon :)