Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. coasters cork backed
    By guarddog14 in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2015, 09:49 PM
  2. Sold Dye Sub Cork Coasters
    By WePrintForYou in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-11-2014, 11:26 AM
  3. Shaun In West Cork says hello
    By hsmbydesign in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-05-2012, 10:09 PM
  4. backing
    By jennywren in forum Embroidery
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-01-2011, 12:31 PM
  5. cork coasters
    By smitch6 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cork backing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cork backing?

I have just got some of the bms hardboard placemats and am keen to purchase adhesive cork backing...just to make them a more quality item to sell. Anyone suggest anywhere to purchase such a thing? It would need to be easy to cut if it came on a roll...?

Thanks in advance ;)

Charis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - owner and designer :) ...oh and mug presser!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would self adhesive cork floor tiles work? Can get them at B&Q (or occasionally at poundland!). Otherwise, I see it on amazon and ebay.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I have just got some of the bms hardboard placemats and am keen to purchase adhesive cork backing...just to make them a more quality item to sell. Anyone suggest anywhere to purchase such a thing? It would need to be easy to cut if it came on a roll...?

Thanks in advance ;)

Charis
    The cork backing is a little more difficult to source - would the green baize backing do or does it have to be cork? If you do go the cork route then a company would need to get a die made to cut the cork for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I bought some sheets/rolls of cork backing off eBay and had a play with cutting and adding to coasters/place mats. Not too difficult to achieve but does add extra minutes. I used corner cutters to get the corners perfect :-)
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Justin, I bought a roll off eBay. I haven't actually used it or tried to cut it yet because I'd bought it in advance of BMS doing the cork backing for coasters and then BMS did the cork backing for coasters...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justin, can I ask you what you mean by 'corner cutters'?

May go down this route - thanks for your reply and apologies for the delayed response...I forgot to log back on!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Bought them from a craft shop, not expensive, just used to round off the corners, similar to a hole puch
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How clever, never knew such a thing existed...but since asking you I'd ebayed it!

Do you cut many cork backings...have you got a 'dab hand' at it...or is it still a bit of a pain?

I used to sell 4.8mm deep melamine, cork backed placemats produced by a factory and customers loved them. The firm no longer supply on a 'one-off' basis for my personalised items so am trying to sort an alternative. But chunky, weighty and quality are what people say they want from me...to justify the cost - which is there mainly because of the design work.

I guess at £20 a placemat I could get used to the cork cutting?! Or will it always look naff?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I don'd do any tbh, just bought the stuff to have a go. I had a customer interested in place-mats but it never came off....I hate place-mats when they warp anyway!

If you're careful it's fairly easy to do a net and tidy job. I think I did mine a couple of small smaller than the mats/coasters and this looks really good :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh...is there also a lot of wastage due to warping...I haven't tried any yet...

Presumably one would get used to how they behave and find ways around it?