Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Dye Sub Clock
    By HeartlandsElliot in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM
  2. Wavey Hands on Springs - Where from?
    By Stitch Up in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-04-2013, 02:00 AM
  3. Clock Movements
    By Bob700 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-09-2012, 09:42 PM
  4. Hands like 'Bart Simpson' !
    By AdamB in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 06:05 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Clock Movements & Hands

Looking for a regular supply on movements. I know there are plenty on eBay etc. Movements aren't an issue it's the hands really. I want better quality than the thin/flimsy metal ones.

The better ones come with the glass clocks from BMS whereas the thin metal ones are supplied with the budget aluminium clock.

Also, does anyone ship clocks out? Just wondering what method you use to protect the hands in transit. I came up with a couple of ideas but wonder if there's anything better :-)
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I uswd those guys before www.clockparts.co.uk and service is perfect. Website not veryeasy to us but give them a go and i am sure you will be happy :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Funnily enough I just came from looking there, thank you anyway Paul :-) Good to know service is decent.

Prices are very good, did you get decent hands or were they very thin metal?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    My was thi as it was what i wanted. Woth to giv them.a.caal.and ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Started using the Clockparts movements, far better quality and have the sweep hand which is nice :-)

I mentioned in my first post about packaging, does anyone else ship these out to customers? I'm finding ways around it but as I'm posting more and more I really need a quicker solution. Book boxes etc. are fine but it's stopping the hands from getting bent/damaged.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    maybe something like this would help??
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-R...item3373425319

insert it under bits and they should survive the trip unbend.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Not a bad idea :-) I've been creating a collar to go around the hands to keep them from bending but ideally you need a piece of foam with a cut out section, don't want to spend hours making something so need to have a few ready all the time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a cut and paste from here:www.kensclockclinic.com
    Follow above first, then place a sheet of bubble wrap between the clock hands and the dial.
    • Place enough layers of bubble wrap between the dial/hands and the glass so that when the door is
    closed, the bubble wrap is VERY LIGHTLY compressed. This helps cushion vibration and prevents the
    glass from breaking.
    • Close and lock the door/glass.
    • Apply 3M blue masking tape
    For door/glass use cardboard piece perhaps?
    Also don't use styrofoam, this guy explains http://billsclockworks.com/repair/400Day.htm
    regards, tony

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    That's all good advice for a clock with a face, unfortunately these have no face/cover on them which is what causes the problem :-(

Bad enough trying to get the hands on so that they don't catch. Metal hands are so thin they bend too easily, swapped over to plastic hands and they arrive slightly warped, second hand catches on the way around! Trying to get some sturdier plastic hands within budget but not easy.

Back to packaging, I'm putting pieces of card in-between each hand fopr shipping before wrapping etc. but it's all a ball ache and I need a quick off the shelf solution. One of my suppliers is working on a box that clocks can be shipped in so this may be the way forward.