Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Magnetic mat
    By A11kns in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-09-2014, 04:57 PM
  2. Anyone got any magnetic dye sub sheet?
    By SciArtImages in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-11-2011, 11:32 PM
  3. FAO SarahJayne, ref magnetic sheets
    By AdamB in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-10-2011, 10:35 AM
  4. Magnetic sheet
    By SJL in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 11:08 PM
  5. Sublimation Magnetic Sheets
    By joconnell in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic signs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnetic signs

Hi all,
    recently I have been doing ok with plotting car signs. Quite basic, perhaps a logo and the phone number. Cheap and cheerful you might say.
    I have had a couple of requests for the magnetic version.
    I cannot for the life of me find a supplier that sells sublimation magnetic sheet for car doors.
    There is plenty of thin submag out there but it does not hold well enough to the door, I have tried it and it comes off too easy. It is only really any good for fridge magnets etc. It is far to thin i believe. Perhaps it is available but I havent found any.
    I did buy some thicker magnet that was specifically for this purpose. It was much thicker and stuck on well. But it was not sublimation.
    I plotted as usual and stuck the decal to the magnet and hey presto. Job done.
    BUT. I have people who want photos or complicated graphics on the sheet and this would need to be printed. I have asked around and i believe that when a magnet is heated up as in the sublimation process, the magnet loses power and is therefore not safe to use on car doors as they will blow off under stress. Is ths correct? Is it possible to purchase magnetic door signs that can be sublimated and remain safe? I have seen very artistic door panelss that are obvious prints, most taxi firms for instance. How is this achieved?
    Thanks
    TonyM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, I think you will find the thicker magnets you find on cars such as taxis will have been screen printed onto self adhesive vinyl & then applied to the magnets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian is right. All mag signs I have seen and the material for making them is for either vinyl graphics application (printed or cut) or can it be printed direct using eco slovent inks on machines such as a Versacamm. I have done a few using both methods.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depending on which Versacamm you have depends on if you can print magnetic material easily or not. The problem being that the roll off shelf is sometimes made of steel and sometimes made of ali. Fortunately mine is made of ali so I can print magnetic signs. However I suggest you find a supplier who prints them all the time as the print head needs to be manually raised to do it so it is not financially viable for me to do this. You can even kiss cut out to any shape if you need it to be.

You need at least 0.8mm (Ideally 1mm) for transport signs and the best supplier I have found is Magnetic Solutions, speak to a guy called Wayne there who is really helpful.

You can print onto adhesive (car vinyl wrap) and apply to a magnetic surface as Ian suggests, but as most solvents can print magnetic it is normally printed direct these days. Plus you remove the risk of the vinyl not adhering properly or air bubbles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies.
    So thats why I cant sublimation magnets for cars. I guess the info I got regarding the demagnitisation after heating is true then.
    Looks like for me it will have to be apply vinyl to a magnet.
    Pity as it would have been a goer if I could have got photos on the magnet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Thank you for the replies.
    So thats why I cant sublimation magnets for cars. I guess the info I got regarding the demagnitisation after heating is true then.
    Looks like for me it will have to be apply vinyl to a magnet.
    Pity as it would have been a goer if I could have got photos on the magnet.
    Tony I can print (versacamm) vinyl for you to apply to the mag sheet if it helps you out with this. Drop me a pm if it's of interest to you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony

Can you please let me know where you get your magnetic signs from. I have been asked by a customer if I can do them, I would be happier going to someone who is recommended rather than just finding someone on the net.

Many thanks

Colin

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Colin

Are you looking to get the actual signs done or just the magnetic material? If you are after magnetic material then I have purchased from wayne@magnetic-solutions-ltd.co.uk who I totally recommend.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Thank you, yes it is just the material that I need. I will get on to them. Once again many thanks Colin

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I would like to come back to this post as have related question, rather than starting new one.
    So... could you explain to me what are the methods of doing on-car magnets ??
    Is it ok to stick cutted vinyl on them? Are there any sublimation magnets available ?