Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Sawgrass/Ricoh
    By Quinsfan in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-03-2015, 02:20 PM
  2. Should never have bought Sawgrass and Ricoh
    By roobear in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 15-02-2014, 09:10 PM
  3. Ricoh SG 7100 Sawgrass registration problems. Help????
    By Steve S in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 10:02 PM
  4. Sawgrass Powerdriver for Ricoh - How to Upgrade?
    By Stitch Up in forum Printers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ricoh with non-Sawgrass ink ... it works!

Well, it has been talked about quite a bit, whether non-Sawgrass inks would work well or even at all in a Ricoh printer. There is currently a GX7000 with refill carts and ink being sold on a well known internet auction site. But, not being sold as a startup package, but a used and working system set up by the seller, including a mug press and mugs, and has photographed the mugs he's printed with it too (which don't look like he got the set up profiled which is a shame)
    Obviously, with Ricoh not making a wide format inkjet printer, this discovery is not going to lead to a licensed system in the eyes of Sawgrass, even thought the inks in question were proper licensed ones, not cheap Chinese stuff. So a shame, but at least the question is answered.

- I have purposefully not linked to the auction in question, or mentioned the ink brand used, as this wasn't intended to be an advert for the auction of the inks, but more informative to say that in theory it is technically possible to not use Sawgrass inks in a Ricoh successfully.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, but opens up a whole can of worms ;)

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very interesting Pisquee.

Am looking forward to meeting Sawgrass at FESPA. While I do not mind that they hold the patent and I think the cost of the ink is okay, one thing that does frustrate me is the constant changing of carts. I would love a CISS system for my Ricoh even with Sawgrass inks in them. Am hoping that I can try and get them to look into it.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't mind that they have a patent - the type of sublimation ink that they invented is a remarkable concept, and one that should have been patented. Just a shame they gave up on it and now use piezo headed printers. If they had kept going with their oringal concept then we could then also have the option of using Bubblejet printers aswell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon, you might find this interesting but, where do you buy the ink from to put in them? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Refillable...item337fb5383f

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well, those are City Ink's refill carts ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally I would only stick with Sawgrass Ink, my business is too important to get ink from elsewhere and risk the problems associated with it. So I would rather apply pressure to Sawgrass to sell CISS systems for the Ricoh.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There may be issues with using some sublimation inks especially the cheap generic stuff (I do read plenty of reports of people having problems with Sawgrass inks too, so they aren't immune either) But if using a high quality branded ink, from a company licensed by Sawgrass to produce these inks, and used by big print factories, then there shouldn't be an issue in terms of quality of the inks.
    We too value our business very highly, as it is what brings us our money to live off etc, but this doesn't mean I am going to believe that Sawgrass are the best just because that is the accepted norm, especially when taking into account that they charge nearly 6 times the price compared to professional sublimation inks - that's a big chunk of profit margin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hi Pisquee

I agree with you totally.

The only reason I would stick with Sawgrass is because my sublimation printer is only A3. Hence as Sawgrass have the patent I kind of have to use them, the reason I say this is because should I encounter a problem I have the back up of knowing that some phone calls later I will get answers unlike other ink manufacturers for small printers.

Many moons ago the first 7000 I owned developed a fault. This came from Xpress and I called them as the machine was in warranty. They told me a Ricoh engineer will come out to me but first I need to put some "normal" ink in the machine and flush it through. My reply is not repeatable but essentially I said that they had sold me a sublimation printer and I am not going to faff around so Ricoh would not know what sort of ink I was using. Apparently they contacted Sawgrass and between them agreed to simply send me a new printer which they did and it is still running today.

Now I am not sure what went on between Xpress and Sawgrass and don't particularly care, all I know is that by purchasing the machine from a reputable supplier and also using a reputable (although not perfect) ink manufacturer I got the back up when I needed it.

I have often thought of going wide format so, like you, would have the choice of ink manufacturers, but I do not think I print enough to warrant it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like SG above I have a 7700 and can't risk it going 'Tango Uniform', losing my support to save a relatively few £'s on non sawgrass inks....but each to their own, the world would be very boring if we all went the same way.