Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-04-2015, 12:57 PM
  2. Is Direct to Garment printing getting rid of transfer printing?
    By Pascale in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-04-2013, 06:00 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what would you use if you were printing on....?

First off, i apologize for posting a broad question in the PRINTERS section for i need info on an entire setup. I have found vague info throughout the internet on my research into printing on light weight polyester. and light weight nylon. What i want to do is print MY art work on hair salon hair cutting capes like the ones your barber or hair stylist put on you when you get a haircut. I researched this a few years ago and folks told me it would be difficult to transfer for the heat would ruin the garment, direct printers seem very expensive and im just a hobbyist. I have sold designs through a fulfillment company for over ten years but they seem not interested in adding capes to their product line. If you were to take on this task, what equipment would you use? i really don't want to get into screen printing so would have to be digital images transferred in some way...thanks for any tips you might have for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sublimation printing will work on white 100% polyester - but most of the capes I've seen have been black.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    nylon is a polymer so should be fine as well as polyester, but as mentioned above it would need to a light colour to be able to dye-sublimate it.
    So, you would need a printer with sublimation ink, and a heat press. I would recommend getting a sample garment and getting someone else to try sublimation printing onto it for you, before you go and buy a load of kit!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've kind of discounted nylon as it won't take the heat used to sublimate - well at least the nylon zipper bags I used didn't, and i've got around a few thousand of them sitting in my unit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes white was my choice of garment, im a hair stylist also and we do use white as well, if your a guy often time stylist will put a black cape on ya so you don't feel out of sorts..lol THATS a good idea to have some one try it first with their equipment!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the day I used to screen print these by the thousand, all black

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    You can heat press vinyl into nylon, it goes on at a lower temp for a quick application time.
    Last edited by Justin; 22-02-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, so to do this i would need to print on vinyl? then transfer to nylon? would this solve some of the dark garment issues? i guess what i mean is would printing on vinyl first help render a non translucent image? hey thanks all BTW for all the great ideas!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    we do them in vinyl, and have used obm too, looking forward to using white wow. (both from the magic touch)
    we usually print back to front so they look good through the mirror.
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its just one colour basic text, you'll need a plotter to cut the vinyl, then, once weeded, a heat press to press it onto the capes. No printing involved.