Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Newbie little advice needed please
    By bigair in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-03-2018, 01:12 AM
  2. Newbie after some advice
    By Neilb78 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 07:36 AM
  3. newbie after some advice
    By Neilb78 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 11:45 PM
  4. newbie needs advice please!
    By flash baz in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-02-2012, 10:22 AM
  5. Newbie little advice needed please
    By bigair in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-10-2010, 12:23 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help a newbie out - Need Advice

[hr][/hr] So i am a new startup and i have been researching a bit into a field of Sublimation. We have been using a special printer using alcohol based ink to print directly onto phone cases. The process is slow (1 hour prior coating, etc). Looking into sublimation has gotten me interested in the process as it appears to be faster and easier process with similar results. I have looked around an have come up with this possible set up. Please let me know if i got anything wrong or if there is a better solution.

Machine
    Vacuum II 3D Sublimation iPhone Case Transfer machine, View 3D Sublimation iPhone Case Transfer machine, Microtec Product Details from Microtec Technology Printing Co., Ltd on Alibaba.com

The above machine was my 1st choice ( will probably have to order 3). It is priced around $600 Cnd each. I want to know if anyone has seen this one before or know if its any good.

Printer - Epson Artisan 1430
    Epson Artisan 1430 Inkjet Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

After much searching i decided on this printer as i am a newbie still at this and wanted to get an affordable machine before purchasing a $1000+ printer. i know it has good reviews but would like to know if it is good quality.

Paper - TruePix
    Sublimation Transfer Paper

Basically looked around and tried to find the best paper for sublimation on phone cases

Ink - I have no idea...
    I have looked at sawgrass website and cannot tell which ink i should use. Please if you have any recommendations, i would like to hear your input.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi XpressDesigns

Welcome to the forum and I see that you are residing in my favourite city!

I do not have much knowledge on 3d machines but what I do have I will share :-)

Printer, Personally I use a Ricoh as there are less print head blockages. You can turn a Ricoh off, leave it for a few weeks and then turn it back on and it should work perfect straight away. Epsons do produce better quality pictures but in my opinion the quality is only marginal.

Paper, Trupix is a great paper, but I thought you needed a special film type paper for 3d machines. Have a look on www.printerowners.co.uk who sell 3d machines as well as the supplies. It is £100 for 100 A4 (US letter) size sheets.

Ink, Sawgrass inks are good and I would recommend sticking with them. You can use Sublijet R or Visi Sub inks as they are the same ink but just in a different box. You are not supposed to use any other ink in a small format (or desktop) printer as Sawgrass hold the patent. I think the patent runs out later this year.

I am sure there are others on here with far superior knowledge and may correct some of the above :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks your your response. It gave me a bit of insight and areas to check.
    Printer
    Hopefully, i will be using this everyday (at least almost) and should get good use out of it. If not i will make sure to clean it everyday or two
    Paper
    I will ask the supplier tonight if the paper is the same. If you sublimate(not sure if this is even a term) a mug using a press, is it the same paper sublimation paper?
    Ink
    I only strive for best quality and saving a few bucks just to product an inferior product makes no sense =) Make better charge more XD. Thank you for the advise i will stick to sawgrass and probably stick with Artainium sublimation ink as long as the paper situation is resolved. (hopefully the same type of ink is used)

Edit: I have looked on the site you gave me www.printerowners.co.uk, they don't sell any other type of paper i can see (holy cow their price is 3 times as much as buying from china. Same machine) Hopefully i can stick with buying paper from tropical graphics
    Last edited by XpressDesigns; 19-03-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im led to believe you dont require the film sheets for this 3d vacuum. Ive been informed that the paper we use for sublimation eg xpress.will work just fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys so much. I will be sure to post a full review of the machine and stuff so people can see if its worth their time as well. It seems to be a pretty good way of sublimation because of its compact size and price. So i will go with sawgrass, Epson 1430 and truepix.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Xpress

I think there are a heap of people on here that would be interested in your review so we wait in anticipation :-)

Trupix paper is the paper I use for Mugs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill do a video review of the product. I am getting it expressed delivered here. Also the company i am dealing with has 9 year gold status so they have a bit of backing. If anything hopefully my purchase will help people. I am also getting shot glasses, mugs and phone cases. Ill make reviews of each item so you can see quality of the print and stuff. I express ordered printer on amazon. Should be here in 2 days (thursday for me). Ink and paper i will go to Tropicalgraphics tomorrow (1 hour pubby ride T_T). The machine itself is also being expressed delivered. Please let me know if i need anything other then what i listed. Where can i find the ICSS or whatever its called for sawgrasses Atu-muchi-ya-call-it UV ink?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Xpress

you will find ICC profiles of supported printers for Sawgrass inks on the Sawgrass website. www.sawgrassink.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So just went to tropicalgraphics today in Toronto. Location is small and is kinda messy however service is outstanding. The owner was extremely helpful and answered a bunch of my questions as i am new still. But wow, didn't expect a bill for $760 for ink, paper and stuff. Just wondering though, I think he included a bit extra for me. Not too sure. how much would 5 x 75 ml bottles for each color and one 150 ml black normally be? i was charged $544.00 before tax.