Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Who here prints wide format?
    By Andrew in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-02-2016, 12:22 PM
  2. Wide Format - Available Options
    By Justin in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2014, 07:40 PM
  3. Wide Format or not??
    By Richeyg in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 04:18 PM
  4. New A3 or Used wide format..?
    By JMugs in forum Printers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-07-2013, 12:53 PM
  5. Wide format printing
    By purpledragon in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wide format fabric prints blowing out?

Have a question for people who print wide format banners. How often do you have to rerun prints due to images blowing out? We experience this more than I'd like to recount and at the point where I believe it's not possible to do this. Just curious if this is an issue for others and if not I'd like to hear how you're accomplishing it.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Versacamm and never had any colour problems except when the print head went bust.

What printer are you using?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use a roto press then you should get a perfect print every time but this can be dependent on fabric.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of factor that go into making a good print. It sounds like the amount of ink may be too much for your fabric if it's bleeding. It may also be your temperature or how you are heating it. If the temperature is too high, it will cause the image to blow out. Also, you need to have coated poly or poly blend fabrics for dye-sublimation to work correctly. I only have to re-run due to weeping (which means cleaning or cap change) or when the color is not quite what I want. I don't really have issues with blow-out or bleeding.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have 10 Roland Printers -- Vary between 540's 740's and 1045s. The only time i have a problem is with larger prints -- we are transferring on a Kleverik 125 inch rotary press. I also have 5 rotary presses, but only run larger prints on the kleverik. I don't consider myself an expert but i've been doing this for 20+ years and have seen about every issue known to man in the sublimation realm, most we could fix, this one has eaten my lunch. It is becoming a consistent theme. My company makes products for the Collegiate and Pro Sports markets as well as high school, etc. I do very little printing of images on small format work. Instead we have to hit very specific pantones which causes us to probably use more ink than most anyone else who does this. I've adjusted every variable i know how and it's not fabric specific as it doesn't discriminate. Beaver has sent me 3 different papers, we've adjusted ink limits, profiles, time of day, letting prints sit and dry, transferring them immediately after printing, etc etc. I am starting to believe that its impossible to run anything over 50 inches, and it's all a hoax. Here is our most recent attempt. Ink limit is probably half of normal. I have 3 rolls of paper waiting to transfer and i'm terrified to attempt. Just a waste of fabric. They all follow the same pattern. First few feet is fine, then it completely goes sideways without rhyme or reason. Any one have any miracles?

blowout (640x480) (300x225).jpgblowout2 (300x225).jpgblowout3 (640x480) (300x225).jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarFlagMaker View Post
    I currently have 10 Roland Printers -- Vary between 540's 740's and 1045s. The only time i have a problem is with larger prints -- we are transferring on a Kleverik 125 inch rotary press. I also have 5 rotary presses, but only run larger prints on the kleverik. I don't consider myself an expert but i've been doing this for 20+ years and have seen about every issue known to man in the sublimation realm, most we could fix, this one has eaten my lunch. It is becoming a consistent theme. My company makes products for the Collegiate and Pro Sports markets as well as high school, etc. I do very little printing of images on small format work. Instead we have to hit very specific pantones which causes us to probably use more ink than most anyone else who does this. I've adjusted every variable i know how and it's not fabric specific as it doesn't discriminate. Beaver has sent me 3 different papers, we've adjusted ink limits, profiles, time of day, letting prints sit and dry, transferring them immediately after printing, etc etc. I am starting to believe that its impossible to run anything over 50 inches, and it's all a hoax. Here is our most recent attempt. Ink limit is probably half of normal. I have 3 rolls of paper waiting to transfer and i'm terrified to attempt. Just a waste of fabric. They all follow the same pattern. First few feet is fine, then it completely goes sideways without rhyme or reason. Any one have any miracles?

blowout (640x480) (300x225).jpgblowout2 (300x225).jpgblowout3 (640x480) (300x225).jpg

Sounds like you know what you are doing. We print direct-to-Fabric with our large format, I have never done paper transfer on large format. We print products for Collegiate and ProSports as well as HighSchools too, and need to match colors. I know we went through a lot of fabric and inks before finding the magic combination. There was a lot of frustration.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I'm just aggravated. I know you can feel the pain. I have put off the direct to fabric for years but i guess that is the road that i'm headed. Just more aggravated that i actually bought the sales job of this paper transfer solution and i just don't think it works for large prints. What types of items do you make? Can exchange info and see if there is any opportunities to work together on something. Good luck to you.

Regards
    CFM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me that just looks like the material was not totally flat under the heat source. The larger the material the harder to keep it going through evenly on a rotary. I guess there are limitations on size and you have found it. Never used a rotary myself but recognise those markings from other products and it basically comes down to lack of direct contact.

Sounds like you have a good operation there. I need to be doing flags here so pity you are US based. Only one or two companies in the UK and they have the market sewn up. Talking of sewing, do you cut and sew stuff as well?

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Are you using a sticky transfer paper to help keep the fabric and paper together?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, thanks for replying. The material is pulled tight.

Pisquee, no i don't use sticky paper. I use Beaver 106" texprint xp. The conundrum is that everything else i run, no issues. Until we go over 50-60" in width and 7-8 Ft in Length. If i run 3 ft x 8 ft it runs perfect. But when i go larger, ie 5 or 8 ft x 7 or 12 -- it completely goes sideways. That is why i think deep down it doesn't work as it's sold.